Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 11:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

LASIKS before school starts?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
LASIKS before school starts? [#permalink] New post 13 May 2007, 05:40
Anybody else considering undergoing LASIKS corrective surgery before classes start this fall? A local ophthamologist determined that I am myoptic with an astigmatism in one eye. The procedure is supposed to take under an hour and cost about $1500, including one follow up visit.

My question is this; even if LASIKS is effective, what are the chances of our vision deteriorating again after reading mountains of case studies and staring at excel spreadsheets 8 hours a day for the next two years?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: LASIKS before school starts? [#permalink] New post 13 May 2007, 06:38
I was under the simliar surgery 2 months ago. For me, I think it's safe. I read a lot of books and work with my computer 3 days after the operation. I have 3 visits after that, and it does not show any problems. I know that I still have to wait in the next 6 months to see. But generally, you can go with the best machine available in your country and choose a reliable doctor/hospital to do that. Good luck!

GMATT73 wrote:
Anybody else considering undergoing LASIKS corrective surgery before classes start this fall? A local ophthamologist determined that I am myoptic with an astigmatism in one eye. The procedure is supposed to take under an hour and cost about $1500, including one follow up visit.

My question is this; even if LASIKS is effective, what are the chances of our vision deteriorating again after reading mountains of case studies and staring at excel spreadsheets 8 hours a day for the next two years?
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 May 2007, 09:20
I had a friend a few years ago who had Lasik and her eyes took a little longer than usual to recover. She had pain and headaches for months afterwards and finally had to get follow-up surgery. I think the procedure is safe, but you should be aware that recovery times can differ.

I can also tell you from my experience working as a lawyer in NY that doing a lot of reading while you are fatigued will hurt your eyes. I remember that after a long day (or many long days in a row), it would take some time for my eyes to adjust if I looked up from my papers. After a few months, my eyesight definitely deteriorated to the point where I had trouble reading street signs. After returning to California, my eyesight returned to what it was before after a few months - no glasses needed.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: LASIKS before school starts? [#permalink] New post 13 May 2007, 09:57
GMATT73 wrote:

First, go to the doctor and see if you're a candidate. I did it when I was 21, and 3.5 years later my eyes are basically the same. Your eyes won't deteriorate at a fast pace. The worse that will happen is that you will have to get the surgery again in a couple of years. I would see the doctor to see if you're a candidate. Hopefully, you're over 21. I would recommend it. Glasses are a pain, and girls find me sexier
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 May 2007, 11:11
I too want to get it done.

Wearing contact is a pain in the rear big time.
I am holding it off because of the fear of some well known side effects.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 13 May 2007, 20:37
I did it a year ago and couldn't be happier. My vision is now 20-15 and I have no halos or other issues.

Reading glasses may still be necessary. It has to do with the aging of the eye, and they can't correct for that. It'll be worth the money for the next 20+ years even if it does happen. You will not regret doing it.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 May 2007, 04:07
I got it done in 1998, in India, when it was still not approved in the US. Best Rs 30000 (approx $650) I ever spent. I have some astigmatism left, but I don't use glasses for that.

I think the procedure has become a lot more easy since '98. People talk about clear vision the next day, but I had to wait for about a month to get clarity in vision. Nearly 10 years later, a Masters degree (a lot of studying and a lot of reading) later, I don't have any problems.

One thing to note, if you were contacts now, dont expect your vision to be as clear as with contacts.
Current Student

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 14 May 2007, 06:26
hsampath wrote:
I got it done in 1998, in India, when it was still not approved in the US. Best Rs 30000 (approx $650) I ever spent. I have some astigmatism left, but I don't use glasses for that.

I think the procedure has become a lot more easy since '98. People talk about clear vision the next day, but I had to wait for about a month to get clarity in vision. Nearly 10 years later, a Masters degree (a lot of studying and a lot of reading) later, I don't have any problems.

One thing to note, if you were contacts now, dont expect your vision to be as clear as with contacts.

How long did it take for the flap on your cornea to heal? I hear anywhere from a month to three, and yes headaches are a major concern.

