Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 06:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Laura has a deck of standard playing cards with 13 of the 52

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 590 Q48 V24
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 124

Laura has a deck of standard playing cards with 13 of the 52 [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2009, 21:28
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (09:53) correct 34% (01:20) wrong based on 163 sessions
Laura has a deck of standard playing cards with 13 of the 52 cards designated as a "heart." If Laura shuffles the deck thoroughly and then deals 10 cards off the top of the deck, what is the probability that the 10th card dealt is a heart?

(A) 1/4
(B) 1/5
(C) 5/26
(D) 12/42
(E) 13/42
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 28 Nov 2012, 02:27, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
9 KUDOS received
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 709 [9] , given: 3

Re: Probability: Playing Cards [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 02:13
This post received
KUDOS
Every card has a 13/52 = 1/4 chance of being a heart; it doesn't matter if it's the top card in the deck or the tenth card in the deck.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 590 Q48 V24
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 124

Re: Probability: Playing Cards [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 05:47
Thank you Ian,
You and Bunuel make math problems sound so simple. Kudos.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Babson '14
GMAT Date: 02-28-2013
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 56

Re: Probability: Playing Cards [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2012, 13:05
and then deals 10 cards off the top of the deck, what is the probability that the 10th card dealt is a heart?

WHAT does this statement implies that 10 cards are withdrawn with replacement or without replacement ??
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3609

Kudos [?]: 28830 [1] , given: 2853

Re: Probability: Playing Cards [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 03:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
himanshuhpr wrote:
and then deals 10 cards off the top of the deck, what is the probability that the 10th card dealt is a heart?

WHAT does this statement implies that 10 cards are withdrawn with replacement or without replacement ??

No replacement there, 10 cards are dealt and we are asked to find the probability that 10th card is a heart.

Similar questions to practice:
a-certain-team-has-12-members-including-joey-a-three-131321.html
a-certain-television-show-has-15-sponsors-including-company-127423.html
a-medical-researcher-must-choose-one-of-14-patients-to-127396.html
a-certain-class-consists-of-8-students-including-kim-127730.html
a-certain-club-has-10-members-including-harry-one-of-the-134891.html

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Schools: Babson '14
GMAT Date: 02-28-2013

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 56

Re: Probability: Playing Cards [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 07:30
Bunuel wrote:
himanshuhpr wrote:

No replacement there, 10 cards are dealt and we are asked to find the probability that 10th card is a heart.

If there is no replacement then how is the (P) that the 10th card is 13/52 ??

there are many cases here to be considered here if there is no replacement such as:

H- Denotes heart X-may be any diamond, spade or club.

1. HXXXXXXXXH
2. HHXXXXXXXH
3. HHHXXXXXXH
9. HHHHHHHHHH
10. XXXXXXXXXH

All cases from 1 to 10 will have different probabilities for heart to be at the 10th place and it will take hell lot of time to calculate all of them.

For according to me the above solution by Ian is only valid if cards are replaced (Every card has a 13/52 = 1/4 chance of being a heart; it doesn't matter if it's the top card in the deck or the tenth card in the deck.)If that's the case that brings back me to my original question ---- how do we determine that the cards are replaced or not ?? based on the question given ....
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3609

Kudos [?]: 28830 [1] , given: 2853

Re: Probability: Playing Cards [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 03:51
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
himanshuhpr wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
himanshuhpr wrote:

If there is no replacement then how is the (P) that the 10th card is 13/52 ??

there are many cases here to be considered here if there is no replacement such as:

H- Denotes heart X-may be any diamond, spade or club.

1. HXXXXXXXXH
2. HHXXXXXXXH
3. HHHXXXXXXH
9. HHHHHHHHHH
10. XXXXXXXXXH

All cases from 1 to 10 will have different probabilities for heart to be at the 10th place and it will take hell lot of time to calculate all of them.

For according to me the above solution by Ian is only valid if cards are replaced (Every card has a 13/52 = 1/4 chance of being a heart; it doesn't matter if it's the top card in the deck or the tenth card in the deck.)If that's the case that brings back me to my original question ---- how do we determine that the cards are replaced or not ?? based on the question given ....

When we have a case with replacement it's always clearly mentioned in the question. We are told that "Laura deals 10 cards off the top of the deck", which means that there is no replacement whatsoever.

As for the question, concept behind it is discussed in the topics given in my previous post.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 129

Re: Laura has a deck of standard playing cards with 13 of the 52 [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2013, 09:52
ctrlaltdel wrote:
Laura has a deck of standard playing cards with 13 of the 52 cards designated as a "heart." If Laura shuffles the deck thoroughly and then deals 10 cards off the top of the deck, what is the probability that the 10th card dealt is a heart?

Hi! I went through all the similar problems provided by Bunuel and was able to understand and solve them. However, I am still not able to get why this is not an arrangement problem. Why do we need to ignore the number 10? Bunuel/Karishma, kindly elaborate.

I solved the question using reverse probability: 1- P(10th is not heart) = 1- (3*13)/52 = 1/4.
Re: Laura has a deck of standard playing cards with 13 of the 52   [#permalink] 22 Sep 2013, 09:52