Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 05:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Laura sells encyclopaedias, and her monthly income has two

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
12 KUDOS received
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 120 [12] , given: 0

Laura sells encyclopaedias, and her monthly income has two [#permalink] New post 29 May 2008, 12:54
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

32% (03:12) correct 68% (02:08) wrong based on 320 sessions
Laura sells encyclopaedias, and her monthly income has two components, a fixed component of $1000, and a variable component of $C for each set of encyclopaedias that she sells in that month over a sales target of n sets, where n>0. How much did she earn in March?

(1) If Laura had sold three fewer sets in March, her income for that month would have been $600 lower than it was.
(2) If Laura had sold 10 sets of encyclopaedias in March, her income for that month would have been over $4000.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
CEO
CEO
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 430 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: Inequalities [#permalink] New post 29 May 2008, 18:17
Smells like an E trap... I'll come back to this one after lunch.

+1 for good question kevincan.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Inequalities [#permalink] New post 29 May 2008, 19:10
It feels like a total trap, especially with that inequality. I want to say E soooo bad...but with the inequality it's gotta be C somehow.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Inequalities [#permalink] New post 29 May 2008, 19:32
kevincan wrote:
Laura sells encyclopaedias, and her monthly income has two components, a fixed component of $1000, and a variable component of $C for each set of encyclopaedias that she sells in that month over a sales target of n sets, where n>0. How much did she earn in March?

(1) If Laura had sold three fewer sets in March, her income for that month would have been $600 lower than it was.
(2) If Laura had sold 10 sets of encyclopaedias in March, her income for that month would have been over $4000.

These conditions don't fit with each other

The best case scenario for Laura is n = 1, her base minimum sale. So according to the statement 2, she made $1000 base salary and over $3000 for the 9 additional books that she sold. That would make her average commission on each additional book at more than $334/book.

Statement 1 (and 2 together), it says that the average commission for sold books #8, 9, 10 is only $200/book.

So it appears that (up to a certain number of books) the more books laura sells, the lesser her commission rate per book. Her commission rate depends on the exact number of books she sells, and that rate is not given.

I vote for E
Expert Post
13 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3374

Kudos [?]: 24570 [13] , given: 2680

Re: Inequalities [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2010, 07:24
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
kevincan wrote:

This is very good question, +1. And I think answer is not E, it's C.

Laura's income I=1000+c(s-n), where s is number of sets she sold and n is target number (s-n\leq{0} --> I=1000).

(1) Three cases:
s-n=1 --> c=600 (surplus of 600$ was generated by 1 set);
s-n=2 --> c=300 (surplus of 600$ was generated by 2 set);
s-n\geq3 --> c=200 (surplus of 600$ was generated by 3 set).

If s-n equals to 1, 2, or 3, then income for March will be 1600$, BUT if s-n>3, then income will be more then 1600. Or another way: if we knew that c=300 or 600, then we couldd definitely say that I=1600 BUT if c=200, then I=1600 (for s-n=3) or more (for s-n>3). Not sufficient.

(2) 1000+c(10-n)>4000 --> c>\frac{3000}{10-n} --> 0<n<10 --> as the lowest value of n=1, then c>333.(3). Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) as from (2) c>333.(3), then from (1) c=600 --> I=1600. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Inequalities [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2010, 22:12
what is the OA and source
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB, HBS, LSB, Johnson
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Inequalities [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2010, 02:14
Great trap....Nice one.....
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 13

Re: Inequalities [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2010, 02:47
I'm with Bunuel on this one, I did something similar.

BTW Bunuel if you don't mind sharing, what did you get on the GMAT (or specifically on the quant section)?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Inequalities [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2010, 02:23
Bunuel wrote:
kevincan wrote:

Laura's income I=1000+c(s-n), where s is number of sets she sold and n is target number (s-n\leq{0} --> I=1000).

