Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:35 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31933 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
RC & DI Moderator
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [0]
Re: Lawrence County has seven county run hospitals. [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Dear chetan2u,

My friend, I appreciate your diligence in researching this. I would just caution you: remember that dictionaries are very good at discussing the meaning of an individual word or term in isolation, but the what we really can't understand from a dictionary are the nuances of context. Meaning happens in context, and the GMAT SC is all about contextual meaning.

The term "at risk" takes its precise meaning from the context. If the topic is a particular disease or a particular natural disaster, then the risk is thereby specified. In the context of hospitals and no mention of a particular disease, "at risk" includes the likelihood of death, one of the meanings suggested in the OED, and the "most at-risk patients throughout the county" refers to those patients in the county who are most likely to die. By "high probability," I simply meant: higher probability than that of other folks in the county, as specified by the wording of choice (D). Context.

I point out that the NYT article you found was a very different context: a discussion of people who are out there in the world looking for insurance. Those people may not have ideal health, but they are functioning and able to go about their days. That's extremely different from the context of discussing who gets brought to a county hospital. Walking around in the world, calling insurance agencies about pre-existing conditions---that's one kind of "at risk." Being checked in to a hospital---that's a completely different kind of "at risk." That's gritty and real, and the dictionary is not going to give you that kind of understanding. Context is everything!

You appear to be looking for a literal link to something that is evident from context. My friend, the GMAT will punish rigid literalism time and time again, nor will this approach be successful in the modern business world where, again, context is everything.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
RC & DI Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
mikemcgarry wrote:
Dear chetan2u,

My friend, I appreciate your diligence in researching this. I would just caution you: remember that dictionaries are very good at discussing the meaning of an individual word or term in isolation, but the what we really can't understand from a dictionary are the nuances of context. Meaning happens in context, and the GMAT SC is all about contextual meaning.

The term "at risk" takes its precise meaning from the context. If the topic is a particular disease or a particular natural disaster, then the risk is thereby specified. In the context of hospitals and no mention of a particular disease, "at risk" includes the likelihood of death, one of the meanings suggested in the OED, and the "most at-risk patients throughout the county" refers to those patients in the county who are most likely to die. By "high probability," I simply meant: higher probability than that of other folks in the county, as specified by the wording of choice (D). Context.

I point out that the NYT article you found was a very different context: a discussion of people who are out there in the world looking for insurance. Those people may not have ideal health, but they are functioning and able to go about their days. That's extremely different from the context of discussing who gets brought to a county hospital. Walking around in the world, calling insurance agencies about pre-existing conditions---that's one kind of "at risk." Being checked in to a hospital---that's a completely different kind of "at risk." That's gritty and real, and the dictionary is not going to give you that kind of understanding. Context is everything!

You appear to be looking for a literal link to something that is evident from context. My friend, the GMAT will punish rigid literalism time and time again, nor will this approach be successful in the modern business world where, again, context is everything.

Hi mike,
Neither I am looking for literal links nor being stubborn.
I have gone through few of your SC explanations and they are great but the assumptions or the fact that have been used must have global recognition os atleast its usage in medical parlance must be beyond doubt....
I am not talking of just the dictionaries but also talking of the discussions on this word...
I did not see the meaning "at risk" as highly likely of losing life, meaning that if 10 person "at risk" come to a hospital, atleast 7-8 are likely will lose their life.
Because that is what your reasoning stands on..
Won't ask for much but if there are any articles which give credence to this reasoning that if 10 person "at risk" come to a hospital, atleast 7-8 are likely will lose their life.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [0]
Lawrence County has seven county run hospitals. [#permalink]
Expert Reply
chetan2u wrote:
Hi mike,
Neither I am looking for literal links nor being stubborn.
I have gone through few of your SC explanations and they are great but the assumptions or the fact that have been used must have global recognition os atleast its usage in medical parlance must be beyond doubt....
I am not talking of just the dictionaries but also talking of the discussions on this word...
I did not see the meaning "at risk" as highly likely of losing life, meaning that if 10 person "at risk" come to a hospital, atleast 7-8 are likely will lose their life.
Because that is what your reasoning stands on..
Won't ask for much but if there are any articles which give credence to this reasoning that if 10 person "at risk" come to a hospital, atleast 7-8 are likely will lose their life.

Dear chetan2u,
My friend, I will begin by saying that I genuine appreciate the intelligence and authenticity with which you are diving into this question.

With all due respect, I think you are distorting my position a bit. You suggested the statement:
If 10 person "at risk" come to a hospital, at least 7-8 will lose their life.
I find that statement patently absurd. This is not my contention and not a necessary assumption of my position.

I will try to explain my position in another way.

