Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 11:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Last minute GMAT studying

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Last minute GMAT studying [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2010, 10:57
A new opportunity has presented itself to which I believe I want to pursue, however, I need to take the GMAT.

I took the GMAT about 5 years ago to get into the MBA program at my college. This too happened last minute so all I had time for was to register and then take the exam 2 days later. To say the least, I did not have an opportunity to study. Given that, I still earned a 560. Nothing spectacular, but not bad IMO.

Based on this, what would be the minimum amount of time do you think it would take to study to obtain a 700+? Some background, I work in Public Accounting and passed my CPA exam with probably a total of 30-40 hours of study time per section. Scores for that ranged in the low to mid 80's. I do well studying under pressure/last minute, but obviously, this is not preferable.

Thanks for any honest and thoughtful feedback in advance.

-Zach
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 53

GMAT Tests User
Re: Last minute GMAT studying [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2010, 11:05
TheCoast83 wrote:
A new opportunity has presented itself to which I believe I want to pursue, however, I need to take the GMAT.

I took the GMAT about 5 years ago to get into the MBA program at my college. This too happened last minute so all I had time for was to register and then take the exam 2 days later. To say the least, I did not have an opportunity to study. Given that, I still earned a 560. Nothing spectacular, but not bad IMO.

Based on this, what would be the minimum amount of time do you think it would take to study to obtain a 700+? Some background, I work in Public Accounting and passed my CPA exam with probably a total of 30-40 hours of study time per section. Scores for that ranged in the low to mid 80's. I do well studying under pressure/last minute, but obviously, this is not preferable.

Thanks for any honest and thoughtful feedback in advance.

-Zach

Zach,

Some stats on the number of hours and the correlation with score might be of help to you. Of course it depends on the number of hours you are going to spend, the kind of prep material etc.

gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html#p608957

Also have a look at the following link for 3 month study plan

gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html?highlight=ml301

If you like my post please click +1 kudos on my profile - Thank you!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Losing Motivation? Michael Jordan | Nick Vujicic | Adversity
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 85

Kudos [?]: 481 [0], given: 432

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Last minute GMAT studying [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2010, 12:34
Expert's post
Judging from your previous performance, three to four months of solid, organized study should fully prepare you for the GMAT.

Akaydee has already provided you with some good links. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Last minute GMAT studying [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2010, 16:00
bmillan01 wrote:
Judging from your previous performance, three to four months of solid, organized study should fully prepare you for the GMAT.

Akaydee has already provided you with some good links. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask!

As much as I want to say I can do it in the time I need to, you all are probably right. Looks like I'll have to wait until next year to apply for the opportunity. Thanks everyone!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT Date: 10-22-2011
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 12

Re: Last minute GMAT studying [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2010, 00:33
also smart and effective studying... not just doing x hours a day and expecting it all to sink in without some sort of study advice
Re: Last minute GMAT studying   [#permalink] 24 Aug 2010, 00:33