As it is, I only need (more like legally require) glasses to drive. Like most people, I found out when I went to renew my license a few years ago.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 May 2007, 07:18
I thought about doing it last year and decided against it, I really wouldn't want to lose my pilots license over a botched surgery.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 14 May 2007, 11:37
well...this discussion has surely made me think (again!) about getting it done...

i have been thinking about getting LASIK done for couple of years now. I have heard that the procedure is fairly safe except for a few (very?!) exceptions....

however, i have also read about another procedure wherein the doctors entirely remove your lens and replace it with a plastic one...what's that all about? Scary though!!
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 May 2007, 11:49
My eyes are ok, but I was thinking about a lyposuction, instead. My original plan was to work out and diet but I'm kinda lazy. What do you guys think about it? :lol:

Now, seriously, I know about 2 people who have had the eye surgery. One had the surgery about 5 years ago and hasn't had to wear glasses ever since. He's very satisfied. The other person had the surgery about 7 years ago and has recently starting to think about getting a check because her sight is not as sharp as it used to be. But she did not have to wear glasses nor had any problems throughout those 7 years.

It's your call, though.

Cheers. L.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 15 May 2007, 18:49
Quote:

How long did it take for the flap on your cornea to heal? I hear anywhere from a month to three, and yes headaches are a major concern.

As it is, I only need (more like legally require) glasses to drive. Like most people, I found out when I went to renew my license a few years ago.

I don't remember headaches, the biggest problems I remember are "floaters" on my right eye, and dry eyes, I had to constantly use eye drops then. Not any more.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 15 May 2007, 18:50
Quote:

I don't remember headaches, the biggest problems I remember are "floaters" on my right eye, and dry eyes, I had to constantly use eye drops then. Not any more. My cornea probably healed in less than a month, 3 weeks or so.
Current Student

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 15 May 2007, 21:11
09App wrote:
My vision is now 20-15

Did they charge you extra for the "eagle eye" vision?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 May 2007, 06:18
GMATT73 wrote:
09App wrote:
My vision is now 20-15

Did they charge you extra for the "eagle eye" vision?

The only bad part of getting the surgery is the video they make you watch. Tough thing to watch. Anyways, see if you're a candidate. You will go from dud to stud quickly
Current Student

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 16 May 2007, 07:01
hsampath wrote:
Quote:

I don't remember headaches, the biggest problems I remember are "floaters" on my right eye, and dry eyes, I had to constantly use eye drops then. Not any more. My cornea probably healed in less than a month, 3 weeks or so.

Did you undergo the standard microkeratome (steel blade) or the new intralase procedure?
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 May 2007, 07:04
GMATT73 wrote:
hsampath wrote:
Quote:

Did you undergo the standard microkeratome (steel blade) or the new intralase procedure?

My wife just had the intralase done about a year ago and she was fine basically right away. I watched her have the surgery, and it was a little disturbing. The doctor just flips the opening in the eyes up after it is cut into a circle. But it is a great investment.
Current Student

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2007, 05:49
Went in for the initial consultation where they measure your cornea thickness today. Felt kinda uncomfortable having a rubber instrument poked directly into my eyeball. Anyway, I have been shortlisted as a viable candidate with a two hour examination scheduled for next Thursday. :yikes
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2007, 17:26
hey guys,
well.. i am really blind (-10 and -11.75.. eek!)
and i went in for my consult, they said i was a candidate for the one with the flap.. they cut your eye and lazer inside bc it can get more surface area.. thus reducing the amount of halos at nite compared with the other surgery..

anyways, i was a little scared.. bc i have a 60% chance of seeing halos, i would still have to wear glasses she said, and i would defintely have to get the procedure done...

i didnt go ahead with it bc i have horrible eyes, but i see perrrfect with contacts.. the only thing i hate is that my eyes get sooo dry at nite!! does anyone have good drops or suggestions for that??? of course, i wear my contacts longer than i should.. but who doesnt?!?!? i just didnt wanna take the risk.. ohhh and also, she said it could be difficult for me to see driving at nite..

but, for the average person with average sized cornea thickness, perscription.. ect. it works fine! and i know wayyy more success stories than horrible ones
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1580 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2007, 17:39
I've been seriously thinking about doing it... my dad had it done years ago and swears by it.

I've been thinking of giving them a call...

I did years ago and got scared after reading the disclosure form. Word to the wise, don't read it - just sign it.

http://www.kraffeye.com/laser_vision_co ... .htm#manus
  [#permalink] 28 Jun 2007, 17:39