Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 07:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Last year, all of the medical waste at County Hospital was

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 103

Last year, all of the medical waste at County Hospital was [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2012, 19:48
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

35% (02:36) correct 65% (01:24) wrong based on 130 sessions
Last year, all of the medical waste at County Hospital was sterilized by autoclaving, then shredded. This process generated a large quantity of unusable material that ended up in a landfill. In order to reduce its trash this year to half of last year’s total, the hospital has updated its waste removal practices. This year, it will autoclave all waste and then incinerate all non-plastic medical waste. This should decrease the number of tons of waste sent to the landfill by half.

Which of the following is required for the updated waste removal program to achieve its aim?

A. This year, the hospital will incinerate all possible materials.

B. The total quantity of medical waste generated at the hospital this year will be no greater than that generated last year.

C. The waste shredded this year will weigh no more than the waste shredded last year

D. Medical waste generated by County Hospital will contain a larger proportion of non-plastic waste this year than it did last year.

E. Separating plastic from non-plastic waste will cost the hospital half of what it cost last year to send the waste to landfills.

Need your help. Why is it not B but C. shred word is not mentioned in the second process. Any expert comments?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

If u can't jump the 700 wall , drill a big hole and cross it .. I can and I WILL DO IT ...need some encouragement and inspirations from U ALL

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1114

Kudos [?]: 5051 [1] , given: 164

Re: Last year, all of the medical waste at County Hospital was [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2012, 21:19
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sujit2k7 wrote:
Last year, all of the medical waste at County Hospital was sterilized by autoclaving, then shredded. This process generated a large quantity of unusable material that ended up in a landfill. In order to reduce its trash this year to half of last year’s total, the hospital has updated its waste removal practices. This year, it will autoclave all waste and then incinerate all non-plastic medical waste. This should decrease the number of tons of waste sent to the landfill by half.

Which of the following is required for the updated waste removal program to achieve its aim?

B. The total quantity of medical waste generated at the hospital this year will be no greater than that generated last year.

C. The waste shredded this year will weigh no more than the waste shredded last year

D. Medical waste generated by County Hospital will contain a larger proportion of non-plastic waste this year than it did last year.

E. Separating plastic from non-plastic waste will cost the hospital half of what it cost last year to send the waste to landfills.

Need your help. Why is it not B but C. shred word is not mentioned in the second process. Any expert comments?

Responding to a pm:
There are two different things here: 'total waste' and 'waste that is shredded'

Last year, all the waste was shredded and sent to a landfill.
This year, it will incinerate some waste (i.e. burn it so nothing will be left to send to a landfill except some ash perhaps!) and shred the rest (which will be sent to a landfill). It is implied that the rest will be shredded and sent to a landfill even if they haven't mentioned it as such since the last sentence says "This should decrease the number of tons of waste sent to the landfill by half. " It means the waste that is not incinerated (i.e. plastic waste) will still be shredded and send to the landfill.

The aim is to decrease the waste sent to landfill by half. The shredded waste is sent to the landfill. This means that the waste shredded this year should be less than the waste shredded last year. Hence (C) is correct.

(B) need not be correct. Even if the total waste this year is more, it is possible that most of it is non plastic and hence is incinerated. It is still possible that the waste sent to the landfill this year is half of last year's.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 5051 [1] , given: 164

Re: Last year, all of the medical waste at County Hospital was [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2012, 00:55
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
getgyan wrote:

Hi Karishma

Option C states that "the waste shredded this year will weigh no more than the waste shredded last year". Does not this imply that the weight of waste can be equal or less but not more than last year. If it is equal the hospital wont be able to reduce its waste by half.

I find option B (more) correct than C. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Look at the question stem: "Which of the following is required for the updated waste removal program to achieve its aim?"

It is a kind of 'must be true' question. Which of the following is required...

The aim of the hospital is that the weight of the shredded waste this year should be half of the weight of shredded waste last year. For this to happen, it is necessary that the weight of the shredded weight this year be less than the weight of the shredded waste last year.
It is something like 'if I want T to be half of L, it is necessary that T must be less than L' - It is necessary, not sufficient.

Hence option (C) is correct.

As for B, we don't necessarily need it to be true.
"The total quantity of medical waste generated at the hospital this year will be no greater than that generated last year."

Look at the following scenario:
Last year: Total waste - 100 ton, shredded waste - 100 ton
This year: Total waste 110 ton, incinerated waste - 60 ton, shredded waste - 50 ton
Hence the aim can still be met even if the total quantity of medical waste generated at the hospital this year is greater than that generated last year.

Karishma
My Blog

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Current Student
Affiliations: SAE
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 269

Re: Last year, all of the medical waste at County Hospital was [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2012, 01:22
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
sujit2k7 wrote:

Responding to a pm:
There are two different things here: 'total waste' and 'waste that is shredded'

Last year, all the waste was shredded and sent to a landfill.
This year, it will incinerate some waste (i.e. burn it so nothing will be left to send to a landfill except some ash perhaps!) and shred the rest (which will be sent to a landfill). It is implied that the rest will be shredded and sent to a landfill even if they haven't mentioned it as such since the last sentence says "This should decrease the number of tons of waste sent to the landfill by half. " It means the waste that is not incinerated (i.e. plastic waste) will still be shredded and send to the landfill.

The aim is to decrease the waste sent to landfill by half. The shredded waste is sent to the landfill. This means that the waste shredded this year should be less than the waste shredded last year. Hence (C) is correct.

(B) need not be correct. Even if the total waste this year is more, it is possible that most of it is non plastic and hence is incinerated. It is still possible that the waste sent to the landfill this year is half of last year's.

Hi Karishma

Option C states that "the waste shredded this year will weigh no more than the waste shredded last year". Does not this imply that the weight of waste can be equal or less but not more than last year. If it is equal the hospital wont be able to reduce its waste by half.

I find option B (more) correct than C. Please correct me if I am wrong.

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html

Current Student
Affiliations: SAE
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 269

Re: Last year, all of the medical waste at County Hospital was [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2012, 01:09
It makes sense now. Thanks Karishma. :)

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html

Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 5051 [0], given: 164

Re: Last year, all of the medical waste at County Hospital was [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 01:40
Expert's post
Responding to a pm:

Yes, it is not mentioned that this year, the plastic waste will be shredded but it is kind of implied, isn't it? Shredded waste is sent to landfill. To halve the waste sent to landfill, the shredded waste must be halved. They have just told you how they will halve it - by incinerating the non plastic waste. Isn't it implied that the plastic waste will still be shredded and sent to the landfill?

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 265 [0], given: 67

Re: Last year, all of the medical waste at County Hospital was [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 02:02
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Responding to a pm:

Yes, it is not mentioned that this year, the plastic waste will be shredded but it is kind of implied, isn't it? Shredded waste is sent to landfill. To halve the waste sent to landfill, the shredded waste must be halved. They have just told you how they will halve it - by incinerating the non plastic waste. Isn't it implied that the plastic waste will still be shredded and sent to the landfill?

I think you are vey true as it is mentioned that they are going to reduce the trash hence trash = shreded waste
but i think this is a grey area in gmat where the inexpeirenced test takers can be foxed
thanks any way
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Last year, all of the medical waste at County Hospital was [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2013, 21:47
Medical waste disposing a major threat to a hospital when it can’t be disposed in proper way. In Maryland, Virginia, Washington DC situated hospital faces most. So Secure Waste disposal services a trustful and worthy disposal company where you problem of disposing waste considered to be vanished because of their compliance and complete service.
Re: Last year, all of the medical waste at County Hospital was   [#permalink] 17 Nov 2013, 21:47