Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 13:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 08:39
Here is another view

Laws to require is used when your purpose is to saying the aim of the law.
Laws requiring is used when you are explaining a law.
In this context , ......their compliance with laws requiring turtle-excluder devices.....is protecting. They are using the explanation of the law. Eliminate D,E

laws requiring drivers not to pass speed limit. This is actual text of laws.
Laws to ban smoke in public places . This is the actual purpose of the laws.

Please give kudos if you enjoy the explanations that I have given. Thanks :)

VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 242 [0], given: 67

Re: Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2012, 15:03
can we not eliminate a few of the options on the basis of S- V error apart from taking "Compliance" into consideration.
saying that their compliance with laws requiring that.......
That marks the presence of a dependent clause it must have a verb but clearly first that has got no verb in it and hence can be considered wrong.
Similar manner we can eliminate C.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: IE '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: -15 [0], given: 0

Re: Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 16:29
B is correct.
Laws requiring is correct and compliance .... is protecting is correct
Laws to require is unidiomatic
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 06:09
what is difference among

law requiring
law to requie
law for requiring

pls, help
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 582

Kudos [?]: 2063 [0], given: 673

Re: Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 08:49
Expert's post
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15, NUS '16
GMAT Date: 08-27-2013
GPA: 3.46
WE: Project Management (Other)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 54

Reviews Badge
Re: Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take [#permalink] New post 04 May 2013, 02:21
Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take some credit for the resurgence of the rare Kemp's ridley turtle, saying that their compliance with laws[/u] requiring that turtle-excluder devices be on shrimp nets protect adult sea turtles.[/u]

Here in this SC we have three clauses.Every clause must have a subject and working verb.
clauses

1.Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take some credit for the resurgence of the rare Kemp's ridley turtle, saying - non underlined part.

2. that their compliance with laws requiring - here some part is correct some part is wrong.The error in this clause is that SV agreement.In this clause subject is "compliance" a singular subject ( "laws" is not a subject because it is preceded by a preposition).Singular subject requires a singular working verb which is absent in the clause.

3. that turtle-excluder devices be on shrimp nets protect adult sea turtles - underlined portion of SC.Here subject is "turtles- excluder devices" is plural subject requires plural verb.Here the verb is "protect" is plural.So the SV agreement is correct.

POE of choices.

A. requiring that turtle-excluder devices be on shrimp nets protect-- if we chose this option the second clause goes wrong with SV agreement.Incorrect
B. requiring turtle-excluder devices on shrimp nets is protecting-- here 2 and 3 clauses are clubbed forming a single clause.In this clause subject is "compliance" the verb "is" singular.SO correct
C. that require turtle-excluder devices on shrimp nets protect--same error as A.Incorrect
D. to require turtle-excluder devices on shrimp nets are protecting--here 2 and 3 clauses are clubbed forming a single clause.In this clause subject is "compliance" which is singular and but the verb "are" plural.So Incorrect]
E. to require turtle-excluder devices on shrimp nets is protecting-- Here 2 and 3 clauses are clubbed but clause lacks working verb."protecting " is a gerund. Incorrect

Note- If my explanation is wrong please correct me.Feedback is always appreciated.

.........................................................................................
Please give me kudos if my posts help.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15, NUS '16
GMAT Date: 08-27-2013
GPA: 3.46
WE: Project Management (Other)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 54

Reviews Badge
Re: Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take [#permalink] New post 04 May 2013, 02:51
Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take some credit for the resurgence of the rare Kemp's ridley turtle, saying that their compliance with laws[/u] requiring that turtle-excluder devices be on shrimp nets protect adult sea turtles.[/u]

Here in this SC we have three clauses.Every clause must have a subject and working verb.
clauses

1.Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take some credit for the resurgence of the rare Kemp's ridley turtle, saying - non underlined part.

2. that their compliance with laws requiring - here some part is correct some part is wrong.The error in this clause is that SV agreement.In this clause subject is "compliance" a singular subject ( "laws" is not a subject because it is preceded by a preposition).Singular subject requires a singular working verb which is absent in the clause.

3. that turtle-excluder devices be on shrimp nets protect adult sea turtles - underlined portion of SC.Here subject is "turtles- excluder devices" is plural subject requires plural verb.Here the verb is "protect" is plural.So the SV agreement is correct.

POE of choices.

A. requiring that turtle-excluder devices be on shrimp nets protect-- if we chose this option the second clause goes wrong with SV agreement.Incorrect
B. requiring turtle-excluder devices on shrimp nets is protecting-- here 2 and 3 clauses are clubbed forming a single clause.In this clause subject is "compliance" the verb "is" singular.SO correct
C. that require turtle-excluder devices on shrimp nets protect--same error as A.Incorrect
D. to require turtle-excluder devices on shrimp nets are protecting--here 2 and 3 clauses are clubbed forming a single clause.In this clause subject is "compliance" which is singular and but the verb "are" plural.So Incorrect]
E. to require turtle-excluder devices on shrimp nets is protecting-- Here 2 and 3 clauses are clubbed but clause lacks working verb."protecting " is a gerund. Incorrect

Note- If my explanation is wrong please correct me.Feedback is always appreciated.

