Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 10:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Late First Round or Early Second Round?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
WE 1: Strategy Consulting
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Late First Round or Early Second Round? [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 14:32
Hi everyone,

I'm applying to the top 10 schools and I figure to have everything ready by the beginning of October, which is the end of Round 1 deadlines. Also, I'm probably at the borderline of admission for those schools (3.1 GPA, 760 GMAT, 4 years consulting experience). My question is, would I be better off sending at the end of Round 1 or sending at the beginning of Round 2?

Thanks for any insight!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Late First Round or Early Second Round? [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 14:35
I don’t think it matters whether you’re at the beginning of the round or the end. If you can have your stuff together and done to the best of your ability by the R1 deadline, I’d apply then. If not, wait until R2.
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 323 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Late First Round or Early Second Round? [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 16:08
Expert's post
If the school you are applying to doesn't have rolling admissions, all of the applications gets reviewed pretty much after the deadline. As far as slots available in R1 and R2, they are very similar, so you'll have roughly equal chance of acceptance. The typical advice is to submit the applications when you think it's the best application you can present in the given time.

The advantage to applying in R1 is that you'll get feedback on your application process. So for example, you don't get interview invites, it may be a good time to either work harder on the remaining apps or apply for lower ranked schools. Alternatively, if you get invites to all of your R1 schools, you may want to consider applying to some reach schools.

Diversity

Intern
Intern
WE 1: Strategy Consulting

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Late First Round or Early Second Round? [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 16:13
asimov wrote:
If the school you are applying to doesn't have rolling admissions, all of the applications gets reviewed pretty much after the deadline. As far as slots available in R1 and R2, they are very similar, so you'll have roughly equal chance of acceptance. The typical advice is to submit the applications when you think it's the best application you can present in the given time.

The advantage to applying in R1 is that you'll get feedback on your application process. So for example, you don't get interview invites, it may be a good time to either work harder on the remaining apps or apply for lower ranked schools. Alternatively, if you get invites to all of your R1 schools, you may want to consider applying to some reach schools.

Thank you for your response. If a school does have rolling admissions, what impact do the rounds have? For instance, I am interested in applying to Columbia. I see that they have rolling admissions, but they also have rounds. What's the ideal method of attack in this case?
Current Student
Schools: Schulich class of 2012
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 2

Re: Late First Round or Early Second Round? [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 17:39
The ideal method of attack is applying as early as possible. There is way less applicants in R1 for any school. Rolling admissions only sweeten the pot, because a bunch of Steve Jobs could have been in your round while the next one is filled with lackluster candidates. Think of it as 4 chances to apply as opposed to 3.
Re: Late First Round or Early Second Round?   [#permalink] 08 Sep 2010, 17:39