Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 13:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Laptop (and bag) for Bschool...

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Feb 2005
Posts: 118
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2007, 00:13
pelihu wrote:
tkkoh wrote:
What's the specs, where did you order from, and for how much?

I'm been given a T-series, but I'm debating whether I should get the X-series instead. Basically it is having to pay more for the mobility...


I ordered mine as follows:

2.0 GHz processor T7300
14.1" WXGA+ (1440x900)
1GB Ram (I'm adding another 1GB myself)
80GB HD
Intel Turbo Memory 1GB
DVD Multiwriter
PC Card/Express Card (you actually have a choice to substitute smart card or memory card reader)
7 Cell Battery
Bluetooth
802.11 ABGN
Fingerprint reader
Vista Business
2 year next business day warranty

Total $1311.91 + tax = $1427.57
I ordered direct from Lenovo. I'm also getting a $45 rebate through fatwallet. It will be nice when I move to Charlottesville where the tax is only 4% I believe (as opposed to 8.75% here). Not in time for this though.

If you want maximum portability then the X series is the way to go. I like the optical drive so I can watch movies, and perhaps play games if the occasion allows. I think the higher resolution will be nice for working on spreadsheets and things like that.


Pelihu, thanks for posting your configuration. I am about to buy the same machine with similar config.I know the father's day sale is not as good as the memorial sale earlier, but it still seems fairly decent to me. And i like the 21 day policy of Lenovo in which if the price changes(within 21 days of your shipping) they credit you the difference.

ONe Question:Which 2 yr waranty did you choose? Is it the Onsite Warranty or the Depot warranty? Did you choose the thinkpad protection also - and do you recommend it?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2006
Posts: 382
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2007, 08:06
Do you think it is worth getting Vista Ultimate over Vista Business?
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 1430
Location: New York, NY
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2007, 08:13
There is a vista Ultimate?!

That reminds me of when I was considering getting a webhost - I looked at getting the "crazy domain insane" package. It was the smallest one they offered.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Oct 2005
Posts: 182
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2007, 08:54
Do you know T61 have a discount to less than 1000$ on July 4? However, it often takes very long time to deliver?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2006
Posts: 382
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2007, 09:09
GMATcram wrote:
Do you know T61 have a discount to less than 1000$ on July 4? However, it often takes very long time to deliver?


How do you know this? I did not expect them to put out the 4th of July specials before Father Day's are over. It seems that all Lenovo others are taking much longer than expected - I heard that Lenovo started outsourcing coz of this
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2007
Posts: 94
Location: Bay Area
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2007, 11:50
For those of you going to Duke. The school states they are only supporting Windows XP Pro and 2003 Office until next summer.....are you still getting a new computer? Will we get free upgrades next summer if we get a new computer with old software?

Edit: OK, I emailed Duke and they said they would offer support to Vista and Office 2007 this coming August.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Posts: 2308
Schools: Darden
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2007, 19:18
For those looking to purchase a T61 from Lenovo, I just got an email from them saying that everything has been delayed - in fact I don't know if anyone has actually received a T61 from Lenovo (some have been sold through retailers).

They apologized for the delay and said that most orders should be filled by the end of the month. They offered a choice of a free gift for the delay; either an extended battery, AC Adapter or carrying case. I think the battery sells for about $150, the adapter about $70 and the case $70.

This actually works out perfectly for me. I was actually going to purchase an additional battery and AC adapter, so this saves me $150. I have no need for the computer prior to school so I'm happy to wait. Others that have ordered the computer probably don't have the time to wait and are understandably angry. So regarding the comment above that their shipments are slow, that's definitely true but Lenovo claims they will be caught up by the end of this month. That should be in time for anyone that needs a new computer before starting school.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2006
Posts: 444
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2007, 15:33
This is what I got. In fact, originally i ordered 15.4 inch dv6000series w/ 12 cell batt. I had to admit that it is just too bulky. So I returned it and got a smaller one.


HP Pavilion tx1000z customizable Notebook PC
GD617AV
– Upgrade to Genuine Windows Vista Business (32-bit)
– AMD Turion(TM) 64 X2 Dual-Core TL-60(2.0GHz/1MB)
– 12.1" WXGA BrightView w/Integrated Touch-screen
– RAM 2GB (2 Dimm)
– NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 6150
– HP Imprint Finish + Microphone + Webcam
– 802.11a/b/g/n (draft 802.11n) WLAN and Bluetooth
– 120GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
– LightScribe DVD+/-RW w/Double Layer
– 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
The batt life should be around 4.5 hours

I have always wanted to own a tablet PC as I love the idea of writing down notes on the screen!!!!

