Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 02:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Last minute: Booth admitted R1 vs Anderson admitted 7/12?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Posts: 49
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Consumer Products)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 55

Last minute: Booth admitted R1 vs Anderson admitted 7/12? [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2013, 09:57
I was admitted to Booth R1, paid my deposits, went to admit weekend, went to all the Booth events, signed up for everything. I'm pretty much enrolled and about to start figuring out how to bid for classes when all of sudden 2 days ago I was called by Anderson. I've been on the waitlist since round 1 and they've emailed me several times asking if I wanted to continue waiting. I was caught off guard when they called but they pretty much asked if I were to be admitted, would I accept and pay deposit in a short time frame. They also said that I was on a short list of candidates. I told them I had always loved Anderson and it would make sense to stay in SoCal since my family business is here but I would still need to reconsider everything bc I didn't have any mental preparation for all these sudden changes. I was given a cell phone number so I feel like I could call back to strengthen/reiterate my position before they send out decisions next week. Should I do/consider it?

I'm interested in pursuing marketing/tech/entrepreneurship. I have some experience in marketing so I would have a good shot at that. Tech not so much but experienced at social media. Entrepreneurship flows in my veins.

Last edited by lfa on 12 Jul 2013, 18:11, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 12336
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2322

Kudos [?]: 9408 [0], given: 3697

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Last minute change: Booth (admitted) vs Anderson (wl)? [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2013, 10:53
Expert's post
Interesting call.... i can see how UCLA would seem a fit. At the same time, Booth has a strong entrepreneurship streak with their Polski center and new business venture challenge.

Chicago is also very different from LA.

On the rankings front Booth seems stronger and that's what most pay attention to. You obviously are looking past that surface, which is good. I am sensing you for some reason have an affinity/attachment to UCLA. Any reason in particular?
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
VP
VP
avatar
Status: Yale SOM!
Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 1252
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 412 [0], given: 245

Premium Member
Re: Last minute change: Booth (admitted) vs Anderson (wl)? [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2013, 11:39
Expert's post
Congrats, lfa! I don't have much input on where you should go, but I too -- like bb -- sense your affinity for Anderson; perhaps home is where the heart is... regardless, you have great options :)
_________________

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Sep 2012
Posts: 135
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 17

Re: Last minute change: Booth (admitted) vs Anderson (wl)? [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2013, 13:15
I imagine for most people that this isn't even a discussion, unless your family business is critically important for your career path (and assuming you can't stay involved if you're at Booth).

What makes Anderson so special that you'd entertain this quasi-offer?
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Posts: 49
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Consumer Products)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 55

Re: Last minute change: Booth (admitted) vs Anderson (wl)? [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2013, 13:21
Yea you're right. It IS a quasi-offer haha. My family business is a possible option when I want to settle down and it's a good fall back in case recruiting doesn't work out. I also went to UCLA for undergrad haha. And my SO of 4 years will be starting the PT mba there this fall....

Wow you guys have really good insight.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Sep 2012
Posts: 135
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [2] , given: 17

Re: Last minute change: Booth (admitted) vs Anderson (wl)? [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2013, 13:48
2
This post received
KUDOS
lfa wrote:
Yea you're right. It IS a quasi-offer haha. My family business is a possible option when I want to settle down and it's a good fall back in case recruiting doesn't work out. I also went to UCLA for undergrad haha. And my SO of 4 years will be starting the PT mba there this fall....

Wow you guys have really good insight.


Gotcha, that completely changes things lol.

I know if it were my wife in your SO's shoes, I'd go for Anderson to be in the same location (ie, Booth's value over Anderson isn't more important than seeing her every day). Surprised to find myself completely reversing my previous stance haha.

But, obviously, this is really, REALLY up to you.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Posts: 49
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Consumer Products)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 55

Re: Last minute change: Booth (admitted) vs Anderson (wl)? [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2013, 14:39
Blax0r wrote:
lfa wrote:
Yea you're right. It IS a quasi-offer haha. My family business is a possible option when I want to settle down and it's a good fall back in case recruiting doesn't work out. I also went to UCLA for undergrad haha. And my SO of 4 years will be starting the PT mba there this fall....