.........................................................................................
Please give me kudos if my posts help.

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1422 [0], given: 245

Re: Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take [#permalink] New post 04 May 2013, 03:37
Expert's post
IMO, this is an ‘open and shut’ case involving S-V matching . Limiting just to the underline part, we may see that the subject of the subordinate clause introduced by ‘ that ‘ is compliance, a simple singular noun and therefore its verb should be matching with yet again a singular . You have the singular specification only in B and E; In E, ‘laws to require’ is unidiomatic while ‘laws requiring’ is the custom usage. So E. any hitch?

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 133

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 4

Re: Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take [#permalink] New post 04 May 2013, 04:56
Hi Daagh,

Totally agree with you on S/V - leaving us with B or E.

However I would say that 'laws requiring' is the correct phrase. I can't say I have any idiom table that refutes your point, but it just sounds awful to my eat the other way, and it's not an idiom I've come accross

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1422 [0], given: 245

Re: Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take [#permalink] New post 04 May 2013, 05:00
Expert's post
sorry plumber250 ; I meant to write E is out and B is eventually ; Yes E is terrible . That is what I have said in the explanation before my final sentence,; it ia typo

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 133

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 4

Re: Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take [#permalink] New post 04 May 2013, 05:07
You absolutely do. Sorry - I did not read your post properly.

Apologies all around!

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 70

Re: Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take [#permalink] New post 04 May 2013, 05:11
All duplicate threads on this topic have been merged.

Please read and follow the Guidelines for Posting in Verbal GMAT forum before posting anything.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 57

Re: Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take [#permalink] New post 04 May 2013, 18:53
My 2 cents :P

compliance is usually used as - My compliance with the state law ensures that no harm is done. ( Singular format )

Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take some credit for the resurgence of the rare Kemp's ridley turtle, saying that their compliance with laws requiring that turtle-excluder devices be on shrimp nets protect adult sea turtles.

A. requiring that turtle-excluder devices be on shrimp nets protect
B. requiring turtle-excluder devices on shrimp nets is protecting
C. that require turtle-excluder devices on shrimp nets protect
D. to require turtle-excluder devices on shrimp nets are protecting
E. to require turtle-excluder devices on shrimp nets is protecting

A,C are out because of the singular use of compliance.
"laws to require" is unidiomatic. "laws that require" is more meaningful. This eliminates D and E

B seems to be a good choice although it has -ing usage in 3 places.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 127

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2013, 09:59
daagh wrote:
IMO, this is an ‘open and shut’ case involving S-V matching . Limiting just to the underline part, we may see that the subject of the subordinate clause introduced by ‘ that ‘ is compliance, a simple singular noun and therefore its verb should be matching with yet again a singular . You have the singular specification only in B and E; In E, ‘laws to require’ is unidiomatic while ‘laws requiring’ is the custom usage. So E. any hitch?

cant the plural pronoun 'their' be used as the subject of the 2nd clause, making me select option D. im confused here.
Neeley Thread Master
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 69

Reviews Badge
Re: Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2013, 10:34
saggii27 wrote:
daagh wrote:

cant the plural pronoun 'their' be used as the subject of the 2nd clause, making me select option D. im confused here.

Whenever in doubt regarding the subject of the clause, figure out the verb and then check who is modifying this verb.

Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take some credit for the resurgence of the rare Kemp's ridley turtle, saying that their compliance with laws requiring that turtle-excluder devices be on shrimp nets protect adult sea turtles.

B: requiring turtle-excluder devices on shrimp nets is protecting
D: to require turtle-excluder devices on shrimp nets are protecting

So, the Verb Tense is Present Continuous "is protecting" or "are protecting" ? Now, ask this question to yourself, who is actually the doer of the action i.e. what is protecting adult sea turtles.

Is it Their(shrimpers) or the Compliance (with laws) ???

It has to be the compliance which is protecting adult sea turtles.Thus, the subject of the clause is compliance and not their. Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Target GMAT Score: 700
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.25
WE: Engineering (Consumer Electronics)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 46

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2013, 12:35
B for me.

just scan the answer choices.

A. requiring....protect --> wrong ||sms
B. requiring..protecting..keep ---> "saying that their compliance with laws requiring turtle-excluder devices" is concise.
C. require...protect...keep ---> "saying that their compliance with laws that require turtle-excluder devices" is too wordy
D. require...protecting --> wrong ||sms
E. requite..protecting --> wrong ||sms

Where Focus Goes Energy Flows....Follow you dream and passion.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2014, 10:27
nevergiveup wrote:

Please explain your answers. Thanks.

I got this one wrong because I was too quick, here's the breakdown though:

A) we need s-v agreement: compliance is our subject, so we need a singular verb. Protect is plural, A is gone
B) "Is" is a correct verb to use with compliance, so B is correct.
C) protect is incorrect. C is gone
D) are is incorrect, D is gone
E) the infinitive form "to require" is wrong and awkward. The present participle requiring implies we have a present requirement, which is the intended meaning of the author.

Therefore, B is correct
Re: Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take   [#permalink] 05 Jan 2014, 10:27