(1) Three cases:

Bunuel.... not too clear so as to why you consider 3 cases here. In the S1 one (highlighted part in red) it clearly states that the Laura did sell 3 fewer sets. So if Laura previous sold S sets... as per statement one, it should be S-3 only.... why do you consider.... 3 or less than 3 sets! The statement doesn't say this at all! Please comment.

Cheers!
JT...........
If u like my post..... payback in Kudos!! :beer

|Do not post questions with OA|Please underline your SC questions while posting|Try posting the explanation along with your answer choice|
|For CR refer Powerscore CR Bible|For SC refer Manhattan SC Guide|

~~Better Burn Out... Than Fade Away~~

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3374

Kudos [?]: 24570 [1] , given: 2680

Re: Inequalities [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2010, 10:19
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
jeeteshsingh wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
kevincan wrote:

(1) Three cases:

Bunuel.... not too clear so as to why you consider 3 cases here. In the S1 one (highlighted part in red) it clearly states that the Laura did sell 3 fewer sets. So if Laura previous sold S sets... as per statement one, it should be S-3 only.... why do you consider.... 3 or less than 3 sets! The statement doesn't say this at all! Please comment.

"If Laura had sold three fewer sets in March..." --> Laura sold s and had income=I, but if she had sold s-3 then her income would have been I-600.

Now:
If s is 1 more than n (or as I wrote s-n=1), then it would mean that 600$ was generated by only 1 set;
If s is 2 more than n (or as I wrote s-n=2), then it would mean that 600$ was generated by 2 sets;
If s is more than 3 more than n (or as I wrote s-n\geq3), then it would mean that 600$ was generated by all 3 sets;

In first two cases income for March will be 1600$, BUT for third case income can be 1600$ or more. So this statement is not sufficient.

Hope it's clear.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 221 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Inequalities [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2010, 04:49
i completely agree with Bunuel's explanation.

I actually had this question wrong, and would appreciate some comments on my approach:

Laura's income was: I=1000+c(s-n)

If she had sold 3 fewer set, that is s'=s-3, she would have earned 600$ less, that is I'=I-600.

Putting this words in a formula, we have:

I'=1000+c(s-3-n)=1000+c(s-n)-600

From here you can easily obtain that c=200, so I dont know neither n nor s, so I dont know I, so therefore A is out.

B) same as Bunuel: c>3000/10-n Not sufficient

(A)+(B) Since c=200, I can substitute above and I obtain that n<-5, which makes no sense and I therefore chose E.

Any thoughts on my approach?

Thanks in advance!

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.13
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Inequalities [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2010, 05:34
I had the same issue as SVP and chose E

Go Blue!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Inequalities [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2010, 18:37
I agree that the answer should be C. Very tricky question as I wanted to pick E at first. Same train of thought as Bunuel.
Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD, RSM, HEC, St. Gallen, IF, IESE
WE 1: Finance 6 years
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Inequalities [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2010, 05:13
I got the same answer C. Tricky Q.

In The World Full Of Duplicates,, I Am The Only Masterpiece..
Girl Power
beat-the-beast-with-non-native-speaker-108349.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: Laura sells encyclopaedias, and her monthly income has two [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2012, 10:05
After I spent 45 min at midnight - I got the answer and agree with Bunuel that the correct ans is C .

Let me simplify the trap . The trap is we don’t know the threshold -n . Hence selling 3 fewer sets does not readily translate in distribution of 600 into 3 sets .

Say if the threshold is 10 and the no. of sale were 11 , the extra variable contribution is actually coming from 1 set . So even if we sell 3 fewer sets the less income of 600 is actually because of one set . On the other hand if the threshold is 10 and the initial sale were 12 - selling 3 fewer sets ->corresponding reduction in variable part will be because of 2 sets .
Hope this will clarify the future reader!

Thanks,
VCG
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Laura sells encyclopaedias, and her monthly income has two [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2012, 10:47
Wow! a trap question.

