Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:22 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Nonprofit, Technology
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 179 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64901 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Nonprofit, Technology
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Last minute 700+ prep [#permalink]
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
trivium wrote:
I took the GMAT a year ago and scored a 720 (Q45 V44). I really wanted at least a 730, so I tried again in October but scored a 720 again (Q47, V41). I scheduled a second test date for Friday, and since my last try I've gone through all the OG questions. But I'm realizing now that there are almost no 700+ level questions in the OG and I'm not sure it helped me at all. Is there anything I can do between now and Friday to help myself?

The last 2-3 days are usually set aside for revision and relaxation, not to work on new stuff! 720 and 730 aren't different. What you could aim for is a higher Quant score. If you haven't done any extra preparations after the recent 720, I don't see how your score will improve in the upcoming test. You might want to think about postponing the test if you want to work on improving your Quant score.

OG has very few 700+ level questions but there are many other resources you can use. The official Prep tests have many 700+ level questions, as do our practice tests. You can also use our free question bank available here: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#-question-bank/
Anything between 41 and 51 in Verbal is great.

I did do a decent a amount of prep over the last six weeks, mostly OG, but also digging further into the types of problems I didn't know (ie. rate problems, combinatorics, permutations, etc.). What's strange is that these problems don't seem that much more challenging than the hardest problems I saw on the actual test, and I scored a 720 both times. Thanks for the advice. I don't feel the time has been wasted, since working through the entire book helped me look differently at each math problem, which makes the high level math much easier.
Tutor
Affiliations: GMATQuantum
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Expert Reply
trivium

Couple options here, all of these are official GMAT sources:

1) Get the GMATPrep Question Pack 1 and then exclusively practice on the hard questions, they are segmented by difficulty.

2) Here is the entire database of questions from GMATPrep. The challenge would be to select which ones are hard because it gives you the entire set of questions. However, you could choose those questions that fall in the category that you are struggling in. all-gmatprep-questions-quant-verbal-187679.html

3) Take GMATFocus diagnostic tests if you would like to be barraged with extremely difficult questions.

Cheers,
Dabral
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
trivium wrote:
I took the GMAT a year ago and scored a 720 (Q45 V44). I really wanted at least a 730, so I tried again in October but scored a 720 again (Q47, V41). I scheduled a second test date for Friday, and since my last try I've gone through all the OG questions. But I'm realizing now that there are almost no 700+ level questions in the OG and I'm not sure it helped me at all. Is there anything I can do between now and Friday to help myself?

For applicants in this phase, answering more new practice questions is an excellent way to build your question recognition abilities and to speed up your response times so crucial at the finish line. Optimus Prep's adaptive quiz generator also enables you to filter the types of questions you have the most trouble answering in order to get focused practice in those areas.
As an Optimus Prep student, you can take up to nine full-length practice tests to help you get used to the strains of a nearly four-hour examination, which you are going to take up soon. After completing each test, Optimus Prep provides you with a comprehensive smart report designed to break down your performance so you can more effectively target your weaknesses and build on your strengths. The report even tells you what areas of improvement have the most potential to improve your score so you can utilize your study time as productively as possible.

If you are particularly focused on one area, you can opt for either a quant focused or verbal focused course:
https://www.optimus-prep.com/gmat-verbal-booster
https://www.optimus-prep.com/gmat-quant-booster

The best way is to look at the entire preparation as a unit and attack all sections simultaneously. You still can make the best of quizzes and adaptive sections in our on demand course. For more details, please check this link:
https://www.optimus-prep.com/gmat-on-demand-course
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi trivium,

Since your original post is over a month old, you must have taken the GMAT again by now. How did you score?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Quantitative Questions Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts