Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Nov 2014, 21:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Law firms and other professional services groups, academic

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Law firms and other professional services groups, academic [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2007, 19:33
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:02) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
Law firms and other professional services groups, academic institutions, and research divisions often have informal talent marketplaces where senior employees strive to identify the best employees junior to them and the junior employees compete for the assignments that they find most attractive. a) where senior employees strive to identify the best employees junior to them and the junior employees compete for the assignments that they find most attractive
b) in which senior employees strive and identify the best junior employees and the junior employees compete for the assignments that they find most attractive
c) where senior employees strive to identify the best junior employees and the best junior employees compete for the most attractive assignments
d) that enable senior employees to strive and identify the best junior employees and the best junior employees compete for the most attractive assignments
e) in which senior employees strive to identify the best junior employees and the best junior employees compete for the most attractive assignments
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2007, 20:30
I think A is fine.

As far as i know...the use of "which" in GMAT always requires a "comma" before it .

If there are exceptions then please share.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Talent Marketplaces [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2007, 21:36
iamba wrote:
Law firms and other professional services groups, academic institutions, and research divisions often have informal talent marketplaces where senior employees strive to identify the best employees junior to them and the junior employees compete for the assignments that they find most attractive. a) where senior employees strive to identify the best employees junior to them and the junior employees compete for the assignments that they find most attractive
b) in which senior employees strive and identify the best junior employees and the junior employees compete for the assignments that they find most attractive
c) where senior employees strive to identify the best junior employees and the best junior employees compete for the most attractive assignments CORRECT, most concise
d) that enable senior employees to strive and identify the best junior employees and the best junior employees compete for the most attractive assignments
e) in which senior employees strive to identify the best junior employees and the best junior employees compete for the most attractive assignments

My answer is C.. not sure if E is too passive.. any other input?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: SC - Talent Marketplaces [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2007, 21:41
I didnt pick C because it says "
the best junior employees compete for the most attractive "

I dont think it says anywhere in the original sentence that only the "Best Junior" employees compete...i took that as a change in the meaning.

beckee529 wrote:
iamba wrote:
c) where senior employees strive to identify the best junior employees and the best junior employees compete for the most attractive assignments CORRECT, most concise

:? :?
Director
Director

Re: SC - Talent Marketplaces [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2007, 21:43
empty_spaces wrote:
I didnt pick C because it says "
the best junior employees compete for the most attractive "

I dont think it says anywhere in the original sentence that only the "Best Junior" employees compete...i took that as a change in the meaning.

beckee529 wrote:
iamba wrote:

:? :?

Ahhh good catch.. didn't see that one :oops:
CEO
CEO
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 274 [0], given: 4

[#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2007, 21:45
empty_spaces wrote:
I think A is fine.

As far as i know...the use of "which" in GMAT always requires a "comma" before it .

there are lots of exceptions. which is always preceeded by a comma if it is starting a nonrestrictive clause. anyone that scores about 700 needs to know which is a pronoun.

of which
through which
under which
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2007, 21:51
thanks Bmwhype....You got a list of any more such exceptions/rules for SC ?

bmwhype2 wrote:
empty_spaces wrote:
I think A is fine.

there are lots of exceptions. which is always preceeded by a comma if it is starting a nonrestrictive clause. anyone that scores about 700 needs to know which is a pronoun.

of which
through which
under which
CEO
CEO
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 274 [0], given: 4

[#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2007, 22:34
empty_spaces wrote:
thanks Bmwhype....You got a list of any more such exceptions/rules for SC ?

bmwhype2 wrote:
empty_spaces wrote:
I think A is fine.

of which
through which
under which

there are too many to list. you just have to pick apart sentences and ask why the sentence is structured the way it is.
Director
Director

Re: SC - Talent Marketplaces [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2007, 22:50
iamba wrote:
c) where senior employees strive to identify the best junior employees and the best junior employees compete for the most attractive assignments

so what is the official answer? :)
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Talent Marketplaces [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2007, 04:35
iamba wrote:

I believe C is correct after zeroing on to A and C because of 'where'. Since Market place is a location, 'where' is more suitable than "which" or "in which" atleast in this sentence.
C is more precise and clear when in the later part of sentence when it says : "the best junior employees compete for the most attractive assignments". A also says the same thing but with more words..

Hence C.

wht's OA ?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2007, 05:27
Will go for C..

Which is used only to refer to things/objects, events or unnamed animals (source:OG) and where is used to refer Places. Here "Marketplace" is a virtual place and hence I prefer "Where",...

So C
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2007, 17:19
I had picked C too, but OA is E

This question uses the incorrect pronoun "where" to refer to "informal talent marketplaces." "Where" is used to refer to physical locations, but the "talent marketplaces" are a metaphorical construct, not an actual geographical location. In this case, "in which" is the appropriate construction. The original answer choice also utilizes unnecessary turns of phrase in its use of “best employees junior to them,” as well as “assignments that they find most attractive,” both of which use excessive language and could be expressed more succinctly.

(A) This choice is incorrect as it repeats the original sentence.

(B) This choice correctly changes "where" to "in which" but incorrectly uses the conjunction “and” between the terms “strive” and “identify,” suggesting that the two terms denote two distinct activities, as opposed to the intended single activity of identifying the best junior employees. Also, “assignments that they find most attractive” are unnecessarily wordy.

(C) This answer repeats the original pronoun error ("where").

(D) This choice incorrectly uses the conjunction “and” between the terms “strive” and “identify,” suggesting that the two terms denote two distinct activities, as opposed to the intended single activity of identifying the best junior employees.

(E) This choice correctly changes "where" to "in which" and also rephrases the sentence more concisely ("best junior employees"; "most attractive assignments").
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2007, 18:53
iamba wrote:
I had picked C too, but OA is E

This question uses the incorrect pronoun "where" to refer to "informal talent marketplaces." "Where" is used to refer to physical locations, but the "talent marketplaces" are a metaphorical construct, not an actual geographical location. In this case, "in which" is the appropriate construction. The original answer choice also utilizes unnecessary turns of phrase in its use of “best employees junior to them,” as well as “assignments that they find most attractive,” both of which use excessive language and could be expressed more succinctly.

Good question. The use of "where" in C got me too. I debated between C and E for a minute before I chose C. :roll:

Last edited by gluon on 29 Jul 2007, 18:55, edited 1 time in total.
  [#permalink] 29 Jul 2007, 18:53