Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 01:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Laos has a land area about the same as Great Britain but

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 70 [2] , given: 101

GMAT Tests User
Laos has a land area about the same as Great Britain but [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2010, 19:31
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (02:08) correct 37% (01:12) wrong based on 592 sessions
Laos has a land area about the same as Great Britain but only four million in population, where many are members of hill tribes ensconced in the virtually inaccessible mountain vallyes of the north.
A) about the same as Great Britain but only four million in population, where many
B) of about the same size as Great Britain is, but in Laos there is a population of only four million, and many
C) that is about the same size as Great Britain's land area, but in Laos with a population of only four million people, many of them
D) comparable to the size of Great Britain, but only four million in population, and many
E) comparable to that of Great Britain but a population of only four million people, many of whom
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GPA: 3.89
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 48 [4] , given: 13

Re: Laos has a land area about the same as Great Britain but [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 22:14
This post received
KUDOS
"Land area" can mean two different things. It can mean the acreage, i.e. the number of acres, as in One MIT study claims that, in some U.S. cities, parking lots cover more than a third of the land area. It can also mean just some territory, not its size, as in Thunderstorms are well-monitored over land areas, where radar can keep an eye on their sometimes- quick development.

B and C mention the size of the land area; thus, they assume the second interpretation above. C then proceeds to use the expression "land area" in the first sense, i.e. size. Thus, C compares the size of one land area with another land area, which seems unnecessarily complicated. Now, B is more logical, yet B changes the meaning of the sentence! We can also say that the United States has a land area of about the same size as the entire Great Britain; for example, the State of Texas would qualify. A suggests that many people in Great Britain are members of hill tribes.

In D the non-idiomatic "but only four million in population" is offset by commas, which suggests that "many are members..." should make sense with the first part of the sentence: "Laos has a land area comparable to the size of Great Britain, and many are members..." Even if we rewrite the sentence to say "Laos has four million citizens, and many are members...", this still doesn't quite sound right because it is not specified, many of whom or of what. It would be better to say "Laos has four million citizens, many of whom are members..."

Basically, we are left with E. Note that "...to that of Great Britain..." makes it clear, in which sense the words "land area" are used. In this context Great Britain has one, the land area, which is a number, rather than a piece of land. The logic of the sentence still escapes me. I understand that Laos is sparsely populated, but why this detail about hill tribes? Is it saying that the mountain valleys are densely populated, thus even further lowering the population density at the accessible part of Laos?

Sergey Orshanskiy, Ph.D.
I tutor in NYC: http://www.wyzant.com/Tutors/NY/New-Yor ... ref=1RKFOZ

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 5.0
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [3] , given: 315

Re: Laos has a land area about the same as Great Britain [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2011, 00:57
This post received
KUDOS
TomB wrote:
option C compares two countries land area properly, and there is correct referent for "population"(Laos). In option e there is no clear referent for "population". plz explain

actually, we were at the same page chosing option C. But after reviewing, C compares "size" with "land area" while E compares "land area" with "land area" ("that of"). Moreover, option E ascertains us by using the correct idiom "Laos has X but (Laos also has) Y"
Hope it helps

Consider giving me kudos if you find my explanations helpful so i can learn how to express ideas to people more understandable.

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 41

GMAT Tests User
Re: Laos has a land area about the same as Great Britain [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2010, 02:54
This post received
KUDOS
E
Comparision markers == that, as for split

Correct comparision of area of two regions = E

http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-test/

Amazing Platform

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 75

Re: Laos has a land area about the same as Great Britain but [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 23:26
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Laos has a land area about the same as Great Britain but only four million in population, where many are members of hill tribes ensconced in the virtually inaccessible mountain vallyes of the north.
A) about the same as Great Britain but only four million in population, where many. Comparing land area with Great Britain
B) of about the same size as Great Britain is, but in Laos there is a population of only four million, and many. Comparing land area with Great Britain
C) that is about the same size as Great Britain's land area, but in Laos with a population of only four million people, many of them. After "But" prepositional phrase which is not parallel to preceding part of the sentence
D) comparable to the size of Great Britain, but only four million in population, and many. Comparing land area with size ofGreat Britain
E) comparable to that of Great Britain but a population of only four million people, many of whom. correct

