Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 03:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Last time I took the GMAT was 6 years ago...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Last time I took the GMAT was 6 years ago... [#permalink] New post 25 May 2010, 07:09
So 6 years ago I was a youngster and although I took a prep class I didn't do all my assignments. For some reason I did well in class so I thought I was all set, then test day spanked me hard with running out of time on both sections and scoring a painful 400. I think at the time I was just not ready, too early in my career, and I did not have as much standardized testing experience. The only practice test I took was 2 days before the test and the result was a 450, for some reason I still thought I was going to be okay on test day, I clearly ignored the warning signs and did not practice enough.

Following that experience I worked several years in the financial industry and I prepped for and passed a lot of tests including: Series 7, 63, life, accident, and health insurance producer tests, and I cram studied and passed a financial planning exam for the CFP prep. I always remembered how I messed up on the GMAT and I was far more focused when studying for my licensing examinations, I also learned the value of taking practice tests early and often to measure progress. Since then I have switched industries so none of those licensing tests matter anymore but I am thinking that prepping for them taught me the type of discipline I will need for a better GMAT score. I have always wanted to go back to school for my MBA, it's just been a personal goal but I am a bit nervous about the GMAT because my study skills are certainly rusty. The good thing is I am older, less distracted, I've had a lot more testing experience, and I feel like I am ready again.

Right now I accepted a new job and am relocating across several states, I am extremely excited for my new opportunity and the fact they offer tuition reimbursement seems like I may finally have my chance to get my MBA. I know right away I will be busy with learning my new job and fitting GMAT prep into my nights might take a few months of settling into my new position and region of the country. Does anyone have any advice on how I should approach studying again? Even general advice would be fine, I just feel a bit anxious about the whole thing. I am thinking once I get myself moved and have at least 6 months in the job then maybe I can start prepping, and hopefully after a few months of prep I can sit for the test. The goal is to start a graduate program in year 2 of my new employment, does this seem like I am being realistic?

I want to make sure I dedicate 100% of my initial focus on my new job for at least the first 6 months, then once I am past the learning curve I am eager to give this another go. I feel like I know exactly what I did wrong the first time but I can't help this feeling of lacking confidence towards it for some reason, I'm really hoping the study discipline from all my other testing transfers over to this next attempt...

Last edited by screenname on 25 May 2010, 07:16, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Schools: Dalhousie School of Business (Corporate Residency MBA)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 8

Re: Last time I took the GMAT was 6 years ago... [#permalink] New post 25 May 2010, 07:16
In your spare time pop into this forum every now and again and read through answers/reasoning/arguments to various GMAT questions. Make it like a hobby to do it for like 30 mins for 2 days a week or when you're bored (if you're bored).

Doing that over six months will give you a ton of free exposure to the vibe and structure of GMAT-like questions. You might not understand every piece of reasoning or answer, but I guarantee that in six months time when you strap in to start studying, much of the content will seem very, very familiar and you'll be comfortable with tackling some of the grittier details. I think that the right kind of person could actually teach themselves pretty well using these boards alone.

Of course, what these boards can't do for you is train you for timing. That only comes from practice test taking but at this point in time you can worry about that later.

I'm a current Corporate Residency MBA student at Dalhousie University (Nova Scotia, Canada).
This account is to help spread the word about this unique program, as well as to help provide a student perspective for MBA applications and GMAT experiences.

Every week I publish a blog about life in the CRMBA by interviewing current students. Find us on Twitter and Facebook, or post any questions/comments/concerns in this thread here on gmatclub.com

Highlights of the program include:

Specifically designed by Corporations/Employers, No work experience necessary, 8-month paid corporate residency, Grades/GMAT score not the main focus for admittance

Intern
Intern

Re: Last time I took the GMAT was 6 years ago... [#permalink] New post 25 May 2010, 07:18
That sounds like a good way to ease into it! I've been lurking for a bit, not regularly at all, but decided to finally make a profile today...
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Last time I took the GMAT was 6 years ago... [#permalink] New post 25 May 2010, 08:48
Keep in mind that the GMAT is a totally different animal. CFP, series 6, and 66 are all a lot easier to pass than the gmat. Well it really depends on how high you are aiming for. Study the basics and you are sure to break the 600 since you sound like you are a native speaker (sorry if you are not). This test is adaptive and till will get harder unlike the rest of the exams. I put in the same amount of effort in gmat as I did in my cfa which is a bit tougher than nearly all finance based exams.

Make it a habit to read everyday (WSJ, economist, etc) Study the very basics of math and you can score decently well. math is the easiest to improve by far. Will take more practice than your previous tests though if you want 700+ but it all depends on what school you want.
Intern
Intern

Re: Last time I took the GMAT was 6 years ago... [#permalink] New post 28 May 2010, 06:32
Although a 700 would be wonderful I don't think I will need to set my goal that high. I will be in an area of the country without the best of the best schools, so I think something around 600 would be more than fine. I'd love to go to a top 10 program or something but my situation seems that my employer will pay so I will take the best school in the area I can find.

I'll definitely need to get my head into studying once I am all moved and settled in, I think I am intelligent enough to get a good score but I am very nervous after my first experience.
Re: Last time I took the GMAT was 6 years ago...   [#permalink] 28 May 2010, 06:32