Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 04:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Last few days...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Last few days... [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2005, 01:09
Hi,

I have my GMAT on 21st OCt. I am halfway through the OG, 10th Edition(Its the soft copy.. I could not get the Hard Copy in Mumbai. Have been looking for it since a long time.)

I have taken few full tests.. and scored in the range of 450.

What should I concentrate these last days?

Please recommend me some tips so that the scores are boosted.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Plumberg
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2005, 06:00
My suggestions:

1. Do a couple more full tests to build up the mental strength and stamina to last the 4 hours of tests. Try to complete the last full test about 3 days before your actual test (i.e. by 18 Oct).

2. In the meantime, go thru as many questions as you can in the OG. If possible, try to complete ALL the questions. For those that you have done wrong, spend time to understand your mistake.

3. For the last 2 days, revisit the questions that you have done wrong. See if you manage to get them right this time.

4. For the day before the test, relax and just lightly go thru the OG, errors, etc. DON'T do any full test. Try to rest early.

All the best!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2005, 11:02
I've heard that the last week should be spent working on your strengths. I made the mistake by not folowing this advice and working on my weaknesses the last week. I will spend the last week before my 2nd attempt working on my strengths (verbal) in hopes of increasing my score.

Good luck tomorrow!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2005, 13:01
Hey Valleyball,
Why is it more beneficial to work on your strengths rather than your weaknesses during the last week of prep? (Just curious). How would you utilize the last 2-3 weeks

Thanks

Good luck Plumberg!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2005, 13:25
That was what my Manhattan GMAT instructor said. I didn't write down all the reasoning though. The gist of it all is that it usually takes longer than 1 week to learn new material and become comfortable with it. If you focus on your strengths or at least focus on what you already know, you may be able to increase your score.

My test is 3 weeks from today so I'm on the following schedule for the next 2 weeks:

1. Since my weakness is Q, I do 20-30 problems nightly. Sometimes I do all PS and sometimes I do all DS. Sometimes I do 10-15 of each. Before I start each day, I go back to my error log and do all the problems I missed in the past. I will do this until I get them all right. In addition, I created flash cards of the "best" or "hardest" problems I've encountered and refer to them daily at work; I actually keep them right by my computer in the office so I turn to them whenever I get the chance. Total immersion is my philosophy.

2. Then I supplement that with 1-5 RC passages, 5-10 CRs, and 10-20 SCs.

My schedule for the last week of preparation consists of:

1. I plan to do the opposite of the last week. 30-50 V problems nightly (mix in RC, CR, and SC). Since SC has the most questions in the verbal section and it's the easiest to master of the three, I'm going to spend the most time on that.

2. I will then do 5-10 DS and PS problems daily just to keep my Q skills as fresh as possible.

I'm not really concerned with the timing and mental toughness to get through the test. For me, it's just about learning the Q content (mainly DS).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2005, 15:35
Makes sense... thanks... and Good luck !!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2005, 20:25
make sure u practice in blocks of 75 mins each with combos of PS/Ds in Q and SC/RC/CR for V. choose between 22/15 question split in Q and maybe 18/10/13 in V. also always time yourself and stick to the clock. no calculators , cheating or disctractions such as TVs Stereos or anything like this. Try to simulate the real thing as close as possible. hope this info helps, good luck

kayser
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2005, 21:52
ValleyBall1 wrote:
I've heard that the last week should be spent working on your strengths. I made the mistake by not folowing this advice and working on my weaknesses the last week. I will spend the last week before my 2nd attempt working on my strengths (verbal) in hopes of increasing my score.

Good luck tomorrow!

I only did my GMAT once - so I'm not in a position to see which strategy gives a better result. For me, I spent the last day going thru all the questions (for all sections) that I did wrong during my prep. I don't see really see them as strength vs. weakness.

Personally, I feel that to do well for the test, one need to be an all-rounder. i.e. we need to understand most, if not all, the concepts that will be tested. The actual test is so unpredictable that you do not know what will come out, and when they come out.

All the best.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2005, 21:55
kayser`soze wrote:
make sure u practice in blocks of 75 mins each with combos of PS/Ds in Q and SC/RC/CR for V. choose between 22/15 question split in Q and maybe 18/10/13 in V. also always time yourself and stick to the clock. no calculators , cheating or disctractions such as TVs Stereos or anything like this. Try to simulate the real thing as close as possible. hope this info helps, good luck

kayser

That's an excellent suggestion/reminder. For GMAT, we need to be correct AND fast. And we must be able to do this over 4 hours. So, during our prep, we should condition our brains to such requirements.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2005, 07:29
Good point!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2005, 11:32
Can we not use a pen on the actual test?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2005, 20:41
No pens on the test. They will only give you pencils that get dull very quickly. While you can raise your hand for a new pencil, you should get used to doing math with a dull pencil. I think that rule is stupid.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2005, 01:42
Thanks... I agree that is quite stupid... I'll start practicing w/ a "dull pencil" :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2005, 08:25
It sounds strange but I didn't listen. During my prep for my 1st attempt, I used a pen the whole way through. I didn't think a pencil would bother me that much on test day. I was wrong - it bothered me a ton! And we all know that on test day, the stars need to be aligned as much as possible and you have to be at your best (both physically and mentally) to do well.

Good luck!
  [#permalink] 24 Oct 2005, 08:25