YOU CAN, IF YOU THINK YOU CAN

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Laos has a land area about the same as Great Britain [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2010, 12:29
option C compares two countries land area properly, and there is correct referent for "population"(Laos). In option e there is no clear referent for "population". plz explain
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 5.0

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 315

Re: Laos has a land area about the same as Great Britain [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 20:48
anilnandyala wrote:
whats wrong with d

1. D compares "the land area" with "the size" while E compares "the land area" of Laos with "land area of Great Britain" by using "that of" to replace "land area"
2. Moreover D is awkward by using the construction "and many" which implies the paralel meaning while it should be the modifier of "four million in population" because these people actually are from this group.
3. In addtion, "four million in population" is not idiomatic. It should be "a population of only four million ..."
There are at least three reasons to eliminate D, i think

Consider giving me kudos if you find my explanations helpful so i can learn how to express ideas to people more understandable.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 5

Re: Laos has a land area about the same as Great Britain [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 09:05
MICKEYXITIN wrote:
TomB wrote:
Moreover, option E ascertains us by using the correct idiom "Laos has X but (Laos also has) Y"
Hope it helps

Hi all,

For those researching answers for this question, I would like to add that "X but Y" is not an idiom to justify an answer.

There is:
Not X but Y
Not only X but Y
Not X but instead Y

The conjunction "but" typically introduces something contrary to the subject or prior( or subsequent) independent clause.
Please let me know if I'm in error. Thanks! :)

A little kudos never hurt anyone. :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: Laos has a land area about the same as Great Britain but [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 14:35
anilnandyala wrote:
A) about the same as Great Britain but only four million in population, where many
B) of about the same size as Great Britain is, but in Laos there is a population of only four million, and many
C) that is about the same size as Great Britain's land area, but in Laos with a population of only four million people, many of them
D) comparable to the size of Great Britain, but only four million in population, and many
E) comparable to that of Great Britain but a population of only four million people, many of whom

this is not easy one. it takes me a long time

"with a pupulation..." in D is prepostional phrase not a absolute phrase. identifying this role help understand the meaning. when "with a population..." is a prepotion, it must refers to a noun in the main clause. This case mean , "with population..." must refers to "many of them" . This is not logic and make D wrong.

in E, "and many" is not clear in meaning. E is wrong.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: Laos has a land area about the same as Great Britain but [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 16:06
regarding "that" in E.

"that" pronoun can be used in the non parallel structure like this one E.

When is it possible to do so?

when "that" is unambiguous from the context. is that right?

why this question? because in many og, non parallel with "that" is considered wrong.
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Laos has a land area about the same as Great Britain but [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 12:30
Expert's post
A and B incorrectly compare the land area to Great Britain. Eliminate A and B. The SC must compare apples to apples: it must compare either the two countries themselves (Laos and Britain) or the land area of one country to the land area of the other country.

D incorrectly compares land area to the size. Eliminate D.

C states that Laos has a land area...but many of them are members, incorrectly drawing a contrast between Laos (the country) and many (the people).

The correct answer is E.

Consider a Kudos if this is useful

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Laos has a land area about the same as Great Britain but [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 07:26
anilnandyala wrote:

Both C and E are correct but E is concise...

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: Laos has a land area about the same as Great Britain but [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2013, 11:43
prateekbhatt wrote:
anilnandyala wrote:

Both C and E are correct but E is concise...

I feel option C is incorrect
Option E -- Laos has a land area .. But [ Laos has ] a population - Ok

Option C -- Laos has a land area .. , But [ Laos has ] in Laos with a population of only four million people - NOK
So we can not put [ Laos has ] in option C . That means there should be a verb after but in option C as [ Laos has ] in not implicit .

Am I right?

I do the very best I know how - the very best I can; and I mean to keep on doing so until the end -- Abraham Lincoln

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Laos has a land area about the same as Great Britain but [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2013, 20:58
This post was
BOOKMARKED
We use "compared to" to compare unlike object and "compared with" to compare like objects.

Here we are comparing land area with land area so why do we have comparable to rather than comparable with?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Laos has a land area about the same as Great Britain but [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2013, 22:38
rohitmanglik wrote:
We use "compared to" to compare unlike object and "compared with" to compare like objects.

Here we are comparing land area with land area so why do we have comparable to rather than comparable with?

I am pretty sure that GMAT, on any official question, has never tested this "difference". There would always be much more glaring reasons to eliminate answer choices, than this.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Laos has a land area about the same as Great Britain but [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2013, 22:43
Thanks, I made a not of it.

BDW I found this difference in almost all the idiom lists available online.

E.g.:
http://www.winningprep.com/GMATIdiomList.html
download/file.php?id=9880

saumya12 wrote:
rohitmanglik wrote:

I am pretty sure that GMAT, on any official question, has never tested this "difference". There would always be much more glaring reasons to eliminate answer choices, than this.
Intern
Intern

Re: Laos has a land area about the same as Great Britain but [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2013, 22:59
targetdec31 wrote:

I feel option C is incorrect
Option E -- Laos has a land area .. But [ Laos has ] a population - Ok

Option C -- Laos has a land area .. , But [ Laos has ] in Laos with a population of only four million people - NOK
So we can not put [ Laos has ] in option C . That means there should be a verb after but in option C as [ Laos has ] in not implicit .

Am I right?

No that is not correct. You can't break C like that. In other words, you can't put "Laos has" after "but". "but" is a coordinating conjunction that so, it can obviously join to different things.

targetdec31 has GMAT in December, but Sean has GMAT in January.

We cannot interpret this as:

targetdec31 has GMAT in December, but [targetdec31 has] Sean has GMAT in January.
Intern
Intern

Re: Laos has a land area about the same as Great Britain but [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2013, 23:12
rohitmanglik wrote:
Thanks, I made a not of it.

BDW I found this difference in almost all the idiom lists available online.

E.g.:
http://www.winningprep.com/GMATIdiomList.html
download/file.php?id=9880

Also I hope you are not memorizing hundreds of idioms. I can't believe this website has idioms like "a long face".

Again, idioms is one area that will not be exclusively tested on GMAT. So, as long as you are comfortable with commonly used idioms (regard as, consider etc.), there should really be no reason to memorize the laundry list.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Laos has a land area about the same as Great Britain but [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2013, 11:22
HI EGMAT,

Laos has a land area about the same as Great Britain
but only four million in population, where many
are
members of hill tribes ensconced in the virtually
inaccessible mountain valleys of the north.
(A) about the same as Great Britain but only four
million in population, where many
(B) of about the same size as Great Britain is, but in
Laos there is a population of only four million,
and many
(C) that is about the same size as Great Britain’s
land area, but in Laos with a population of only
four million people, many of them
(D) comparable to the size of Great Britain, but only
four million in population, and many
(E) comparable to that of Great Britain but a
population of only four million people, many of
whom

Please highlight on why choice C is wrong. OG says here reference to them is unclear. Please highlight on this. Is them not referring people?

Thanks,
Karan.
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1244

Kudos [?]: 3438 [0], given: 183

Re: Laos has a land area about the same as Great Britain but [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2013, 11:23
Expert's post
Hi Karan,

Thank you for posting your query here. :-)

Option C can also be eliminated because it does not make the comparison clear. This choice compares the land area of Laos with the size of Great Britain's land area. To be precise, the comparison should compare the land area of Laos with "that of Great Britain,": that is, with the land area of Great Britain.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Meghna

Free Webinar: Sep 6, 2014 - Ace GMAT Sentence Correction: Register for this Free Webinar to learn the importance of meaning, achieve 90% accuracy and score V40+. Click here to register.

Re: Laos has a land area about the same as Great Britain but   [#permalink] 29 Nov 2013, 11:23