Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:04 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30787 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [2]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2103 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Re: Laos has a land area about the same as Great Britain but only four mil [#permalink]
Official Explanation:

Logical predication; Grammatical construction
The comparison in this sentence is between the land area of Laos and the land area of Great Britain, not between the land area of Laos and Great Britain. The phrase about the population of Laos is most clearly and efficiently expressed in an appositive using a relative pronoun to refer back to people rather than the more abstract population. Using this construction keeps the appropriate emphasis on the two main claims being made about Laos, one describing its land area and the other its sparse population.
A The comparison between land area and Great Britain is incorrect; where is an inappropriate referent to population, which does not designate a place.
B Inappropriate comparison between land area and Great Britain; the there is …construction is wordy and imprecise.
C The reference of them is unclear and the expression is generally awkward.
D The coordinating conjunction and gives undue emphasis to the claim that many of the people in Laos live in inaccessible places.
E Correct. The land area of Laos is correctly compared to that of Great Britain; whom refers appropriately to people.
The correct answer is E.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Re: Laos has a land area about the same as Great Britain but only four mil [#permalink]
Quote:
E. Laos has a land area comparable to that of Great Britain but a population of only four million people, many of whom are members of hill tribes ensconced in the virtually inaccessible mountain valleys of the north.

If we strip it down, it becomes:
Laos has a land area comparable to that of Great Britain but a population of only four million people, [many of whom are members of hill tribes ensconced in the virtually inaccessible mountain valleys of the north.]

I am not able to figure out 2nd part of sentence without any verb . Does not it sound incomplete? . Should it not be :
1. Laos has a land area comparable to that of Great Britain but has a population of only four million people,

If we take literal meaning it could be weird also as:
2. Laos has a land area comparable to that of Great Britain but a population of only four million people - Great Britain that has population of only 4 million people ( as if area that has 4 million people in Great Britain)

Point what i want to emphasize is : GMAT like to have complete and concise meaning without ambiguity. But in option E , it seems something is missing.

Please suggest AndrewN sir.

thanks!
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
imSKR wrote:
Quote:
E. Laos has a land area comparable to that of Great Britain but a population of only four million people, many of whom are members of hill tribes ensconced in the virtually inaccessible mountain valleys of the north.

Laos has a land area comparable to that of Great Britain but a population of only four million people, [many of whom are members of hill tribes ensconced in the virtually inaccessible mountain valleys of the north.]

I am not able to figure out 2nd part of sentence without any verb . Does not it sound incomplete? . Should it not be :
1. Laos has a land area comparable to that of Great Britain but has a population of only four million people,

2. Laos has a land area comparable to that of Great Britain but a population of only four million people - Great Britain that has population of only 4 million people ( as if area that has 4 million people in Great Britain)

Point what i want to emphasize is : GMAT like to have complete and concise meaning without ambiguity. But in option E , it seems something is missing.

thanks!

Hello, imSKR. The has of the former part of the sentence carries over to the latter, after the conjunction but. Thus, we understand choice (E) to mean that Laos has a land area comparable to [the land area] of Great Britain but [has] a population of only four million people. Remember that conjunctions, when used without a comma, join two elements in parallel. It is not uncommon to elide or leave out the verb that is understood to apply to the second phrase or clause in the same manner as the first. Watch those conjunctions!

Thank you for calling my attention to the question.

- Andrew
VP
VP
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
imSKR wrote:
Quote:

thanks!

Hello, imSKR. The has of the former part of the sentence carries over to the latter, after the conjunction but. Thus, we understand choice (E) to mean that Laos has a land area comparable to [the land area] of Great Britain but [has] a population of only four million people. Remember that conjunctions, when used without a comma, join two elements in parallel. It is not uncommon to elide or leave out the verb that is understood to apply to the second phrase or clause in the same manner as the first. Watch those conjunctions!

Thank you for calling my attention to the question.

- Andrew

Hi Sir

So if no comma before conjunction then verb would be carried over as you mentioned above.
What if there is comma then usually need to repeat the verb/helping verb? If it is not repeated then it could be an error?

Sorry , I didn't notice such difference before with or without comma before conjunction in correlation with verb carrying forward.
Please confirm.

Thanks!
Volunteer Expert
Kudos
Expert Reply
imSKR wrote:

Hi Sir

So if no comma before conjunction then verb would be carried over as you mentioned above.
What if there is comma then usually need to repeat the verb/helping verb? If it is not repeated then it could be an error?

Sorry , I didn't notice such difference before with or without comma before conjunction in correlation with verb carrying forward.
Please confirm.

Thanks!

Yes, the comma makes a big difference. If you see one, it is typically indicating that the sentence consists of two independent clauses. And of course, you cannot have two independent clauses without a proper subject and predicate in the second portion. You should still pay attention to parallelism when a comma is present, but the independent clauses are not quite as tightly governed. Consider the following:

1) Jim has a fever and a sore throat.

2) Jim has a fever, but he still practices the piano every day.