As I won't be playing any games, I was not too concerned w/ the low powered video card.

I don't think Duke would allow a Tablet PC in a class but I would be making notes on my screen for my group meetings. :panel
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Posts: 1855
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2007, 07:52
how much was it??
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2007
Posts: 94
Location: Bay Area
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2007, 08:56
died4me,
After reading the tablet's specs, I am deciding between yours and the Lenovo x61s. Seems like yours are packed with features with a better price point. Did you get any service warranty with yours?

Here's a question for everyone, I am clueless about computers, do you recommend getting on site or depot warranty on the computers? It's expensive and add almost $250 for a 2 year warranty.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2006
Posts: 444
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2007, 12:18
It was around $1500 w/o office 2007 as we can get it for $79 at Duke. Correct me if I am wrong. Make sure that you get APP discount w/ a student ID.

I didn't get any protection. it comes w/ 1yr warranty.
I gave a very hard thought whether I should get the damage cover or not......

I have used laptops for the past 6 years and I have never had an accidental incident such as spilling liquid on it or dropping it.

It was very hard decision, but I decided not to spend around $250 for this insurance.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Posts: 1408
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2007, 13:26
died4me wrote:
It was around $1500 w/o office 2007 as we can get it for $79 at Duke. Correct me if I am wrong. Make sure that you get APP discount w/ a student ID.

I didn't get any protection. it comes w/ 1yr warranty.
I gave a very hard thought whether I should get the damage cover or not......

I have used laptops for the past 6 years and I have never had an accidental incident such as spilling liquid on it or dropping it.

It was very hard decision, but I decided not to spend around $250 for this insurance.


Agreed, I wonder how often people drop coffees or food on their laptop. I have been using laptops since the late 90s and never had any such accidents.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2006
Posts: 1360
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2007, 13:58
sm176811 wrote:
Agreed, I wonder how often people drop coffees or food on their laptop. I have been using laptops since the late 90s and never had any such accidents.


I had a co-worker who "fried" her first - ever company laptop with tea, about 5 years back. It sucked for her, but was kinda funny to watch. That's the only case I've heard of people spilling stuff on laptops.

L.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Posts: 2308
Schools: Darden
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2007, 14:16
I've thought about this as well. I actually haven't had any personal experience with damaging a laptop, but I think the business school environment might be particularly challenging.

First of all, we will probably have it with us at all times. That means in and out of bags, onto tables, and just being carried around over and over each day. Then think about the group meetings and other impromptu sessions where you might need to use your laptop. I don't know about getting something spilled on it, but I could definitely imagine some being dropped or crushed, maybe a broken LCD or hinge, or accelerated HD failure because it gets bumped around a lot.

Some positive points about Thinkpads (and certain other business class notebooks) are that they have spill-proof keyboards (drains right through to the bottom without frying the internals), shock protection systems for the HD and hinges known to be extremely durable. The new Thinkpads also have a new and improved cage to protect the LCD from being crushed.

That said, they still haven't shipped my order. They did offer an additional $50 off (above the free battery they already offered). I have no use the laptop until school starts, but it would be nice to get it by mid July.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 1430
Location: New York, NY
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2007, 14:25
I smashed a screen on a thinkpad at work a few years back. Probably explains my dislike.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Posts: 1408
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2007, 14:41
I was thinking of getting a HP Professional/Business series laptop (HP 6910p on Santa Rosa platform - http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quic ... 99_na.HTML

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7500* (2.2-GHz, 800-FSB, 4-MB L2 cache)
Operating System Genuine Windows Vista Business
System Memory 2048 MB 667-MHz DDR2 (2 DIMM)
Hard Drive 160-GB 5400 rpm SMART SATA
Display 14.1-inch WXGA
Graphics ATI Mobility Radeon X2300 with 128 MB of dedicated memory
Audio ADI High Definition CODEC
Communications Integrated Intel Gigabit Network Connection (10/100/1000 NIC)
56K V.92 modem
Integrated Wireless Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN; Bluetooth 2.0
Integrated Security Integrated Smart Card Reader
Drive Encryption for HP ProtectTools
HP Fingerprint Sensor
Pointing Device Enhanced dual pointing devices (touchpad with scroll zone and pointstick)
MultiBay II Drive DVD+/-RW SuperMulti DL Drive
Battery 6-cell (55 WHr) Lithium-Ion
Power External 90W adapter


