Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 02:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Last Month Prepping 30 Days Left!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Last Month Prepping 30 Days Left! [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2010, 12:11
Though I have only 30 days left until the big date, I decided to blog out between everything I do GMAT related between now and then.

I love to hear what you all think is the best strategy for attacking the final phase, and maximizing score… My basic strategy extend of practice focusing on the problems and concepts... At this point it's too late to go through books in great detail, it seems doing problems is a much better use of my time.

on twitter,
@30DaysLeftGMAT
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 32

Re: Last Month Prepping 30 Days Left! [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2010, 12:16
Just be sure to give yourself some breaks. You need that down time to let things soak in. Definitely don't cram all the way up until the night before!
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 1395 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Last Month Prepping 30 Days Left! [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2010, 13:46
If you maintained an error log, you need to focus on your weaknesses and take a few practice tests. Focus on pacing if you have a tendency to take longer than usual to work a problem. Also, the last day, just chill. :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Last Month Prepping 30 Days Left! [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2010, 17:54
I plan on taking at least 10 more tests in the next 30 days, I have a huge problem with pacing… In my last test I spent 5 min. on the first problem and got it wrong… They'll be sure to take breaks to :-)
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Last Month Prepping 30 Days Left! [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2010, 18:11
Here's the thing, 10 tests in 30 days is a waste of time. Or at least that's what I think. Instead, I'd suggest you take the GMAT Prep once and see what areas you need to work on. Then work on those areas by doing random practice problems for like a day or two and timing yourself as you do these problems. And then take maybe 4 or 5 more practice tests (including GMAT Prep retakes if you plan on doing that).

10 tests might wear you out, but if you feel like that'll help you work on stuff better, then by all means go ahead! :)
Manager
Manager

Re: Last Month Prepping 30 Days Left! [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2010, 18:18
For sure do at least a couple of tests, just to help with the timing of the whole thing. I agree 10 may be overkill. If you used an error log, now would be a good time to go back through it.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2293

Kudos [?]: 9017 [0], given: 3676

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Last Month Prepping 30 Days Left! [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2010, 20:10
Expert's post
I took a total of 6! tests during my prep but I am a genius (no I am not).

Keep this in mind: no matter how many tests you take, if you don't have a good foundation, they won't help...

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Retired Moderator
Followers: 108

Kudos [?]: 230 [0], given: 33

Re: Last Month Prepping 30 Days Left! [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2010, 20:25
Manager
Manager

Re: Last Month Prepping 30 Days Left! [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2010, 22:21
bb wrote:
I took a total of 6! tests during my prep but I am a genius (no I am not).

Sure, sure. We all believe you took 6! = 720 tests. :)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Last Month Prepping 30 Days Left! [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2010, 23:19
Hi
I was also a lot concerened aboutpreparation for last month.
I took on GMAT Prep 1 on Aug 1st 2010 and 690. I wanted to target around 720 as my exam date was on 16th Sep 2010.I thought i had 45 days i could do it. I took leave from 4th sep to 16th sep.
i took around 16 tests (princeton - avg socre 600,knewton- 590, MGmat- avg score 660, gmat prep1 aug 1st - 690,gmat prep2 - sep 12th 690, score800). i thought that i could get 670 to 700.
In last 2 weeks i covered mgmat 5 maths books, mgmat sentence correction, powerscore crtical reasoning. till a week before gmat date say till 10th sep i was thinkg,eating,living, sleeeping gmat. but i donot know waht happened in last week (say from 12th sep after may betaking gmaptprep 2 and scored 690 again, i was very very disappointed that i could not improve from aug1st score to sep12th score same 690 in gmat prep1 as well as gmatprep 2. i completely lost interest as i was disappointed. last 4 days barely i did not study anything apart from awa, but the point is i LOST INTEREST. then finally i took exam on 16th sep and score was unimaginable 570 (q49,v20--my lowest ever) in all my practise tests.... i was schoked..........now i know i have to write again-------i know i lost this year-----the worst part-------i lost interest-----i am unable to start again-------MY POINT IS DONOT OVER DO IN LAST MONTH---KEEP YOUR INTEREST IN TEST TILL YOU WRITE IT ACTUALLY.......I FEEL LOSING INTEREST WAS MY MISTAKE---- I LOST IT A WEEK BEFORE- I THOUGHT I COULD NOT IMPROVE FROM 1ST AUG TO 12TH SEP EVEN THOUGH I PUT SOME MUCH EFFORT, TOOK SO MANY LEAVES I COULD NOT CROSS 700.... FINALLY IN ACTUAL TEST I COULD NOT TOUCH 600 ALSO............i need to start again.
My suggestion is DONOT LOOSE INTEREST TILL U TAKE THE ACTUAL TEST....... DONOT PUSH YOURSELF TO LIMITS ...... KEEP SOMETIME FOR OTHER ACTIVITIES IN YOUR DAILY ROUTINE APART FROM PREPARING FOR GMAT.
ALL THE BEST
TO YOU...
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Last Month Prepping 30 Days Left! [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2010, 23:24
I agree with the above post. You really need to take time for yourself. Too much of ANYTHING is bad. So do take breaks, indulge in a hobby or whatever you like even if it means watching the TV or eating popcorn or something. But keep in touch with the GMAT. unlike me. I've not done any problems in like a week :(

