Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 00:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

LAPTOP Question - is 11.6" screen too small?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

LAPTOP Question - is 11.6" screen too small? [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2012, 07:17
I am trying to decide what to do about a laptop (I have a Mac but nothing has made my feek comfortable enough to stick with it for school - finance major).

I am not looking to spend a lot of money, but I am looking for something pretty light. I have been told me Macbook Pro 13.3" is too heavy!

For those in business school or b school alums, is 11.6" too small, especially for finance related work?

Thank you!
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 628

Premium Member
Re: LAPTOP Question - is 11.6" screen too small? [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2012, 10:50
If you want to keep using a Mac, you should check out the Macbook Air. It is incredibly light and powerful.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 122

Kudos [?]: 607 [0], given: 114

Re: LAPTOP Question - is 11.6" screen too small? [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2012, 20:32
I just got the x230 thinkpad, and I think it would be a little too small to go any smaller. I've also purchased a docking station so I will be using a 20+ inch screen from home. I wouldn't personally recommend it. Another issue you may face is that it will be hard to find a 11" screen that has the power needed and screen space needed for all the bschool work you will do.

As for a mac, I wouldn't recommend a Mac unless you 100% plan to run windows on it also, especially for finance. Most schools will require atleast a windows partition on a mac, and for finance reasons, I would def get a PC.

Good luck

sterl wrote:
I am trying to decide what to do about a laptop (I have a Mac but nothing has made my feek comfortable enough to stick with it for school - finance major).

I am not looking to spend a lot of money, but I am looking for something pretty light. I have been told me Macbook Pro 13.3" is too heavy!

For those in business school or b school alums, is 11.6" too small, especially for finance related work?

Thank you!

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 27

Re: LAPTOP Question - is 11.6" screen too small? [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2012, 13:32
I considered the 11" MacBook Air, but decided that it was too small. It was especially difficult to pull up two different windows at once.

However, it is really small and super convenient to carry around. If you did go with it, I'd recommend getting a 24"+ monitor to plug into while you're home.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: LAPTOP Question - is 11.6" screen too small?   [#permalink] 15 Jul 2012, 13:32