Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 08:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Last round or the next admission cycle?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS '16, Stanford '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 16

Last round or the next admission cycle? [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2014, 11:49
Hello buddies!
I applied to HBS and MIT and was dinged by both :( . I am waiting for the answer of other schools, but I need a plan B.
I did not have enough time to apply to Stanford and LBS (London Business School), so I don't know whether I should apply in their last rounds or wait the next admission cycle.
This is my profile:
- Peruvian, 33 years old, male
- In college, I ranked first in my class, whose size was 62 students. I studied business administrion.
- My thesis research to obtain my Licentiate degree ( an additional degree in Peru) received the highest grade achieavable.
- GMAT: 680 Q49 V35 IR7
- I founded two institituions in college. both were student organizations to develop the leadership skills of the students and the comunity
Work experience:
- Manager in the family business (an important supplier of diverse materials in the south)
- Previously, worked in the Ministry of Foreign Trade, developing financial programs to help exporters obtain loans. Also, I negotiated the foreign trade agreeement between my country and the People's Republic of China.
- Was executive of the most important bank of Peru
- Worked as research assistant in one of the most important think tanks of Latin America.
Extracurricular activities_
- Pro bono consultant for the government in the design of some financial programs
- Volunteer in a program to train entrepreneurs
Goal: Found a think tank that advises governments in the implementation of policies that foster competitiveness in Latin America. (is it a good goal for a business school?)

Despite my GMAT, I think I have a good profile. I don't understand why I was dinged :( . But I have to keep walking.

In this sense, what do you think? Should I apply in the last rounds of Stanford and London?, or, should I wait the next cycle? If I had to wait, what should I do to improve my profile? (If I apply in the next cycle, I will reapply to HBS and MIT again)
Thanks!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 537 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Last round or the next admission cycle? [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2014, 02:11
Expert's post
Hey dude,
Well I think that maybe you shouldn't rush things a bit. I think a re-evaluation of what you want to do, of your strengths and weaknesses might be more helpful than just rushing into more applications at this point.

I think that honestly, your application was a bit over-ambitious to begin with. You have some totally AWESOME work experience, with with your age and your GMAT score, I think that HBS and MIT were stretches to begin with, and applying to only two of the best schools is a bit chancy.

Looking at what you have written here, actually my advice would be that you go for a) EMBA programs and/or b) European programs. Top 10 Bschools in the US take very few candidates of your age, and when they do, they tend to prefer candidates with an awesome GMAT.

Again you have what seems to be a fantastic work experience, but I think that even for the best and most ideal applications applying ONLY to HBS and MIT is a risky endeavor at best.

I do understand that you probably want to apply ASAP to get this MBA started, and I think at this point you have a few options:
1. Compromise on your US Bschool list and make some applications to schools ranked 10-30 in R3
2. Apply to some Top ranked Euro MBA programs that are still in their early rounds (IMD, INSEAD January, etc.)
3. Decide for EMBA programs.

You don't have to choose only ONE of these strategies, but can mix and match to fit your needs,

If you want a more in-depth review of all your application materials, I'd suggest you consider taking a ding Review before you proceed further:

http://admissionado.com/mba/services-pr ... -analysis/

I hope this helps!
JF

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!