Last year, all of the medical waste at County Hospital was : GMAT Critical Reasoning (CR)
Check GMAT Club App Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases http://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 05 Dec 2016, 04:46
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Last year, all of the medical waste at County Hospital was

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2011
Posts: 181
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 103

Last year, all of the medical waste at County Hospital was [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2012, 19:48
6
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

33% (02:42) correct 67% (01:40) wrong based on 391 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Last year, all of the medical waste at County Hospital was sterilized by autoclaving, then shredded. This process generated a large quantity of unusable material that ended up in a landfill. In order to reduce its trash this year to half of last year’s total, the hospital has updated its waste removal practices. This year, it will autoclave all waste and then incinerate all non-plastic medical waste. This should decrease the number of tons of waste sent to the landfill by half.

Which of the following is required for the updated waste removal program to achieve its aim?

A. This year, the hospital will incinerate all possible materials.

B. The total quantity of medical waste generated at the hospital this year will be no greater than that generated last year.

C. The waste shredded this year will weigh no more than the waste shredded last year

D. Medical waste generated by County Hospital will contain a larger proportion of non-plastic waste this year than it did last year.

E. Separating plastic from non-plastic waste will cost the hospital half of what it cost last year to send the waste to landfills.



Need your help. Why is it not B but C. shred word is not mentioned in the second process. Any expert comments?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

If u can't jump the 700 wall , drill a big hole and cross it .. I can and I WILL DO IT ...need some encouragement and inspirations from U ALL

Request Expert Reply
If you have any questions
you can ask an expert
New!
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 7066
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 2084

Kudos [?]: 13268 [2] , given: 221

Re: Last year, all of the medical waste at County Hospital was [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2012, 21:19
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
sujit2k7 wrote:
Last year, all of the medical waste at County Hospital was sterilized by autoclaving, then shredded. This process generated a large quantity of unusable material that ended up in a landfill. In order to reduce its trash this year to half of last year’s total, the hospital has updated its waste removal practices. This year, it will autoclave all waste and then incinerate all non-plastic medical waste. This should decrease the number of tons of waste sent to the landfill by half.

Which of the following is required for the updated waste removal program to achieve its aim?

A. This year, the hospital will incinerate all possible materials.

B. The total quantity of medical waste generated at the hospital this year will be no greater than that generated last year.

C. The waste shredded this year will weigh no more than the waste shredded last year

D. Medical waste generated by County Hospital will contain a larger proportion of non-plastic waste this year than it did last year.

E. Separating plastic from non-plastic waste will cost the hospital half of what it cost last year to send the waste to landfills.



Need your help. Why is it not B but C. shred word is not mentioned in the second process. Any expert comments?


Responding to a pm:
There are two different things here: 'total waste' and 'waste that is shredded'

Last year, all the waste was shredded and sent to a landfill.
This year, it will incinerate some waste (i.e. burn it so nothing will be left to send to a landfill except some ash perhaps!) and shred the rest (which will be sent to a landfill). It is implied that the rest will be shredded and sent to a landfill even if they haven't mentioned it as such since the last sentence says "This should decrease the number of tons of waste sent to the landfill by half. " It means the waste that is not incinerated (i.e. plastic waste) will still be shredded and send to the landfill.

The aim is to decrease the waste sent to landfill by half. The shredded waste is sent to the landfill. This means that the waste shredded this year should be less than the waste shredded last year. Hence (C) is correct.

(B) need not be correct. Even if the total waste this year is more, it is possible that most of it is non plastic and hence is incinerated. It is still possible that the waste sent to the landfill this year is half of last year's.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Director
Director
User avatar
Affiliations: SAE
Joined: 11 Jul 2012
Posts: 509
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 245 [0], given: 269

Re: Last year, all of the medical waste at County Hospital was [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2012, 01:22
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
sujit2k7 wrote:
Last year, all of the medical waste at County Hospital was sterilized by autoclaving, then shredded. This process generated a large quantity of unusable material that ended up in a landfill. In order to reduce its trash this year to half of last year’s total, the hospital has updated its waste removal practices. This year, it will autoclave all waste and then incinerate all non-plastic medical waste. This should decrease the number of tons of waste sent to the landfill by half.

