Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 15:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Last 2 weeks - WHAT SHOULD I DO TO RAISE SCORE?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 640 Q V0
GMAT 2: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 3: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 4: Q V0
GMAT 5: Q V0
GPA: 3.3
WE: Research (Consulting)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 134

GMAT Tests User
Last 2 weeks - WHAT SHOULD I DO TO RAISE SCORE? [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2011, 06:53
Hi guys

I wanted some advice on how I should study in my last 2 weeks before the test. Quick background, I've taken the test twice in Jan 2010 & Feb 2010, VERY bad idea. 640 both times (M44/V36 & then M42/V38).

From what I've understood, statistically, chances of me doing better are low. But I know I didn't prepare well the first two times and rushed into the test. I've done a far more systematic approach this time, picking up Manhattan guides for quant & SC topics (my real weaknesses). My scores over the last 3 months on practice tests are as following:
GMAC 1: 710 (inflated because of OG12 repeats), Veritas (free): 690, MGMAT1: 700, MGMAT2: 700, Princeton (free): 700.

Now here's my dilemma. I'm taking leave from July 14th to August 3rd, and my test is on August 3rd 2011.

My weaknesses remain:
Quant (average practice test scores 45 - 47), target: 48-49
1) Probability/combinatorics
2) Functions
3) Number properties DS questions (will review Manhattan guide properly)
4) Tougher rate questions
5) Overall timing (have been trying to improve calculation speed as much as possible by working on timers)

Verbal (average practice test scores 40 - 41), target 42-43
1) SC: This is improving, I'm just completing the SC Manhattan guide

bb, any management, or anybody who has advice for how I should really buckle down to raise my scores in these final two weeks - your advice would be invaluable.
Aximili

How to improve your RC score, pls Kudo if helpful! http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-improve-my-rc-accuracy-117195.html
Work experience (as of June 2012)
2.5 yrs (Currently employed) - Mckinsey & Co. (US Healthcare Analyst)
2 yrs - Advertising industry (client servicing)

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 98 [1] , given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Last 2 weeks - WHAT SHOULD I DO TO RAISE SCORE? [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2011, 07:09
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

I think you should concentrate on Verbal part. Please read pages 9, 10 and 11 of http://www.gmatpill.com/ebook/GMAT%20Pill%20E-Book.pdf.

Increasing Verbal score even by 2-4 point can increase your overall score drastically. So if you think you are weak in SC,
- go through the basics once again.
- Rather than solving more and more GMAT-like problems, work hard on types of SCs that appear in the exam.
- Brush-up your RC and CR skills.
- When you wish to take a break from Verbal, do Quants (coz its fun)
- With Quants also, concentrate on basics.
- In theses 2 weeks that you have, spend 75% of your time on verbal and 25% on quants.

Good luck!!
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Last 2 weeks - WHAT SHOULD I DO TO RAISE SCORE? [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2011, 08:45
Right, I tend to overlook my strengths so that sounds like good advice. I think I'm going to do a 60/40 split in favour of verbal. Thing is, I've already done most of the reading material so now its mainly revision. My CR rate is nearly flawless on practice tests, RC I was killing last year but I've completely neglected it this year so yes.

I'm going to be studying between 5-9 hours daily during the leave so I should have time for more. Still have 4 MGMATs and GMAC 2 to write too though. Not sure if I should write all of the Manhattan's. Maybe write two, then write the GMAC, and then rewrite the GMACs to exhaust the question bank?

Thanks for that link, let me get back from work and take a look at it. Appreciate your advice piyatiwari.

How to improve your RC score, pls Kudo if helpful! http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-improve-my-rc-accuracy-117195.html

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Last 2 weeks - WHAT SHOULD I DO TO RAISE SCORE? [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2011, 08:47
Just took a quick glance at the RC portion of that link, great stuff!! Thanks so much!

3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 57 [3] , given: 26

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Last 2 weeks - WHAT SHOULD I DO TO RAISE SCORE? [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2011, 08:52
This post received
KUDOS
This is a very critical phase.

What you should do is:

Keep retaking GMATPrep again and again, at the same time as your test.
Dont strain yourself too much.
Use the GMATPrep Docs on this forum. VERY IMPORTANT! You will get about 200 SCs and 150 RCs. Solve them and look up their explanations on MGMAT Forums - read expert replies!
For this part stay away from any non standard material whatsoever!
and
Try to relax the day before the test so you come back with full enthusiasm!

All the best!

GMAT done - a mediocre score but I still have a lot of grit in me

The last 20 days of my GMAT journey

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Last 2 weeks - WHAT SHOULD I DO TO RAISE SCORE? [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2011, 09:37
akhilesh do you recommend I buy the entire gmatclub tests? Would it be worth it to buy them all for a 2 week period when I still have more than 50% of OG 10 left?

also, I still have the entire RC section left from the official verbal supplement book. I'm doubtful as to whether spending $100 or Rs 5000 is worth it for 2 weeks when there's other material left. Thoughts?