Either sentence is fine. In the first, has carries over into the second item; in the latter sentence, if I wanted to use has again, I would need to replace the verb practices and alter the rest of the predicate accordingly (e.g., but he still has piano practice every day).

- Andrew
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
I marked Choice E as wrong because I thought there needed to be a has after "but". The wording is awkward, but why do you not need a has? Thank you in advance :)
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
woohoo921 wrote:
I marked Choice E as wrong because I thought there needed to be a has after "but". The wording is awkward, but why do you not need a has? Thank you in advance :)

This is a fairly common construction. Consider an example:

"Tim's children had 17 temper tantrums two nights ago but only 12 tantrums last night, leading Tim to conclude that the medication he was slipping into his children's pancakes was working."

Because the components in red are both objects of the action, "had," there's no need to repeat the verb. We know the writer must mean that the kids had 17 tantrums one night and had 12 tantrums the next night, as there's no other way to interpret the sentence. This construction is perfectly fine.

Same deal in (E). In "Laos has a land area...but a population," the parts in red are again objects of the same verb, "has," so it's not essential to repeat it.

The takeaway: Don't try to memorize the idea that objects can be connected with a conjunction! The point here is that if you'd read (E) with an emphasis on meaning, you would have realized that it made perfect sense and held on to it. If an option is logical, and there's a construction that might be problematic, but you're not 100% sure, try not to use that construction as a decision point! Instead, rely on the issues you're sure about -- concrete grammatical errors and meaning problems.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 297
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
Send PM
Hi,
I eliminated C for using 'as' incorrectly(as per my analysis). Can this be a solid reason to eliminate option C? Same goes for option A also!! Is it OK, or am I picking wrong decision point?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mck2023 wrote:
Hi,
I eliminated C for using 'as' incorrectly(as per my analysis). Can this be a solid reason to eliminate option C? Same goes for option A also!! Is it OK, or am I picking wrong decision point?

Its not just as; it is same as.

So, there is nothing wrong in C in the following construct:

Laos has a land area that is about the same size as Great Britain's land area.
VP
VP
Send PM
Quote:
Laos has a land area about the same as Great Britain but only four million in population, where many are members of hill tribes ensconced in the virtually inaccessible mountain valleys of the north.

(A) about the same as Great Britain but only four million in population, where many
(B) of about the same size as Great Britain is, but in Laos there is a population of only four million, and many
(C) that is about the same size as Great Britain's land area, but in Laos with a population of only four million people, many of them
(D) comparable to the size of Great Britain, but only four million in population, and many
(E) comparable to that of Great Britain but a population of only four million people, many of whom

Hi AndrewN GMATNinja

This question catches my attention once again.

A silly question :
[quote]Laos has a land area comparable to that of Great Britain but a population of only four million people, many of whom are members of hill tribes ensconced in the virtually inaccessible mountain valleys of the north.

population of only four million people is not redudant?
Population means here people who inhabit a territory or state/lives there
we can say 4 million people or population of 4 million?

Please confirm .

Thanks!
Volunteer Expert
Kudos
Expert Reply
imSKR wrote:
Quote:
Laos has a land area about the same as Great Britain but only four million in population, where many are members of hill tribes ensconced in the virtually inaccessible mountain valleys of the north.

(A) about the same as Great Britain but only four million in population, where many
(B) of about the same size as Great Britain is, but in Laos there is a population of only four million, and many
(C) that is about the same size as Great Britain's land area, but in Laos with a population of only four million people, many of them
(D) comparable to the size of Great Britain, but only four million in population, and many
(E) comparable to that of Great Britain but a population of only four million people, many of whom

Hi AndrewN GMATNinja

This question catches my attention once again.

A silly question :
Quote:
Laos has a land area comparable to that of Great Britain but a population of only four million people, many of whom are members of hill tribes ensconced in the virtually inaccessible mountain valleys of the north.

population of only four million people is not redudant?
Population means here people who inhabit a territory or state/lives there
we can say 4 million people or population of 4 million?

Please confirm .

Thanks!

Hello, imSKR. Just because Laos is mentioned does not mean that we are necessarily talking about Laotians, and the same can be said for Great Britain and the British (or Britons, if you prefer). A different sentence could just as easily swap out people for, I don't know, pigeons, and the comparison would be just as valid. Although the context of this particular sentence suggests that the part before the comma is referring to people, and the part after the comma definitely spells it out—I cannot imagine pigeons being described as members of hill tribes—the meaning conveyed by the comparison would be unclear until the latter half of the sentence, and you probably know by now that clarity of meaning rests atop the GMAT™ SC pyramid. That is, since the first half of the sentence is lengthy, this might be a case in which it would be better to risk redundancy after the fact (once someone has read the entire sentence) than to delay the clear expression of vital meaning. In short, either spelling out the comparison or letting the context of the sentence fill in the gap can work, but it depends on the sentence you are examining.