Which of the following is required for the updated waste removal program to achieve its aim?

A. This year, the hospital will incinerate all possible materials.

B. The total quantity of medical waste generated at the hospital this year will be no greater than that generated last year.

C. The waste shredded this year will weigh no more than the waste shredded last year

D. Medical waste generated by County Hospital will contain a larger proportion of non-plastic waste this year than it did last year.

E. Separating plastic from non-plastic waste will cost the hospital half of what it cost last year to send the waste to landfills.



Need your help. Why is it not B but C. shred word is not mentioned in the second process. Any expert comments?


Responding to a pm:
There are two different things here: 'total waste' and 'waste that is shredded'

Last year, all the waste was shredded and sent to a landfill.
This year, it will incinerate some waste (i.e. burn it so nothing will be left to send to a landfill except some ash perhaps!) and shred the rest (which will be sent to a landfill). It is implied that the rest will be shredded and sent to a landfill even if they haven't mentioned it as such since the last sentence says "This should decrease the number of tons of waste sent to the landfill by half. " It means the waste that is not incinerated (i.e. plastic waste) will still be shredded and send to the landfill.

The aim is to decrease the waste sent to landfill by half. The shredded waste is sent to the landfill. This means that the waste shredded this year should be less than the waste shredded last year. Hence (C) is correct.

(B) need not be correct. Even if the total waste this year is more, it is possible that most of it is non plastic and hence is incinerated. It is still possible that the waste sent to the landfill this year is half of last year's.


Hi Karishma

Option C states that "the waste shredded this year will weigh no more than the waste shredded last year". Does not this imply that the weight of waste can be equal or less but not more than last year. If it is equal the hospital wont be able to reduce its waste by half.

I find option B (more) correct than C. Please correct me if I am wrong.
_________________

First Attempt 710 - http://gmatclub.com/forum/first-attempt-141273.html

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 7066
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 2084

Kudos [?]: 13268 [2] , given: 221

Re: Last year, all of the medical waste at County Hospital was [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2012, 00:55
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
getgyan wrote:


Hi Karishma

Option C states that "the waste shredded this year will weigh no more than the waste shredded last year". Does not this imply that the weight of waste can be equal or less but not more than last year. If it is equal the hospital wont be able to reduce its waste by half.

I find option B (more) correct than C. Please correct me if I am wrong.


Look at the question stem: "Which of the following is required for the updated waste removal program to achieve its aim?"

It is a kind of 'must be true' question. Which of the following is required...

The aim of the hospital is that the weight of the shredded waste this year should be half of the weight of shredded waste last year. For this to happen, it is necessary that the weight of the shredded weight this year be less than the weight of the shredded waste last year.
It is something like 'if I want T to be half of L, it is necessary that T must be less than L' - It is necessary, not sufficient.

Hence option (C) is correct.

As for B, we don't necessarily need it to be true.
"The total quantity of medical waste generated at the hospital this year will be no greater than that generated last year."

Look at the following scenario:
Last year: Total waste - 100 ton, shredded waste - 100 ton
This year: Total waste 110 ton, incinerated waste - 60 ton, shredded waste - 50 ton
Hence the aim can still be met even if the total quantity of medical waste generated at the hospital this year is greater than that generated last year.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Director
Director
User avatar
Affiliations: SAE
Joined: 11 Jul 2012
Posts: 509
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 245 [0], given: 269

Re: Last year, all of the medical waste at County Hospital was [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2012, 01:09
It makes sense now. Thanks Karishma. :)
_________________

First Attempt 710 - http://gmatclub.com/forum/first-attempt-141273.html

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 7066
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 2084

