Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 20:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Last round or the next admission cycle?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS '16, Stanford '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 16

Last round or the next admission cycle? [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2014, 11:39
Hello buddies!
I applied to HBS and MIT and was dinged by both :( . I am waiting for the answer of other schools, but I need a plan B.
I did not have enough time to apply to Stanford and LBS (London Business School), so I don't know whether I should apply in their last rounds or wait the next admission cycle.
This is my profile:
- Peruvian, 33 years old, male
- In college, I ranked first in my class, whose size was 62 students. I studied business administrion.
- My thesis research to obtain my Licentiate degree ( an additional degree in Peru) received the highest grade achieavable.
- GMAT: 680 Q49 V35 IR7
- I founded two institituions in college. both were student organizations to develop the leadership skills of the students and the comunity
Work experience:
- Manager in the family business (an important supplier of diverse materials in the south)
- Previously, worked in the Ministry of Foreign Trade, developing financial programs to help exporters obtain loans. Also, I negotiated the foreign trade agreeement between my country and the People's Republic of China.
- Was executive of the most important bank of Peru
- Worked as research assistant in one of the most important think tanks of Latin America.
Extracurricular activities_
- Pro bono consultant for the government in the design of some financial programs
- Volunteer in a program to train entrepreneurs
Goal: Found a think tank that advises governments in the implementation of policies that foster competitiveness in Latin America. (is it a good goal for a business school?)

Despite my GMAT, I think I have a good profile. I don't understand why I was dinged :( . But I have to keep walking.

In this sense, what do you think? Should I apply in the last rounds of Stanford and London?, or, should I wait the next cycle? If I had to wait, what should I do to improve my profile? (If I apply in the next cycle, I will reapply to HBS and MIT again)
Thanks!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Last round or the next admission cycle? [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2014, 18:44
Expert's post
You're too old for Stanford and HBS--they admit very few over 30 because they figure if you haven't "made it" by now, they don't want you using them to do so! Your GMAT is also weighing you down. If you could increase your GMAT, you would have a better shot at the top 10, but I doubt you would get any serious attention from HBS or Stanford. It's not about having a "good goal," but about leveraging your past to get a job which ties it all together. You have done a lot of interesting things, but your goal sounds more like yet another idea in a series of unrelated forays into all kinds of career attempts. To business schools, this is going to sound like you "still haven't found what you're looking for" and is a big red flag. I don't mean to be negative, because your background reads like the "most interesting guy in the world" commercials for that Mexican beer. Standing out is not easy, and you should have the standing out part nailed down with all you have done. The challenge will be in toning it down to a coherent theme, one which makes your career choices appear intentional, focused and positioning you well for your future vision. If you think about it, you don't really need an MBA to start up a "think tank" ( I am actually not even really sure what that means, and it's likely the adcoms don't know either). I know this is going to sound like a sales pitch, but you could really benefit from some advice from a consultant. You should go to our website and call our home office for a free consultation to help you sort some of this out. You have a lot of good raw material which needs to be shaped into something great.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews