Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 11:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Last year, seniors at Jasper County s public high schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 85 [1] , given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User
Last year, seniors at Jasper County s public high schools [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2010, 11:27
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

55% (02:47) correct 45% (01:39) wrong based on 137 sessions
Last year, seniors at Jasper County’s public high schools performed worse on standardized college-entrance exams than their peers at Nesbit County’s public high schools. In recent years, more and more Jasper County residents have been enrolling their children in private high schools, where the teacher-to-student ratio is traditionally lower than in public schools, and enrollment in Jasper County’s public high schools has dwindled as a result.

Based only on the information above, parents residing in Jasper County and concerned about their child’s academic future should pursue which of the following courses of action?

(A) Enroll their child in one of Jasper County’s public schools.
(B) Stay in Jasper County and enroll their child in a private school.
(C) Provide home schooling for their child rather than enrolling the child in either a public or private school.
(D) Move away from Jasper County and enroll their child in a private school.
(E) Move to Nesbit County and enroll their child in that county’s public schools.

OE:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The correct response is (E). Comparatively high test scores among Nesbit County’s senior class constitues some evidence that Nesbit County’s public schools provide a better education than those in Jasper County. The argument for enrolling a child in a private school rather than a public school is weaker because it depends on the additional, unsubstantiated assumption that a low teacher-to-student ratio results in a higher-quality education. Moreover, current school-enrollment trends in Jasper County schools suggest that public schools are becoming more appealing — and private schools less appealing — in terms of teacher-to-student ratio.

OA:
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: ISB, Tepper - CMU, Chicago Booth, LSB
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 50

Re: Public School vs Private school [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2010, 12:57
With the given stimulus only option B and E are relevant.

If we consider B to be the best option, then the student to teacher ratio in the county's private school will raise and it might impact the standard of education. Option E sounds good since the performance of the students in Nesbit County’s public high school is not worse than Jasper County’s public high schools.

:good Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog :thanks

Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Public School vs Private school [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2010, 13:23
Interesting, I chose B. I did because I formed my own assumption that private school, and the lower student-teacher ratio means better education, even though that is not clearly stated.

I like this question — it helped me to understand when I'm making my own assumptions vs. reading the passage's facts.
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 709 [1] , given: 3

Re: Public School vs Private school [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2010, 17:38
This post received
KUDOS
Where is this question from? Based on the passage, we have the following information:

* Test scores are higher at Nesbit Public Schools than at Jasper Public Schools. We have no information about test scores at private schools. So, we have some reason to think that Nesbit Public Schools are better than Jasper Public Schools, but no reason at all to think that Nesbit public schools are better than private schools in either Jasper or Nesbit;

* Jasper parents have increasingly *chosen* to spend money to send their children to Jasper private schools. That's evidence that, at least in the opinion of parents in Jasper, private schools there are preferable to public schools there;

* The population of students in Jasper public schools has been changing: Jasper parents are increasingly sending their children to private schools. There is certainly the possibility of sample bias here; perhaps the most promising students are the ones being sent to private schools, and Jasper Public School test scores are lower than those in Nesbit because the remaining students at Jasper public schools are worse, and not because the education in Jasper is worse;

* With the decrease in students in Jasper public schools, there is the possibility that the student-teacher ratio there is substantially better than elsewhere. The stem suggests (though does not state outright) that this is one factor determining the quality of education.

There just is not enough information to give a good answer here; you can, depending on how you look at the stem, provide a justification for many different education choices for the hypothetical student in the question. Indeed, the equivalence that the OE uses to justify answer E (higher test scores = better education) is precisely the type of overly simplistic conclusion that GMAT CR questions are often asking you to identify and weaken. I really don't like this question.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 331 [0], given: 109

Re: Public School vs Private school [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 13:31
+1 E

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT Date: 05-26-2013
GPA: 3
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Last year, seniors at Jasper County s public high schools [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2012, 09:41
I would say E as the public schools in Jasper are already performing badly. And we know that Nesbit is doing good in comparison to Jasper. Now we also know that the T/S ratio in Jasper's private schools is growing bad and thus we come to a following trend
Private Jasper <= Public Jasper < Public Nesbit

Thus E
Expert Post
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 2

Re: Public School vs Private school [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2012, 09:53
Expert's post
IanStewart wrote:

There just is not enough information to give a good answer here; you can, depending on how you look at the stem, provide a justification for many different education choices for the hypothetical student in the question. Indeed, the equivalence that the OE uses to justify answer E (higher test scores = better education) is precisely the type of overly simplistic conclusion that GMAT CR questions are often asking you to identify and weaken. I really don't like this question.
Seconded--this question doesn't look right. Unfortunately, the original post on this thread was nearly two years ago, so I doubt we'll get a source for this problem to confirm it's validity.

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 308

Kudos [?]: 487 [0], given: 2

CAT Tests
Re: Last year, seniors at Jasper County s public high schools [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2012, 13:39
Expert's post
Going to chime in on this one as well: This is clearly not a valid question, either in terms of the logical succinctness of the answer or the quality of the answer choices. Indeed, I would go so far as to say that this type of question is Uncritical Reasoning. The contention that two things are the same, despite obvious differences, is a logical fallacy often employed to write critical reasoning questions. Here, this logical fallacy is the reasoning behind the answer.

To illustrate: we cannot assume that what works for Nesbit-ians will work for Jasper residents. There could be multiple factors beyond public and private schooling as to why Nesbit students do better on standardized exams. Socioeconomic factors are but one consideration. Just writing this, I feel like I am writing an essay for the Argument Task of the AWA. You know, the one which is filled with unwarranted assumptions. Just like this question. If only there were a prison in which to lock up these faulty questions :).

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q49 V22
GMAT 3: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT 4: 620 Q48 V27
GMAT 5: 660 Q50 V28
WE: Design (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: Last year, seniors at Jasper County s public high schools [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2012, 10:41
Since, it has not been mentioned that the move of Jasper county students from public to private high schools in their own county has helped them academically. Thus, B is cancelled out & we are left with E.
Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 75

Re: Last year, seniors at Jasper County s public high schools [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2012, 02:18
+1 for E but i don't know how far it is a pragmatic solution.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

SVP
SVP
Followers: 277

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Last year, seniors at Jasper County s public high schools [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2014, 23:40
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Last year, seniors at Jasper County s public high schools [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2014, 10:51
This is an awful question. nothing about it can lead the test taker to pick an answer with any type of confidence.
Re: Last year, seniors at Jasper County s public high schools   [#permalink] 24 Sep 2014, 10:51