1. 1000 + (t-n-3))c = 1000 + (t-n)c - 600, gives us c. However, we don't even know if the 3 insufficient is below n. insuff.
2. 1000 + (10-n)c >= 4000, clearly insuff since we don't know n and c

The S2 ineq makes things complicated to provide a clear soution. Guess is E.

I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul.
Please consider giving +1 Kudos if deserved!

DS - If negative answer only, still sufficient. No need to find exact solution.
PS - Always look at the answers first
CR - Read the question stem first, hunt for conclusion
SC - Meaning first, Grammar second
RC - Mentally connect paragraphs as you proceed. Short = 2min, Long = 3-4 min

Intern
Intern
WE: Marketing (Other)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Laura sells encyclopaedias, and her monthly income has two [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2012, 11:03
Definitely C; nice explanation by Bunuel.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 67

Re: Laura sells encyclopaedias, and her monthly income has two [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2013, 22:26
Hi all,

I would be grateful if you could pls tell answer my query. I totally understand Buneul's approach but i wanted to ask, why is it done that ways?as in why do we have to take three cases? why cant we do it like the question says her income would be equal to 1000+c(s-n)

as per statement 1:
assuming the no of sets she sold in march as M the equation of net income turns out to be as
--> 1000 + c(M-n) - [1000 + c(M-3-n)]=600
=>3c=600
=>c=200

which doesnt seem sufficient to estimate her sales in March Hence insufficient.

As per statement 2:
1000 + c(10-n)>4000

again insufficient

Using both statemnt 1 &2 we get value of n as < -5, which is invalid as per given conditions. Hence answer is E

kindly tell me where i m going wrong in this approach!
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE: Education (Education)

Kudos [?]: 66 [3] , given: 3

Re: Laura sells encyclopaedias, and her monthly income has two [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 19:17
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Swarman,

There are two things wrong with this method.

Firstly, when you combine both the statements together, you get the value of n t be less than -5. However, we know that n denotes the number of set of books and thus, cannot be negative. So, the answer does not stand. However, what this negative value does tell you is that the value of c is not 200.

Secondly, while evaluating the first statement you got c=200 because you considered all three sets of encyclopedias to be above the sales target of n sets. However, there are three possibilities.

1. All three of them are above the sales target in which case 3c=600 implying c=200
2. Two of them are above the sales target in which case 2c=600 implying c=300
3. Only one of them is above the sales target in which case c=600

Since, one is already proved to be wrong, the answer has to be one out of 2 and 3. Substituting c=300 in the statement 2 gives us a value of n=0. Hence, not possible.
The answer is the c=600 and hence we need to use this value to work further with this problem.

Hope this helped! Let me know in case of any further doubts/concerns.

swarman wrote:
Hi all,

I would be grateful if you could pls tell answer my query. I totally understand Buneul's approach but i wanted to ask, why is it done that ways?as in why do we have to take three cases? why cant we do it like the question says her income would be equal to 1000+c(s-n)

as per statement 1:
assuming the no of sets she sold in march as M the equation of net income turns out to be as
--> 1000 + c(M-n) - [1000 + c(M-3-n)]=600
=>3c=600
=>c=200

which doesnt seem sufficient to estimate her sales in March Hence insufficient.

As per statement 2:
1000 + c(10-n)>4000

again insufficient

Using both statemnt 1 &2 we get value of n as < -5, which is invalid as per given conditions. Hence answer is E

kindly tell me where i m going wrong in this approach!

Thanks
Kris
Instructor at Aspire4GMAT

Visit us at http://www.aspire4gmat.com

Post your queries
Join our free GMAT course

New blog: How to get that 700+
New blog: Data Sufficiency Tricks

Press Kudos if this helps!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 67

Re: Laura sells encyclopaedias, and her monthly income has two [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 09:05
oh god YES!! you are absolutely right!!
perfect.. thank u sooo much..

God Bless :)
Re: Laura sells encyclopaedias, and her monthly income has two   [#permalink] 28 Feb 2013, 09:05