Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 03:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Last 4 weeks before the real test

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Last 4 weeks before the real test [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2009, 01:24
Hi guys,

I have 4-5 weeks remaining before the real test and I am seeking advice on how to use them wisely.
I had studied Quant for 4-5 weeks before taking a huge break due to work, then I recently got back into GMAT studies and put 2 weeks on Verbal.
Before the break I took 2 Kaplan tests and did 620 on both, with good quant and poor verbal. A Kaplan rep said to add 70-100 to their test scores so that puts me to 690-720, close to my 720+ target.
However I did 2 tests since getting into my studies, 1 Kaplan (540, poor on both parts) and 1 MGMAT (560, better on verbal and poor on quant).
I think I can get back to speed with my quant but my latest scores make me freak out. English is not my native language so the verbal part scares me a lot too.

What would be your 4-week plan if you were in my shoes?
I plan to take 1 GMAT Prep at the end of next week (when I actually studied all 5 sections and did most of the Official Guide questions), then review some errors and take the rest of the tests I have left (5 MGMAT, 4 Princeton, 3 Kaplan) progressively.

If anybody can point out something I am not doing right or has suggestions that will help a lot.
Cheers.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 388 [1] , given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Last 4 weeks before the real test [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2009, 01:52
This post received
KUDOS
Hello bluesiege,

While there is a range on the kaplan, I wouldn't take the reps words to heart.

My scores ranged from 550-640 on Kaplan practice test (2007, my first attempt at the GMAT). My real score was essential dead center (610).

On MGMAT, I scored 680 on three tests, and 680 on both GMATPrep tests. I scored a 710 on the real thing.

Use your MGMAT test results to create an action plan for the next 3-4 weeks. Figure out what parts on quant and verbal you need more review. Focus on those areas for a week or two and then take another diagnostic (preferably a MGMAT test to keep your action consistent plan using the same tool for feedback/calibration).

Also, don't burn out during the last couple days before the test. The last thing you want to do is kill yourself just before the test and not have the needed mental energy to get through a 3-4 hour standardized test.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Re: Last 4 weeks before the real test [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2009, 04:56
Hi bluesiege,

Im in pretty much the same position. Planning on sitting an MGMAT mock on Saturday morning. Will use the results to focus on weak areas. Think I will wait another 2 weeks and sit another one, using the time in between to work on weak areas. I plan to sit the real thing at the end of October.
Im tired of studying theory and doing practice questions. I feel the actual mocks are essential. If you are training for a marathon its essential that one does plenty of long runs before the main race. Same thing applies to the gmat I feel.

Regards,

Aztec
Intern
Intern

Re: Last 4 weeks before the real test [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2009, 08:59
Thanks a lot Mohater.

The main points I take back from your reply is to use tests as a way to gauge progress but not too much to estimate what score I will get. Also I think focusing on weak areas between practice tests is a great idea. I have 4 types of CAT tests left (GMAT Prep, Kaplan, MGMAT, Princeton). Is it ok to use 2 or more to gauge my progress relative to each of them? When would take the GMAT Prep ones? Why MGMAT rather than Kaplan if I focus on one?
Right now I feel like taking 2 each week (W/Sun) in this order: MGMAT, GMATPrep, MGMAT, Kaplan, MGMAT, Kaplan, MGMAT, GMATPrep. This means tossing out the Princeton tests (bought them because I thought the more tests the better, but your post is changing my perspective of things).

@Aztec
I think taking tests is the best way to get more endurance and a better way to get used to the test. Even when I do practice questions, I do them in buckets of 40, timed according to the subject (2mins each for quant questions, 1.75 for verbal). That is helping me a lot, otherwise I think I would not finish either sections on the real test.
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 388 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Last 4 weeks before the real test [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2009, 11:39
bluesiege wrote:
Thanks a lot Mohater.

The main points I take back from your reply is to use tests as a way to gauge progress but not too much to estimate what score I will get. Also I think focusing on weak areas between practice tests is a great idea. I have 4 types of CAT tests left (GMAT Prep, Kaplan, MGMAT, Princeton). Is it ok to use 2 or more to gauge my progress relative to each of them? When would take the GMAT Prep ones? Why MGMAT rather than Kaplan if I focus on one?
Right now I feel like taking 2 each week (W/Sun) in this order: MGMAT, GMATPrep, MGMAT, Kaplan, MGMAT, Kaplan, MGMAT, GMATPrep. This means tossing out the Princeton tests (bought them because I thought the more tests the better, but your post is changing my perspective of things).

The key with the feedback from the practice is come out with some sort of action plan to address the WHY part. Why you missed the problems you missed.

The order won't make a difference as long as the walk away from the practice exam is the same. I am partial to MGMAT, but if you derive a benefit from the Kaplan exams, that's fine.

GMATPrep does not give much feedback on the practice exams (right answer and nothing else). Most people use GMATPrep toward the end of their prep as it seems to be the closest to the real thing, and also seems to be the best estimator of the score.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Last 4 weeks before the real test [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2009, 19:21
Thanks for the feedback. It is much appreciated.
Re: Last 4 weeks before the real test   [#permalink] 11 Sep 2009, 19:21