I hope that helps. Thank you for thinking to ask me.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Schools: Harvard '24
Send PM
GMATNinja

Hi but when I use the conjunction "BUT" i do not need always the comma before? "x, but y"

many thanks
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gastoneMIT wrote:
GMATNinja

Hi but when I use the conjunction "BUT" i do not need always the comma before? "x, but y"

many thanks

If you are using "but" to join two independent clauses, then you definitely need the comma. For example:

Tim thought about buying a Porsche Spyder, but he wasn't happy with its gas mileage.

After the "but" in (E), we really only have a noun ("a population") and a bunch of modifiers -- no verb. Since we don't have an independent clause after the conjunction ("but"), a comma isn't required.

For more on (E), check out this post.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 407
Send PM
Hi everyone..

what is wrong with saying "Laos has the same area as Great Britain" ?? here we are comparing Laos and Great Britain...so the 1st bit in option A isn't wrong right?

Another example - "gmat requires the same effort as the GRE"... here i am comparing the gmat to the gre..right?

The reason i am asking all this is that I have read similar constructions/structures quite a few times in online articles/news etc etc, though i agree everything cannot be considered reliable especially when we are talking about the gmat.

Of course the above two sentence can also be written as "The area of Laos is the same as that of Great Britain" and "the effort required for the gmat is the same as that for the gre" ,respectively - in these, we are comparing the area of one place to the area of another and the effort for one exam to the effort for the other, respectively.

GMATNinja AjiteshArun VeritasKarishma GMATNinjaTwo .. hi experts, please help... looking forward to hearing from you guys.. regards,
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
goaltop30mba wrote:
Hi everyone..

what is wrong with saying "Laos has the same area as Great Britain" ?? here we are comparing Laos and Great Britain...so the 1st bit in option A isn't wrong right?

Another example - "gmat requires the same effort as the GRE"... here i am comparing the gmat to the gre..right?

The reason i am asking all this is that I have read similar constructions/structures quite a few times in online articles/news etc etc, though i agree everything cannot be considered reliable especially when we are talking about the gmat.

Of course the above two sentence can also be written as "The area of Laos is the same as that of Great Britain" and "the effort required for the gmat is the same as that for the gre" ,respectively - in these, we are comparing the area of one place to the area of another and the effort for one exam to the effort for the other, respectively.

GMATNinja AjiteshArun VeritasKarishma GMATNinjaTwo .. hi experts, please help... looking forward to hearing from you guys.. regards,

Hi goaltop30mba,

I see where you're coming from on this, but wouldn't something like "the same amount of effort" be a better fit for that sentence? As for the first sentence ("Laos has the same area as Great Britain"), we don't want to imply that they share an area.

1. Vikram Chandra has the same agent as Jhumpa Lahiri. ← "X has the same A as Y (has)" means that they share that A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 227
Send PM
SergeyOrshanskiy wrote:
"Land area" can mean two different things. It can mean the acreage, i.e. the number of acres, as in One MIT study claims that, in some U.S. cities, parking lots cover more than a third of the land area. It can also mean just some territory, not its size, as in Thunderstorms are well-monitored over land areas, where radar can keep an eye on their sometimes- quick development.

B and C mention the size of the land area; thus, they assume the second interpretation above. C then proceeds to use the expression "land area" in the first sense, i.e. size. Thus, C compares the size of one land area with another land area, which seems unnecessarily complicated. Now, B is more logical, yet B changes the meaning of the sentence! We can also say that the United States has a land area of about the same size as the entire Great Britain; for example, the State of Texas would qualify. A suggests that many people in Great Britain are members of hill tribes.

In D the non-idiomatic "but only four million in population" is offset by commas, which suggests that "many are members..." should make sense with the first part of the sentence: "Laos has a land area comparable to the size of Great Britain, and many are members..." Even if we rewrite the sentence to say "Laos has four million citizens, and many are members...", this still doesn't quite sound right because it is not specified, many of whom or of what. It would be better to say "Laos has four million citizens, many of whom are members..."

Basically, we are left with E. Note that "...to that of Great Britain..." makes it clear, in which sense the words "land area" are used. In this context Great Britain has one, the land area, which is a number, rather than a piece of land. The logic of the sentence still escapes me. I understand that Laos is sparsely populated, but why this detail about hill tribes? Is it saying that the mountain valleys are densely populated, thus even further lowering the population density at the accessible part of Laos?

In what way is "but only four million in population" unidiomatic? Cant we say "a population of only four million"?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 180
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: IIMA PGPX'23
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hi AndrewN egmat AjiteshArun

Regarding Option-C, Could you please confirm that these following splits are whether correct or not:

1) Run-On as two independent clauses are connected using a comma
IC1: Laos has a land area that is about the same size as Great Britain's land area
IC2: many of them are members of hill tribes ensconced in the virtually inaccessible mountain valleys of the north.

Or 'BUT' in ", but in Laos with a population of only four million people," is serving as conjunction?

2) Faulty Parallelism between "a land area" AND " in Laos with a population of only four million people"

TIA

Regards
Rohit
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts