Last year in a group of 30 businesses, 21 reported a net : DS Archive
Check GMAT Club App Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases http://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 05 Dec 2016, 02:27
GMAT Club Tests

ISB

results are coming out; Check your application portal. Join chat room for live updates


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Last year in a group of 30 businesses, 21 reported a net

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1926
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 984 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Last year in a group of 30 businesses, 21 reported a net [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2009, 18:23
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

This topic is locked. If you want to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum.

Last year in a group of 30 businesses, 21 reported a net profit and
15 had investments in foreign markets. How many of the businesses
did not report a net profit nor invest in foreign markets last year?
(1) last year 12 of the 30 businesses
reported a net profit and had investments
in foreign markets.
(2) last year 24 of the 30 businesses
reported a net profit or invested in
foreign markets, or both.

Want to make sure that Oa is wrong!
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 08 Feb 2009
Posts: 146
Schools: Anderson
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 3

Re: Sets [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2009, 18:38
Answer - D

Total = N = Profit + Not Profit = Invest + Not Invest

If you draw out a chart, it is easier.

(1) 30 = 21 + 9 = 15 + 15

If 12 reported Profit and Invested, 15-12 = 3 Invested, but Not Profit.
Not Profit = 9.
Not Profit - Invest, Not Profit = 9 - 3 = 6.
SUFFICIENT.

(2)
This is straightforward.
30 - 24 = 6
SUFFICIENT.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 May 2009
Posts: 195
Schools: Stanford, Harvard, Berkeley, INSEAD
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 1

Re: Sets [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2009, 21:00
sondenso wrote:
Last year in a group of 30 businesses, 21 reported a net profit and
15 had investments in foreign markets. How many of the businesses
did not report a net profit nor invest in foreign markets last year?
(1) last year 12 of the 30 businesses
reported a net profit and had investments
in foreign markets.
(2) last year 24 of the 30 businesses
reported a net profit or invested in
foreign markets, or both.

Want to make sure that Oa is wrong!


Variables:
\(P\) - net profit
\(F\) - foreign markets
\(B\) - both
\(X\) - neither

Given:
\(P+B+F+X=30\)

\(P+B=21\)

\(F+B=15\)

Question:\((X?)\)

(1) \(B=12\)

(2) \(P+F+B=24\)

We're given 3 equations, we just need 1 more. Either fact gives us this.

Final Answer, \(D\).
_________________

Hades

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1926
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 984 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Re: Sets [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2009, 00:34
Hades wrote:
sondenso wrote:
Last year in a group of 30 businesses, 21 reported a net profit and
15 had investments in foreign markets. How many of the businesses
did not report a net profit nor invest in foreign markets last year?
(1) last year 12 of the 30 businesses
reported a net profit and had investments
in foreign markets.
(2) last year 24 of the 30 businesses
reported a net profit or invested in
foreign markets, or both.

Want to make sure that Oa is wrong!


Variables:
\(P\) - net profit
\(F\) - foreign markets
\(B\) - both
\(X\) - neither

Given:
\(P+B+F+X=30\)

\(P+B=21\)

\(F+B=15\)

Question:\((X?)\)

(1) \(B=12\)

(2) \(P+F+B=24\)

We're given 3 equations, we just need 1 more. Either fact gives us this.

Final Answer, \(D\).


Agree, D should be the OA
OA wrong!
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 May 2009
Posts: 195
Schools: Stanford, Harvard, Berkeley, INSEAD
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 1

Re: Sets [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2009, 00:54
sondenso wrote:
Hades wrote:
sondenso wrote:
Last year in a group of 30 businesses, 21 reported a net profit and
15 had investments in foreign markets. How many of the businesses
did not report a net profit nor invest in foreign markets last year?
(1) last year 12 of the 30 businesses
reported a net profit and had investments
in foreign markets.
(2) last year 24 of the 30 businesses
reported a net profit or invested in
foreign markets, or both.

Want to make sure that Oa is wrong!


Variables:
\(P\) - net profit
\(F\) - foreign markets
\(B\) - both
\(X\) - neither

Given:
\(P+B+F+X=30\)

\(P+B=21\)

\(F+B=15\)

Question:\((X?)\)

(1) \(B=12\)

(2) \(P+F+B=24\)

We're given 3 equations, we just need 1 more. Either fact gives us this.

Final Answer, \(D\).


Agree, D should be the OA
OA wrong!


Where are you getting these from?
_________________

Hades

Re: Sets   [#permalink] 02 Jun 2009, 00:54
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Last year in a group of 30 businesses, 21 reported a net

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.