Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 00:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Last month GMAT Strategy

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Last month GMAT Strategy [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2011, 21:15
Hi Guys,

I have scheduled my Gmat Appointment on 8th Feb '11.

I've studied mainly with th OG12, OG11, OG Quantitative Review, Kaplan Premier 2012.

I took three practice tests until now, scoring:
1) MGMAT CAT1 590 (Q40, V32)
2) GMAT PREP1 620 (Q43, V31)
3) KAPLAN on line 1 610 (Q40, V34)

In all of them I was not pressed for time, as I always finished before the 75 minutes. So I'll definitely try to use better all the time.

I am an non native English speaker, so where I could find some difficulties is the verbal section. By the way, as my scores show my verbal is a bit improved. I cannot say the same thing about Maths, in which my scores are not improving.

I would like to get some advices for the last month of preparation. My target is 650+, so where and how do you guys think I should focus?

Thank you
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 90 [1] , given: 16

Re: Last month GMAT Strategy [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2011, 00:04
This post received
KUDOS
Hi giovanni89

As far as studying/improving your scores, you can try to improve/build on your basics in the weakest areas and prepare a condensed study plan that would span for 1-2 weeks.

The following post might be useful:

http://gmatclub.com/forum/what-to-do-for-the-last-14-days-before-the-real-test-120895.html

Do you have any specific weak areas/sections that you'd need strategy on, to improve your score?

Cheers!
Sudish

MBA Candidate 2015 | Georgetown University
McDonough School of Business

Intern
Intern

Re: Last month GMAT Strategy [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2011, 04:17
Hi Sudish,

thank you for your reply.

The post you recommended me should be very useful!

Regarding my weak areas, I think I should improve RC (particularly Inference questions), the questions about idioms in SC and DS. If you could suggest me something about that areas, it would be very appreciated!

Cheers,

Giovanni
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 90 [1] , given: 16

Re: Last month GMAT Strategy [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2011, 08:25
This post received
KUDOS
giovanni89 wrote:
Hi Sudish,

thank you for your reply.

The post you recommended me should be very useful!

Regarding my weak areas, I think I should improve RC (particularly Inference questions), the questions about idioms in SC and DS. If you could suggest me something about that areas, it would be very appreciated!

Cheers,

Giovanni

Giovanni

The best way to improve Verbal is to read, read and read. I'm not very sure whether you've seen it already, but I'll mention the post anyway.

http://gmatclub.com/forum/study-plan-for-verbal-gmat-98342.html

For RC, read books, financial/business magazines, economist, new york times, etc to get a hang of the language and usage of sentences. This will help you in the Sentence Correction section as well.

As per the latest GMAC updates, they no longer test candidates on Idioms - so you need not worry about them. However, you need to understand the basic usage of commonly used words/phrases as well as proper grammatical usage. You'll also need to keep an eye on the meaning of the sentence - you need to select the correct answer which is not only grammatically correct, but has the correct meaning.

Again, for DS, you need to practice as much as you can, especially in weaker sections (for me it was inequalities and absolute value - so the only thing I did to gain confidence was to solve different types of questions in these areas). Moreover, feel free to browse/search this forum. You'll get a lot of resources such as questions, notes, strategies, etc to improve your score.

I hope this helps. :)

Cheers!
Sudish

Intern
Intern

Re: Last month GMAT Strategy [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2011, 22:31
Sudish,

thank you for your advices!

I'd like to ask you another thing. I read some posts in which they talked about Kaplan practice tests; do they really give you a lower score than the real GMAT? I took Kaplan practice test 1 (on line) and I got 600. I got Q40 with 10 incorrect answers. Isn't 40 a bit low with 10 incorrect? In the Performance analysis the percentage below in quantitative is 83% so it could sound strange 40 as result.

Cheers,

Giovanni
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 16

Re: Last month GMAT Strategy [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2011, 22:52
giovanni89 wrote:
Sudish,

thank you for your advices!

I'd like to ask you another thing. I read some posts in which they talked about Kaplan practice tests; do they really give you a lower score than the real GMAT? I took Kaplan practice test 1 (on line) and I got 600. I got Q40 with 10 incorrect answers. Isn't 40 a bit low with 10 incorrect? In the Performance analysis the percentage below in quantitative is 83% so it could sound strange 40 as result.

Cheers,

Giovanni

Giovanni

I've never taken any full-fledged Kaplan practice tests, so I'm not sure whether I could comment on this.
However, some of my friends have given the test and they've got lower scores as well, as compared to GMATPrep or MGMAT.

Cheers!
Sudish

Re: Last month GMAT Strategy   [#permalink] 30 Dec 2011, 22:52