Any thots?
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Posts: 1855
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2007, 17:17
i know a woman who has fried TWO laptops, all within a year or two. She dumped a glass of wine in the first one....it's sorta funny, because apparently what happens is that the computer goes down until everything dries out. And then once it dries out, you can power it back up with just enough to back everything up before the sugar or acids or something in the wine corrodes everything permanently.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Posts: 2308
Schools: Darden
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2007, 17:46
sm176811 wrote:
I was thinking of getting a HP Professional/Business series laptop (HP 6910p on Santa Rosa platform - http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quic ... 99_na.HTML

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7500* (2.2-GHz, 800-FSB, 4-MB L2 cache)
Operating System Genuine Windows Vista Business
System Memory 2048 MB 667-MHz DDR2 (2 DIMM)
Hard Drive 160-GB 5400 rpm SMART SATA
Display 14.1-inch WXGA
Graphics ATI Mobility Radeon X2300 with 128 MB of dedicated memory
Audio ADI High Definition CODEC
Communications Integrated Intel Gigabit Network Connection (10/100/1000 NIC)
56K V.92 modem
Integrated Wireless Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN; Bluetooth 2.0
Integrated Security Integrated Smart Card Reader
Drive Encryption for HP ProtectTools
HP Fingerprint Sensor
Pointing Device Enhanced dual pointing devices (touchpad with scroll zone and pointstick)
MultiBay II Drive DVD+/-RW SuperMulti DL Drive
Battery 6-cell (55 WHr) Lithium-Ion
Power External 90W adapter


Any thots?


Sounds like plenty of computer for whatever you might need to do at business school. How much will that cost?
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Posts: 1408
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2007, 22:05
pelihu wrote:
sm176811 wrote:
I was thinking of getting a HP Professional/Business series laptop (HP 6910p on Santa Rosa platform - http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quic ... 99_na.HTML

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7500* (2.2-GHz, 800-FSB, 4-MB L2 cache)
Operating System Genuine Windows Vista Business
System Memory 2048 MB 667-MHz DDR2 (2 DIMM)
Hard Drive 160-GB 5400 rpm SMART SATA
Display 14.1-inch WXGA
Graphics ATI Mobility Radeon X2300 with 128 MB of dedicated memory
Audio ADI High Definition CODEC
Communications Integrated Intel Gigabit Network Connection (10/100/1000 NIC)
56K V.92 modem
Integrated Wireless Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN; Bluetooth 2.0
Integrated Security Integrated Smart Card Reader
Drive Encryption for HP ProtectTools
HP Fingerprint Sensor
Pointing Device Enhanced dual pointing devices (touchpad with scroll zone and pointstick)
MultiBay II Drive DVD+/-RW SuperMulti DL Drive
Battery 6-cell (55 WHr) Lithium-Ion
Power External 90W adapter


Any thots?


Sounds like plenty of computer for whatever you might need to do at business school. How much will that cost?


About $1.7K.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Apr 2007
Posts: 23
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2007, 02:31
cbreeze wrote:
,

Here's a question for everyone, I am clueless about computers, do you recommend getting on site or depot warranty on the computers? It's expensive and add almost $250 for a 2 year warranty.



I would go with the onsite warranty. If this is a Lenovo laptop, most users I know prefer the onsite warranty and actually state that the Lenovo guys would usually come to your house with the necessary parts and make the changes.This saves a lot of time. If its depot warranty, they would first send you a box in which you would send back the laptop and when they are done, they would send it back to you. This process is definitely longer.

If you are concerned that you might also spill any liquid or damage the laptop in anyway on your own e.g then take the warranty upgrade+ protection combo.

If you use an AMEX card to purchase the laptop, you get a 1yr extension of your warranty from AMEX.

I personally took the warranty+protection for 2yrs and I am getting an extra 1 yr warranty from AMEX.

Hope this helps.
  [#permalink] 16 Jun 2007, 02:31
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Top laptop/gym bags for business school? robcman 11 10 Aug 2010, 10:11
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic Laptop bag for B-School MeddlingKid 30 28 Feb 2009, 16:39
2 Bags for B-School bee186 30 10 Apr 2008, 22:26
Laptop Program at B'School sm176811 6 26 Mar 2007, 12:16
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Laptop (and bag) for Bschool...

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  14    Next  [ 261 posts ] 

Moderator: threestripes



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.