Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 13:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Last minute re-take prep (650 to 700)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Last minute re-take prep (650 to 700) [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2014, 20:07
This post received
KUDOS
Who might find this useful - peers who are juggling numerous commitments on top of retaking GMAT. Yes, you are running out of time, but don't despair. You might have a different studying style from those who clock 30 hours a week regularly. I actually spent 30mins fretting over the likelihood of being screwed by gmat again because I did not clock 30 hours a week and proceeded to mentally debate the merits of rescheduling, before finally decided that procrastination is no better than biting the bullet and working doubly hard in the limited time.

I didn't have the luxury of time. I only had a 2 day window period to prepare for my second GMAT. Disclaimer - I did worked on some pract questions irregularly (i.e. up to 50 questions in a day when I could spare the time but could be not touching gmat for a month) during the time between my two tests. I had other commitments that demanded all my attention.

Background
First GMAT Aug 2013 was 650.
Retook GMAT Jan 2014 obtained 700.

Lesson learnt: identify your weakness and improve on that SPECIFIC part. Truth is, you might not be in time to become an expert at that area, but it is important to know which area is causing you pain. It is insufficient to say quant, it is important to drill down to - work problems? numbers? or is it data sufficiency?
If there is not much you can takeaway from my note, I hope this point gets across. Essentially, your weakness is what caused your GMAT score to be low - you need to know what you do not know. Quickly.

My problem - quants (and sigh, time management). To be honest, I still tripped over these during the real exam, but I did the best I could in the limited prep time I had.

Material used
1. Cracking the New GMAT, 2013 Edition: Revised and Updated for the New GMAT by Princeton.
If your weakness is verbal, this provides useful exam strategy. I spent 3 hours on the verbal portion. In my opinion, definitely insufficient time to go through the whole book if you are down to 2 days and it is not as useful for quants problem. I used this for my first prep and went through 1.5hours of verbal every night before I sleep.

2. 1 week before my second GMAT test, I found this free service and subscribed to the GMAT mailer which sent me 1 quant and 1 verbal question daily. Takes 10 mins max a day to try to solve it, and check the discussion online.

3. GMAT club diagnostic test (Quants).
First test I did in the intensive 2 days, useful in identifying my weak areas and good explanation provided in the forum by the team. The help I received from GMATclub is the reason why I am sharing my experience (even though mine is not an awe inspiring score of 750 and above).

4. GMAT test prep software.
I took 4 mock tests; 2 each day. Questions do repeated themselves in the mock test, bulk are new material and it instills discipline to manage my time. I skipped through the AWA and IR portion, focused on quants and verbal to get a sense of the likely score. Mine ranged between 630 - 750. Not much reassurance realistically speaking, but it got me into the "GMAT mode" and way of thinking.

5. The Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review, 2nd Edition
This is the up to 50 questions a day book for me. I think the earlier questions of each portion are usually easier, so work through them more quickly than you would for the later half.

Best of luck.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V42
GPA: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Last minute re-take prep (650 to 700) [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2014, 13:02
alpsang wrote:
Who might find this useful - peers who are juggling numerous commitments on top of retaking GMAT. Yes, you are running out of time, but don't despair. You might have a different studying style from those who clock 30 hours a week regularly. I actually spent 30mins fretting over the likelihood of being screwed by gmat again because I did not clock 30 hours a week and proceeded to mentally debate the merits of rescheduling, before finally decided that procrastination is no better than biting the bullet and working doubly hard in the limited time.

I didn't have the luxury of time. I only had a 2 day window period to prepare for my second GMAT. Disclaimer - I did worked on some pract questions irregularly (i.e. up to 50 questions in a day when I could spare the time but could be not touching gmat for a month) during the time between my two tests. I had other commitments that demanded all my attention.

Background
First GMAT Aug 2013 was 650.
Retook GMAT Jan 2014 obtained 700.

Lesson learnt: identify your weakness and improve on that SPECIFIC part. Truth is, you might not be in time to become an expert at that area, but it is important to know which area is causing you pain. It is insufficient to say quant, it is important to drill down to - work problems? numbers? or is it data sufficiency?
If there is not much you can takeaway from my note, I hope this point gets across. Essentially, your weakness is what caused your GMAT score to be low - you need to know what you do not know. Quickly.

My problem - quants (and sigh, time management). To be honest, I still tripped over these during the real exam, but I did the best I could in the limited prep time I had.

Material used
1. Cracking the New GMAT, 2013 Edition: Revised and Updated for the New GMAT by Princeton.
If your weakness is verbal, this provides useful exam strategy. I spent 3 hours on the verbal portion. In my opinion, definitely insufficient time to go through the whole book if you are down to 2 days and it is not as useful for quants problem. I used this for my first prep and went through 1.5hours of verbal every night before I sleep.

2. 1 week before my second GMAT test, I found this free service and subscribed to the GMAT mailer which sent me 1 quant and 1 verbal question daily. Takes 10 mins max a day to try to solve it, and check the discussion online.

3. GMAT club diagnostic test (Quants).
First test I did in the intensive 2 days, useful in identifying my weak areas and good explanation provided in the forum by the team. The help I received from GMATclub is the reason why I am sharing my experience (even though mine is not an awe inspiring score of 750 and above).

4. GMAT test prep software.
I took 4 mock tests; 2 each day. Questions do repeated themselves in the mock test, bulk are new material and it instills discipline to manage my time. I skipped through the AWA and IR portion, focused on quants and verbal to get a sense of the likely score. Mine ranged between 630 - 750. Not much reassurance realistically speaking, but it got me into the "GMAT mode" and way of thinking.

5. The Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review, 2nd Edition
This is the up to 50 questions a day book for me. I think the earlier questions of each portion are usually easier, so work through them more quickly than you would for the later half.

Best of luck.

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. I have been using exactly the same gmat books during the last months (my exam is scheduled on the 30th of this month). My weak part is the Verbal one, but I got a really impressive score on the Princeton CAT (V 42) and now I'm wondering if I have really improved my score or is just because Princeton makes very easy tests (normally I score 31/33 on Verbal).

Do you have any previous experiences with Princeton?

Thanks a lot and congrats for your great score
Nicola
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Affiliations: Economist GMAT Tutor
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 2

Re: Last minute re-take prep (650 to 700) [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2014, 13:24
Expert's post
Congrats on your great score! I am a huge proponent of your strategy, and in fact we here at Economist GMAT Tutor designed our entire course on that very premise -- to focus on students' areas of weakness and not waste time reviewing topics they already know. Nice job boosting your score so much while juggling a busy schedule!

http://econgm.at/GMATclub
For free GMAT practice questions, follow us @econgmat_qs
Economist GMAT Tutor
(866) 292-0660

Re: Last minute re-take prep (650 to 700)   [#permalink] 17 Jan 2014, 13:24