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Manager
Manager

Re: Last Month Prepping 30 Days Left! [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2010, 00:01
You need time to rest and let the information sink in. Take a look at this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/25/techn ... .html?_r=2

For a while I was cramming and working problems even while watching tv and spending time with my family. Then I'd lay down in bed at night and open up a GMAT app on my iPhone and answer questions until I couldn't keep my eyes open. I was getting burned out, because I was depriving myself of the time to just relax and let my brain store all this information :)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Last Month Prepping 30 Days Left! [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2010, 01:43
quality and not quantity is important
take few tests and avoid those errors in next tests
spend more time on analysing

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amar
http://amarnaik.wordpress.com

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 18

Re: Last Month Prepping 30 Days Left! [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2010, 03:11
cchilakapati wrote:
Hi
I was also a lot concerened aboutpreparation for last month.
I took on GMAT Prep 1 on Aug 1st 2010 and 690. I wanted to target around 720 as my exam date was on 16th Sep 2010.I thought i had 45 days i could do it. I took leave from 4th sep to 16th sep.
i took around 16 tests (princeton - avg socre 600,knewton- 590, MGmat- avg score 660, gmat prep1 aug 1st - 690,gmat prep2 - sep 12th 690, score800). i thought that i could get 670 to 700.
In last 2 weeks i covered mgmat 5 maths books, mgmat sentence correction, powerscore crtical reasoning. till a week before gmat date say till 10th sep i was thinkg,eating,living, sleeeping gmat. but i donot know waht happened in last week (say from 12th sep after may betaking gmaptprep 2 and scored 690 again, i was very very disappointed that i could not improve from aug1st score to sep12th score same 690 in gmat prep1 as well as gmatprep 2. i completely lost interest as i was disappointed. last 4 days barely i did not study anything apart from awa, but the point is i LOST INTEREST. then finally i took exam on 16th sep and score was unimaginable 570 (q49,v20--my lowest ever) in all my practise tests.... i was schoked..........now i know i have to write again-------i know i lost this year-----the worst part-------i lost interest-----i am unable to start again-------MY POINT IS DONOT OVER DO IN LAST MONTH---KEEP YOUR INTEREST IN TEST TILL YOU WRITE IT ACTUALLY.......I FEEL LOSING INTEREST WAS MY MISTAKE---- I LOST IT A WEEK BEFORE- I THOUGHT I COULD NOT IMPROVE FROM 1ST AUG TO 12TH SEP EVEN THOUGH I PUT SOME MUCH EFFORT, TOOK SO MANY LEAVES I COULD NOT CROSS 700.... FINALLY IN ACTUAL TEST I COULD NOT TOUCH 600 ALSO............i need to start again.
My suggestion is DONOT LOOSE INTEREST TILL U TAKE THE ACTUAL TEST....... DONOT PUSH YOURSELF TO LIMITS ...... KEEP SOMETIME FOR OTHER ACTIVITIES IN YOUR DAILY ROUTINE APART FROM PREPARING FOR GMAT.
ALL THE BEST
TO YOU...

Oh...That must have hurt very bad :(
One very genuine piece of advice to take away.
All the best mate !

Last edited by dokiyoki on 26 Sep 2010, 22:37, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 66

Re: Last Month Prepping 30 Days Left! [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2010, 10:33
and give the gmat when you are at peak.....i m sure you will do well.....take a break.....have partys....do whatever...then sit one day and start fresh....believe me it will do wonders.....work on your study plan.material as i feel these two are the most imp factors to crack the gmat apart from hard work!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Last Month Prepping 30 Days Left! [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2010, 20:00
Hi dokiyoki and suyashjhawar
thank you for your wishes.
waiting to start all over again
Re: Last Month Prepping 30 Days Left!   [#permalink] 26 Sep 2010, 20:00