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 57 [2] , given: 26

Re: Last 2 weeks - WHAT SHOULD I DO TO RAISE SCORE? [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2011, 19:51
This post received
KUDOS
I think in the last week you should stick to official material only.
Retake GMATPreps
Use the GMATPrep Document and read the explanation to every single question on MGMAT Forums. That itself will take a hell lot of time - provided you do it correctly.
Finish off all the official material you have left
and don't stress too much, don't burn yourself out at the last moment.
To get the best returns from gmatclub tests I think you would need to solve atleast 10 of them, which you don't have time for.
So instead of cramming new stuff at the last moment. Try to assimilate what you already know.
If necessary solve the last 50 questions of every official text book you have.

And revise!!

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Last 2 weeks - WHAT SHOULD I DO TO RAISE SCORE? [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2011, 22:44
Will do. Also, what did you mean by "Use the GMATPrep Document and read the explanation to every single question on MGMAT Forums. That itself will take a hell lot of time - provided you do it correctly."

What doc were you referring to?

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 57 [1] , given: 26

Re: Last 2 weeks - WHAT SHOULD I DO TO RAISE SCORE? [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2011, 01:04
This post received
KUDOS
Aximili85 wrote:
Will do. Also, what did you mean by "Use the GMATPrep Document and read the explanation to every single question on MGMAT Forums. That itself will take a hell lot of time - provided you do it correctly."

GMATclub forums have documents compiling the various SC, CR and RC questions which have appeared in GMATPrep tests! Hundreds of questions.

Once you have exhausted the official guides, it is always suggested to work through these files. Search for them on the forum and you will know what I mean.

Just be sure to look up the explanation to each and every question on the MGMAT Forum!

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Last 2 weeks - WHAT SHOULD I DO TO RAISE SCORE? [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2011, 03:13
perfect thanks!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Last 2 weeks - WHAT SHOULD I DO TO RAISE SCORE? [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2011, 04:34
From participating around gmatclub, I've seen many people taking CATs after CATs 2 weeks prior to their test. I also have seen other people practice the last 50 questions or so in OG Review. So do a combination of both and you will be better than ever!

Powerscore CR Bible Full Chapter Notes | Easily Extend Vocabulary List with Google Dictionary

Please kudo me if you found my post useful. Thanks!!! :)

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Last 2 weeks - WHAT SHOULD I DO TO RAISE SCORE? [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2011, 04:46
Thanks Mahtab really appreciate everybody's advice, brings a level of clarity I often lack =)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Last 2 weeks - WHAT SHOULD I DO TO RAISE SCORE? [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 01:55
akhileshgupta05 wrote:
Aximili85 wrote:

GMATclub forums have documents compiling the various SC, CR and RC questions which have appeared in GMATPrep tests! Hundreds of questions.

Once you have exhausted the official guides, it is always suggested to work through these files. Search for them on the forum and you will know what I mean.

Just be sure to look up the explanation to each and every question on the MGMAT Forum!

Akhilesh - regarding your comment about the GMAT prep documents. I could only find SC and CR documents from Sterny: 750-q49-v44-68657.html?view-post=507299#p507299 and from Whiplash: gmat-prep-critical-reasoning-collection-106783.html. I could not find any RC GMAT Prep documents - can you please share if you have the link. Thanks!

Looking for Kudos :)

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 57 [1] , given: 26

Re: Last 2 weeks - WHAT SHOULD I DO TO RAISE SCORE? [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 02:14
This post received
KUDOS
vinayrsm wrote:
akhileshgupta05 wrote:
Aximili85 wrote:

Akhilesh - regarding your comment about the GMAT prep documents. I could only find SC and CR documents from Sterny: 750-q49-v44-68657.html?view-post=507299#p507299 and from Whiplash: gmat-prep-critical-reasoning-collection-106783.html. I could not find any RC GMAT Prep documents - can you please share if you have the link. Thanks!

Attached Prep RC File. It has about 22 passages. Its here in the forum itself and you got the correct SC and CR files - Solve them - Also look at the solutions to EACH AND EVERY question you solve on MGMAT FORUMS!
Attachments

GMATPrep RC.doc [112.5 KiB]
Downloaded 64 times

To download please login or register as a user

Manager
Manager

Re: Last 2 weeks - WHAT SHOULD I DO TO RAISE SCORE? [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 02:40
Thanks, Akhilesh!

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Last 2 weeks - WHAT SHOULD I DO TO RAISE SCORE? [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 05:07
now somebodye sub-sub-sub quote akhilesh =P

Manager
Manager

Re: Last 2 weeks - WHAT SHOULD I DO TO RAISE SCORE? [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 06:22
hmm.. thats not possible, just tried :lol:

Re: Last 2 weeks - WHAT SHOULD I DO TO RAISE SCORE?   [#permalink] 21 Jul 2011, 06:22