Wow you guys have really good insight.


Gotcha, that completely changes things lol.

I know if it were my wife in your SO's shoes, I'd go for Anderson to be in the same location (ie, Booth's value over Anderson isn't more important than seeing her every day). Surprised to find myself completely reversing my previous stance haha.

But, obviously, this is really, REALLY up to you.


WHOA ok I just got admitted. I did not expect this...ok NOW it's up to me =]

Thanks for your feedback everybody!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Apr 2013
Posts: 214
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 40

Re: Last minute change: Booth (admitted) vs Anderson (wl)? [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2013, 16:26
Living in westwood is pretty awesome....

chicago is... well, it's chicago.

A University's reputation is a big deal that you carry with you for the rest of your life... but if you end up finding your spouse while you're in grad school (which is extremely common) then would you rather be with someone from Westwood or chicago? ;)

that being said, chicago is def. the better program.
Current Student
avatar
Status: CBS - Class of 2015
Joined: 05 Sep 2012
Posts: 147
Location: United States
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 96

Re: Last minute: Booth admitted R1 vs Anderson admitted 7/12? [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2013, 17:55
lfa wrote:
I was admitted to Booth R1, paid my deposits, went to admit weekend, went to all the Booth events, signed up for everything. I'm pretty much enrolled and about to start figuring out how to bid for classes when all of sudden 2 days ago I was called by Anderson. I've been on the waitlist since round 1 and they've emailed me several times asking if I wanted to continue waiting. I was caught off guard when they called but they pretty much asked if I were to be admitted, would I accept and pay deposit in a short time frame. They also said that I was on a short list of candidates. I told them I had always loved Anderson and it would make sense to stay in SoCal since my family business is here but I would still need to reconsider everything bc I didn't have any mental preparation for all these sudden changes. I was given a cell phone number so I feel like I could call back to strengthen/reiterate my position before they send out decisions next week. Should I do/consider it?

I'm interested in pursuing marketing/tech/entrepreneurship. I have some experience in marketing so I would have a good shot at that. Tech not so much but experienced at social media. Entrepreneurship flows in my veins.


ucla seems like a great fit and if u dont mind staying in socal, which it doesnt sound like you do, id def go there given all the personal factors and the family business there
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Posts: 49
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Consumer Products)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 55

Re: Last minute: Booth admitted R1 vs Anderson admitted 7/12? [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2013, 00:24
Meh lived in Westwood for 4 years...been there, done that. Traffic stresses me out and the low standard of living in the Westwood apartments makes me sad.

In other news, apparently there aren't too many school resources to help you decide with just a week left. Get those high GMAT scores and apply early to kids, so this doesn't happen to you!
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 06 Jun 2011
Posts: 149
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Anderson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: Last minute: Booth admitted R1 vs Anderson admitted 7/12? [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2013, 10:08
A big reason why I didn't apply to booth was because of its location. I didn't want to commute by bus from the loop to Hyde park especially in the terrible weather. Ymmv, although you are probably taking la for granted since you've lived there before.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: Last minute: Booth admitted R1 vs Anderson admitted 7/12?   [#permalink] 17 Jul 2013, 10:08
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Booth vs Anderson (w/ $$$) Bullsfan122 7 10 Mar 2014, 16:45
Experts publish their posts in the topic Booth vs. LBS - admit decision, finance focused bapto 1 03 Jan 2014, 09:55
Admitted to Anderson (UCLA) Class of 2012 asianstyles 10 02 Feb 2010, 06:17
1 Darden R1 Admit 2010 pochcc 0 30 Jan 2010, 18:18
Question about R1 - R2 Admits sam77sam7 5 28 Jan 2008, 11:51
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Last minute: Booth admitted R1 vs Anderson admitted 7/12?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.