Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:24 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 693 [71]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q51  V50
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618875 [37]
Given Kudos: 81589
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [9]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1454 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Inequalities [#permalink]
Kudos
It feels like a total trap, especially with that inequality. I want to say E soooo bad...but with the inequality it's gotta be C somehow.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1510 [0]
Send PM
kevincan wrote:
Laura sells encyclopaedias, and her monthly income has two components, a fixed component of $1000, and a variable component of $C for each set of encyclopaedias that she sells in that month over a sales target of n sets, where n>0. How much did she earn in March?

(1) If Laura had sold three fewer sets in March, her income for that month would have been $600 lower than it was.
(2) If Laura had sold 10 sets of encyclopaedias in March, her income for that month would have been over $4000.

These conditions don't fit with each other

The best case scenario for Laura is n = 1, her base minimum sale. So according to the statement 2, she made $1000 base salary and over $3000 for the 9 additional books that she sold. That would make her average commission on each additional book at more than $334/book.

Statement 1 (and 2 together), it says that the average commission for sold books #8, 9, 10 is only $200/book.

So it appears that (up to a certain number of books) the more books laura sells, the lesser her commission rate per book. Her commission rate depends on the exact number of books she sells, and that rate is not given.

I vote for E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Concentration: International Business
Schools:ISB, HBS, LSB, Johnson
Send PM
Great trap....Nice one.....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
I'm with Bunuel on this one, I did something similar.

BTW Bunuel if you don't mind sharing, what did you get on the GMAT (or specifically on the quant section)?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 944 [1]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
kevincan wrote:
Laura sells encyclopaedias, and her monthly income has two components, a fixed component of $1000, and a variable component of $C for each set of encyclopaedias that she sells in that month over a sales target of n sets, where n>0. How much did she earn in March?

(1) If Laura had sold three fewer sets in March, her income for that month would have been $600 lower than it was.
(2) If Laura had sold 10 sets of encyclopaedias in March, her income for that month would have been over $4000.

This is very good question, +1. And I think answer is not E, it's C.

Laura's income \(I=1000+c(s-n)\), where \(s\) is number of sets she sold and \(n\) is target number (\(s-n\leq{0}\) --> \(I=1000\)).

(1) Three cases:
\(s-n=1\) --> \(c=600\) (surplus of 600$ was generated by 1 set);
\(s-n=2\) --> \(c=300\) (surplus of 600$ was generated by 2 set);
\(s-n\geq3\) --> \(c=200\) (surplus of 600$ was generated by 3 set).

Bunuel.... not too clear so as to why you consider 3 cases here. In the S1 one (highlighted part in red) it clearly states that the Laura did sell 3 fewer sets. So if Laura previous sold S sets... as per statement one, it should be S-3 only.... why do you consider.... 3 or less than 3 sets! The statement doesn't say this at all! Please comment.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618875 [5]
Given Kudos: 81589
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
jeeteshsingh wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
kevincan wrote:

This is very good question, +1. And I think answer is not E, it's C.

Laura's income \(I=1000+c(s-n)\), where \(s\) is number of sets she sold and \(n\) is target number (\(s-n\leq{0}\) --> \(I=1000\)).

(1) Three cases:
\(s-n=1\) --> \(c=600\) (surplus of 600$ was generated by 1 set);
\(s-n=2\) --> \(c=300\) (surplus of 600$ was generated by 2 set);
\(s-n\geq3\) --> \(c=200\) (surplus of 600$ was generated by 3 set).

Bunuel.... not too clear so as to why you consider 3 cases here. In the S1 one (highlighted part in red) it clearly states that the Laura did sell 3 fewer sets. So if Laura previous sold S sets... as per statement one, it should be S-3 only.... why do you consider.... 3 or less than 3 sets! The statement doesn't say this at all! Please comment.

"If Laura had sold three fewer sets in March..." --> Laura sold \(s\) and had \(income=I\), but if she had sold \(s-3\) then her income would have been \(I-600\).

Now:
If \(s\) is 1 more than \(n\) (or as I wrote \(s-n=1\)), then it would mean that 600$ was generated by only 1 set;
If \(s\) is 2 more than \(n\) (or as I wrote \(s-n=2\)), then it would mean that 600$ was generated by 2 sets;
If \(s\) is more than 3 more than \(n\) (or as I wrote \(s-n\geq3\)), then it would mean that 600$ was generated by all 3 sets;

In first two cases income for March will be 1600$, BUT for third case income can be 1600$ or more. So this statement is not sufficient.

Hope it's clear.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8532 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
i completely agree with Bunuel's explanation.

I actually had this question wrong, and would appreciate some comments on my approach:

Laura's income was: I=1000+c(s-n)

If she had sold 3 fewer set, that is s'=s-3, she would have earned 600$ less, that is I'=I-600.

Putting this words in a formula, we have:

I'=1000+c(s-3-n)=1000+c(s-n)-600

From here you can easily obtain that c=200, so I dont know neither n nor s, so I dont know I, so therefore A is out.

B) same as Bunuel: c>3000/10-n Not sufficient

(A)+(B) Since c=200, I can substitute above and I obtain that n<-5, which makes no sense and I therefore chose E.

Any thoughts on my approach?

Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
I agree that the answer should be C. Very tricky question as I wanted to pick E at first. Same train of thought as Bunuel.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Concentration: finance
Schools:INSEAD, RSM, HEC, St. Gallen, IF, IESE
 Q48  V31
WE 1: Finance 6 years
Send PM
I got the same answer C. Tricky Q.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Laura sells encyclopaedias, and her monthly income has two [#permalink]
Kudos
After I spent 45 min at midnight - I got the answer and agree with Bunuel that the correct ans is C .

Let me simplify the trap . The trap is we don’t know the threshold -n . Hence selling 3 fewer sets does not readily translate in distribution of 600 into 3 sets .

Say if the threshold is 10 and the no. of sale were 11 , the extra variable contribution is actually coming from 1 set . So even if we sell 3 fewer sets the less income of 600 is actually because of one set . On the other hand if the threshold is 10 and the initial sale were 12 - selling 3 fewer sets ->corresponding reduction in variable part will be because of 2 sets .
Hope this will clarify the future reader!

Thanks,
VCG
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 165 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Wow! a trap question.

1. 1000 + (t-n-3))c = 1000 + (t-n)c - 600, gives us c. However, we don't even know if the 3 insufficient is below n. insuff.
2. 1000 + (10-n)c >= 4000, clearly insuff since we don't know n and c

The S2 ineq makes things complicated to provide a clear soution. Guess is E.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
WE:Marketing (Other)
Send PM
Definitely C; nice explanation by Bunuel.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Send PM
Hi all,

I would be grateful if you could pls tell answer my query. I totally understand Buneul's approach but i wanted to ask, why is it done that ways?as in why do we have to take three cases? why cant we do it like the question says her income would be equal to 1000+c(s-n)

as per statement 1:
assuming the no of sets she sold in march as M the equation of net income turns out to be as
--> 1000 + c(M-n) - [1000 + c(M-3-n)]=600
=>3c=600
=>c=200

which doesnt seem sufficient to estimate her sales in March Hence insufficient.

As per statement 2:
1000 + c(10-n)>4000

again insufficient

Using both statemnt 1 &2 we get value of n as < -5, which is invalid as per given conditions. Hence answer is E

kindly tell me where i m going wrong in this approach!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Send PM
oh god YES!! you are absolutely right!!
perfect.. thank u sooo much..

God Bless :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [5]