Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:29 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Re: Lady Oil Engineer 770 GMAT 3.7 GPA Historical Black College [#permalink]
Kudos
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Loooooking gooood!!!!
770, black female and in petrol = you can apply wherever the heck you want, cause you are one MIGHTY STRONG candidate!!!!

Just make sure you write awesome essays!

But please, do tell us a bit more about your work experience, length of time, what you did, what leadership you have. This also counts for something.

Writing essays isn’t exactly a strength of mine. I come from a Portuguese speaking Brazilian family, and am a first generation American. The public schools growing up in NYC weren’t really the best, but I am naturally talented on the quantitate side.

My leadership in college might be upsetting to some. I founded and was president of the Gay and Lesbian Society and also was treasurer of the College Democrats, but never put on that stuff on my work resumes since its already hard enough as a female.

Employment wise, from 2005 to 2009, a reservoir and drilling engineer. From 2010 to 2012, I was promoted to project manager at the same company and was also lured away to work elsewhere for more money. Now, I see a glass ceiling has been hit.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3118 [1]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
"female" and "petroleum engineer" in the same sentence.. That is one rare sentence.. :P
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
PLUS Founder of Gay and Lesbian Society?!?!?! PLUS Treasurer of Democrat committee???
Geez Louise! You really did everything right :)

You are definitely a top-notch candidate. And in that case I'd suggest just getting some assistance with your essays, and then the rest should be good.
VP
VP
Status:Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Send PM
Hi Jada,

You have very good GMAT score and decent GPA. You stand a very good chance in top 15 b-schools. You can try your chances in b-schools by clicking https://goo.gl/em5DX. To convert your chances from application to admission, you need to skillfully showcase leadership traits, achievements at work place, professionalism and ability to work with others while writing application essays and demonstrate the same during final interview

Let me know in case of other queries you might have.

Cheers!!
Neha

priveqoiler wrote:
My name is Jada, and am a female petroleum engineer considering an MBA education to go into private equity in the energy sector. From New York, graduated in 2005 with a 3.7 GPA from a historical black college, and scored a 770 GMAT on my recent first attempt. Have been working since undergrad and really just want to start my MBA in the fall, but just don’t know where to apply or even what my chances would be this late in application cycle. Any advice is very much welcomed! Thanks guys!
GMAT Club Bot