Kudos [?]: 13268 [0], given: 221

Re: Last year, all of the medical waste at County Hospital was [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2012, 01:40
Responding to a pm:

Yes, it is not mentioned that this year, the plastic waste will be shredded but it is kind of implied, isn't it? Shredded waste is sent to landfill. To halve the waste sent to landfill, the shredded waste must be halved. They have just told you how they will halve it - by incinerating the non plastic waste. Isn't it implied that the plastic waste will still be shredded and sent to the landfill?
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

VP
VP
avatar
Status: Final Lap Up!!!
Affiliations: NYK Line
Joined: 21 Sep 2012
Posts: 1096
Location: India
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 518 [0], given: 70

Re: Last year, all of the medical waste at County Hospital was [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2012, 02:02
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Responding to a pm:

Yes, it is not mentioned that this year, the plastic waste will be shredded but it is kind of implied, isn't it? Shredded waste is sent to landfill. To halve the waste sent to landfill, the shredded waste must be halved. They have just told you how they will halve it - by incinerating the non plastic waste. Isn't it implied that the plastic waste will still be shredded and sent to the landfill?


I think you are vey true as it is mentioned that they are going to reduce the trash hence trash = shreded waste
but i think this is a grey area in gmat where the inexpeirenced test takers can be foxed
thanks any way
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2013
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Last year, all of the medical waste at County Hospital was [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2013, 21:47
Medical waste disposing a major threat to a hospital when it can’t be disposed in proper way. In Maryland, Virginia, Washington DC situated hospital faces most. So Secure Waste disposal services a trustful and worthy disposal company where you problem of disposing waste considered to be vanished because of their compliance and complete service.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10438
Followers: 883

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Last year, all of the medical waste at County Hospital was [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2015, 04:22
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Feb 2015
Posts: 16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 115

Re: Last year, all of the medical waste at County Hospital was [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2015, 07:22
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
sujit2k7 wrote:
Last year, all of the medical waste at County Hospital was sterilized by autoclaving, then shredded. This process generated a large quantity of unusable material that ended up in a landfill. In order to reduce its trash this year to half of last year’s total, the hospital has updated its waste removal practices. This year, it will autoclave all waste and then incinerate all non-plastic medical waste. This should decrease the number of tons of waste sent to the landfill by half.

Which of the following is required for the updated waste removal program to achieve its aim?

A. This year, the hospital will incinerate all possible materials.

B. The total quantity of medical waste generated at the hospital this year will be no greater than that generated last year.

C. The waste shredded this year will weigh no more than the waste shredded last year

D. Medical waste generated by County Hospital will contain a larger proportion of non-plastic waste this year than it did last year.

E. Separating plastic from non-plastic waste will cost the hospital half of what it cost last year to send the waste to landfills.



Need your help. Why is it not B but C. shred word is not mentioned in the second process. Any expert comments?


Responding to a pm:
There are two different things here: 'total waste' and 'waste that is shredded'

Last year, all the waste was shredded and sent to a landfill.
This year, it will incinerate some waste (i.e. burn it so nothing will be left to send to a landfill except some ash perhaps!) and shred the rest (which will be sent to a landfill). It is implied that the rest will be shredded and sent to a landfill even if they haven't mentioned it as such since the last sentence says "This should decrease the number of tons of waste sent to the landfill by half. " It means the waste that is not incinerated (i.e. plastic waste) will still be shredded and send to the landfill.

The aim is to decrease the waste sent to landfill by half. The shredded waste is sent to the landfill. This means that the waste shredded this year should be less than the waste shredded last year. Hence (C) is correct.

(B) need not be correct. Even if the total waste this year is more, it is possible that most of it is non plastic and hence is incinerated. It is still possible that the waste sent to the landfill this year is half of last year's.


