Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 05:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Late bloomer requests advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Late bloomer requests advice [#permalink] New post 30 May 2007, 11:28
I'll start with where I stand right now:
BA in Music from Texas Lutheran University (I know, I know...)
UGPA: 3.8
GMAT: 690 overall, 42 V, 41 Q, 5.5 AWA
Work experience: 4 years USMC (enlisted), 2+ years National Guard, the rest really isn't worth mentioning

What's in the works:
I'm starting an MS in Information Technologies program in the fall at the University of North Texas. Since most of their classes are in the evenings, I will probably try to work during the day to build experience. I am confident that this will get my foot in the door in IT, but I am also expecting that I will probably need an MBA from a decent school to take my career to the next level.

Where I hope to be headed:
I fully expect that I will need to get in at least 2-3 years in my new career to be taken seriously anywhere and that I will need to retake the GMAT, boosting that quant score in particular. While I am getting my MS, is it more important to get job experience ASAP or to participate in extracurricular activities? Obviously, it would be ideal to do both, but which should be given priority?

There's another issue: the age factor. Because I twiddled around a bit after graduating college and after getting out of the Marine Corps, I will be 33 when I finish my MS, which will probably put me in the 35-36 region for an MBA. How much of a liability is that going to be? Am I consigned to regional schools for the rest of my life?

Thanks in advance,
Rose
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Late bloomer requests advice [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2007, 17:24
yellowrose wrote:
I'll start with where I stand right now:
BA in Music from Texas Lutheran University (I know, I know...)
UGPA: 3.8
GMAT: 690 overall, 42 V, 41 Q, 5.5 AWA
Work experience: 4 years USMC (enlisted), 2+ years National Guard, the rest really isn't worth mentioning

What's in the works:
I'm starting an MS in Information Technologies program in the fall at the University of North Texas. Since most of their classes are in the evenings, I will probably try to work during the day to build experience. I am confident that this will get my foot in the door in IT, but I am also expecting that I will probably need an MBA from a decent school to take my career to the next level.

Where I hope to be headed:
I fully expect that I will need to get in at least 2-3 years in my new career to be taken seriously anywhere and that I will need to retake the GMAT, boosting that quant score in particular. While I am getting my MS, is it more important to get job experience ASAP or to participate in extracurricular activities? Obviously, it would be ideal to do both, but which should be given priority?

There's another issue: the age factor. Because I twiddled around a bit after graduating college and after getting out of the Marine Corps, I will be 33 when I finish my MS, which will probably put me in the 35-36 region for an MBA. How much of a liability is that going to be? Am I consigned to regional schools for the rest of my life?

Thanks in advance,
Rose

Rose,

Given that you lack business experience, I would put higher priority on getting a good job while you pursue your master's rather than extracurriculars. Of course, strengthening both would be ideal. But your profile already seems distinctive (female, Marine, music) so you may want to concentrate on getting the good business experience rather than adding extracurriculars. Not sure you need to retake the GMAT. Your profile and GMAT are strong enough that you don't have to settle for a regional B-school but you are making it tougher on yourself by waiting until you're 35-36. That's definitely out of the middle 80% range of most B-schools. So if you think the MBA is really what you need you may want to reconsider the MS in IT and move up the B-school application process. B-schools value military backgrounds, especially when they show leadership.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Late bloomer requests advice [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2007, 19:22
pbodine wrote:
But your profile already seems distinctive (female, Marine, music) so you may want to concentrate on getting the good business experience rather than adding extracurriculars. <snip> B-schools value military backgrounds, especially when they show leadership.

See, that's what I thought, but apparently Texas A&M thought otherwise. And this from a self-professed military friendly school. But this isn't the "Rose Rants & Raves" forum, so I won't speak on that subject any further.

I will definitely try to gain all the work experience I can in this program. That will put me at a tender 34 when starting if I go the MBA route. ;-)

Thanks for the feedback,
Rose
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Late bloomer requests advice [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2007, 09:58
yellowrose wrote:
pbodine wrote:
But your profile already seems distinctive (female, Marine, music) so you may want to concentrate on getting the good business experience rather than adding extracurriculars. <snip> B-schools value military backgrounds, especially when they show leadership.

See, that's what I thought, but apparently Texas A&M thought otherwise. And this from a self-professed military friendly school. But this isn't the "Rose Rants & Raves" forum, so I won't speak on that subject any further.

I will definitely try to gain all the work experience I can in this program. That will put me at a tender 34 when starting if I go the MBA route. ;-)

Thanks for the feedback,
Rose

You're welcome and good luck.

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter