Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 18:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Laptop for my last year of School & Job in fin. analysis

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Laptop for my last year of School & Job in fin. analysis [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2014, 18:40
Hello everyone! :-D

I was wondering if you guys had any advice when it comes to laptops both for business school and job in financial analysis(after school).
I tried to see which one would be best for me, but I haven't had that much luck.

I'm looking for something light, not loud (fan), touchscreen, and powerful. Something like an UltraBook, but I have no idea about the brand and the model.

I'm undecided between a Microsoft Surface Pro 2 (but I'm scared of getting annoyed by the small screen when I use it at home as personal laptop).
What about Lenovo? I really liked the Yoga Pro 2 (but I heard about the wireless card issue!).
I right away excluded the MacBook Pro Retina Display, then I looked into the Dell XPS 12 and the Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon.. but I'm not sure.

I need some real life experience from some of you about touchscreen Ultrabooks.

What do you guys think? Thank you so much for helping! :)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Laptop for my last year of School & Job in fin. analysis [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2014, 20:24
I got a x1 carbon and love it.

i heard the t440s is better.

dell is crap
Intern
Intern

Re: Laptop for my last year of School & Job in fin. analysis [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2014, 22:27
Yeah that's exactly what I thought of MacBooks.

travisz wrote:
I got a x1 carbon and love it.

i heard the t440s is better.

dell is crap

Hi travisz, did you get the touchscreen X1 carbon?
Shall I go for the touchscreen? For example the t440s comes with either. And I read that's it's like the best of Ultrabooks.

So, shall I definitely keep myself on Lenovo or also consider others? I like Lenovo.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager

Re: Laptop for my last year of School & Job in fin. analysis [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2014, 04:36
i got the touchscreen.

it is not that useful, i rarely use it myself. although it can be useful during team meeting, showing things to others.

whats the price difference? if less than 100,maybe worth it, otherwise no

my 2 cents

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 2
Intern
Intern

Re: Laptop for my last year of School & Job in fin. analysis [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2014, 10:21
travisz wrote:
i got the touchscreen

it is not that useful, i rarely use it myself. although it can be useful during team meeting, showing things to others.

whats the price difference? if less than 100,maybe worth it, otherwise no

my 2 cents

Thanks for helping travisz!

Do you think Intel® 3rd Generation Core™ i5, 4GB of RAM, and 128GB solid state drive are enough?

Also, what Windows 8 do you suggest with this laptop?
Manager
Manager

Re: Laptop for my last year of School & Job in fin. analysis [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2014, 12:30
should be enough,
for ram, you can upgrade on your own.

not sure about win 8, i got win 7 pro

Intern
Intern

Re: Laptop for my last year of School & Job in fin. analysis [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2014, 14:30
travisz wrote:
should be enough,
for ram, you can upgrade on your own.

not sure about win 8, i got win 7 pro

Awesome! Did you get it at BestBuy?

Also, can I ask you what you use it for (school, what type of job in case).

Thank you! :)
Intern
Intern

Re: Laptop for my last year of School & Job in fin. analysis [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2014, 21:58
Also, do you guys suggest something as good as the X1 carbon but a little cheaper?
Thank you!

Manager
Manager

Re: Laptop for my last year of School & Job in fin. analysis [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2014, 21:00
archer90 wrote:
Also, do you guys suggest something as good as the X1 carbon but a little cheaper?
Thank you!

check the lenovo outlet, three of my classmates bought refurbished x1c from there and they are just like the new ones.
Re: Laptop for my last year of School & Job in fin. analysis   [#permalink] 10 Feb 2014, 21:00