While I am sure option B is wrong. Why option D is wrong?
Let's assume this scenario:
Last year: 100 tons of all materials shredded
This year: 90 tons shredded and 10 tons incinerated (non-plastic).
in this example, option C is satisfied (thinking about it, most examples will be satisfied). but yet, we can only decrease the waste sent to landfill by 10%.

But option D is saying that this year non-plastic will have larger proportion (50% and above) which is more correct to say to reduce it by half. No matter how varied the weight of the materials, option D will decrease the waste sent to landfill by 50%.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 7066
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 2084

Kudos [?]: 13268 [0], given: 221

Re: Last year, all of the medical waste at County Hospital was [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2015, 19:23
antztheman wrote:

While I am sure option B is wrong. Why option D is wrong?
Let's assume this scenario:
Last year: 100 tons of all materials shredded
This year: 90 tons shredded and 10 tons incinerated (non-plastic).
in this example, option C is satisfied (thinking about it, most examples will be satisfied). but yet, we can only decrease the waste sent to landfill by 10%.

But option D is saying that this year non-plastic will have larger proportion (50% and above) which is more correct to say to reduce it by half. No matter how varied the weight of the materials, option D will decrease the waste sent to landfill by 50%.


(D) says "WAste will contain a larger proportion of non-plastic waste this year than it did last year."

This needn't be true. Non plastic waste should be more than 50% for the plan to work but what if it was already more than 50% last year? The comparison is with last year and hence it needn't be true. If last year plastic waste was say 60%, if it is 60% this year too, plan may still work. (D) is not necessary for the plan to work.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10438
Followers: 883

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Last year, all of the medical waste at County Hospital was [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2016, 06:12
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 May 2014
Posts: 39
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 17

Last year, all of the medical waste at County Hospital was [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2016, 06:52
The easiest way to solve such questions is to reverse the scenario mentioned in each option and see if it is a complete deal breaker or not .Lets check out.

Which of the following is required for the updated waste removal program to achieve its aim?

A. This year, the hospital will incinerate all possible materials. -- This year hospital will not incinerate all possible material -- 1)maybe the materials it will not incinerate dont weigh much maybe they do . 2) Maybe its only possible to incinerate 1 % of the materials . Lot of uncertainties here, definitely wrong.

B. The total quantity of medical waste generated at the hospital this year will be no greater than that generated last year. -- The total quantity of medical waste will be greater than last year - So even if we generate 2X waste and incinerate 100% of the waste(plastic) . Our Goal is reached. No deal breaker here.

C. The waste shredded this year will weigh no more than the waste shredded last year - Waste shredded this year will weigh more than waste shredded last year -- So even after removal of all plastic waste the weight of left over waste is more than the weight of last years land fill waste the efforts would definitely would go in vain. Certain Deal Breaker.

D. Medical waste generated by County Hospital will contain a larger proportion of non-plastic waste this year than it did last year. -- The proportion of non-plastic waste this year will be lesser than last year -- so if Last Year out of 100 Kg of waste , 70 % was plastic waste . This Year the proportion of plastic waste can be 60 % and still our conclusion would hold removal of even 60 % of plastic waste would lead to significant weight reduction .


E. Separating plastic from non-plastic waste will cost the hospital half of what it cost last year to send the waste to landfills. - Cost is totally irrelevant in this discussion.Dont even look at this option :)
Last year, all of the medical waste at County Hospital was   [#permalink] 13 Jul 2016, 06:52
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
3 Experts publish their posts in the topic #Top150 CR: Last year, all of the medical waste at County Hospital was souvik101990 7 16 Dec 2015, 08:45
6 Last year the county park system failed to generate enough rohitgoel15 7 09 Jul 2010, 21:56
Last year the county park system failed to generate enough mymba99 3 18 Apr 2008, 09:33
Last year County C created and filled more manufacturing Balvinder 8 19 May 2007, 02:36
Last year County C created and filled more manufacturing AimHigher 12 26 Apr 2007, 20:16
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Last year, all of the medical waste at County Hospital was

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.