Right now, this very day . . .
There is a certain probability that I will catch a cold.
There is a certain probability that I will break a bone.
There is a certain probability that I will require major surgery.
There is a certain probability that I will require an amputation.
There is a certain probability that I will be permanently incapacitated.
There is a certain probability that I will that I will die.
Imagine this long list of probabilities, these and other bad things. There is one long list of numerical probabilities for me. All the probabilities have different numerical values for you, and still different values for each other person on the planet. Presumably many of these probabilities are relatively small.

At this writing, I am not "at risk" in any sense of the word, but there is a small probability that today will be my last day alive on this planet. The same is true of you and of each living being. Each one of us has some probability of dying today. Folks like to pretend that this probability is zero, but it's not. Even young and healthy people die every single day. The folks who make actuarial tables for insurance companies know this well.

Now, if I become "at risk" in any way --- get a cold, get cancer, get in an auto accident, etc., then most of the probabilities of bad things increase: they all become at least marginally more likely. Similarly, with you or with anyone else. Being "at risk" increases the likelihood of a number of bad things. It's inherently a statement about probabilities. Say when I am healthy, my chance of dying today is 1/100,000. Let's say that when I get a common cold, my chance of dying today is 1/10,000 ---- still very low, but now ten times more likely! You see, mathematically, it's perfectly possible even for a common cold to make death ten times more likely, even those the risk of dying is relatively low. Any increase in probability means "more likely."

In some sense, everyone going to a hospital for something is already "at risk." When we look at one group of people going to the hospital and call that particularly group "at risk" compared to other people going to the hospital, then we are saying that these people are "more at risk" --- in other words, all the probabilities of all the bad things will go up more. They are more "at risk" because there are additional risk factors, additional factors that increase the probabilities of bad things, however slightly.

Consider two groups of people. Group #1 are all the people who woke up this morning not "at risk" in any significant way, but something happened to them in the course of the day such that they had to go to the hospital. For example, this would be the 100% healthy person who is in a car accident. These are the people going to the hospital who are in the "not at risk" group.

Group #2 are the people who, when they woke up this morning, were already "at risk" in any of the meanings this word can have --- living in poverty, or malnourished, or already have a disease, or very old, or etc. They were "at risk" already, and for whatever reason, either a worsening of their condition or a new bad thing, they wound up in the hospital. For example, this the person who already has cancer or diabetes or HIV or something, and then is in a car accident. These are the people going to the hospital who are "at risk."

It's a scientific and undeniable fact that some people in each group will die during the course of this trip to the hospital; this would depend on the severity of the accident or injury or sickness that put them in the hospital. Just given the typical random variation in severity of accidents, severity of injuries, etc. we absolutely know that some people in each group will die every day. All I'm saying is that people in Group #2 will be more likely to die than those in Group #1. All I'm doing is making a statement about relative values of probabilities. It is not that "at risk" inherently means that death is imminent. It simply is the statement that "at risk" increases the probabilities of various bad things happening, including the probability of death happening. Since we are presumably dealing with a large sample, all the people who go to the hospital, we will see these probabilities play out statistically. In the group with a higher probability of death, more people will die. That's just how probability works.

Simplify it even further. Suppose we look at 100 healthy people who get in a car accident, and 100 people who already have cancer and are being treated for it, who then get in a car accident. Assume that the severity of car accidents is randomly distributed, and that the distribution is approximate the same for both groups. For the folks who are minor fender benders, probably almost everyone in both groups would survive. In the worst crashes, passengers killed instantly, being "at risk" before the crash wouldn't matter---everyone would die, irrespective of prior health. Then there's the in-between severity, enough to do serious injury, critical injury, but not instant death. People who start out healthy have a higher probability of surviving a critical injury: survival is not guaranteed, but the odds are on their side. People who already have cancer, who are getting chemotherapy or whatever treatment, are more likely to develop complications and therefore less likely to survive a critical injury; death is not certain, but the odds are against them. The "at risk" people are more likely to die. The probability for them is higher. It may or may not mean likely----again, an increase from 0.2% to 0.7% is an increase in probability; 0.7% is "more likely" than 0.2%. All we are saying is "more likely."

I am not saying that "at risk" automatically is a death sentence. That is not a proper understanding of the probabilities. Being "at risk" marginally increases one's probability of dying, but the important thing to appreciate is that NO ONE, nobody on this planet, has a zero probability of dying today. For each one of us, no matter how young or healthy, there is some probability that we will die. This is not theoretical. Again, the folks who make actuarial tables for insurance companies could tell you your exact probability of dying this day, this year, etc. In fact, it is rarely appreciated that the probability of dying on any given day is usually much higher than the probability of winning the lottery that day: people fantasize about winning the lottery, but it doesn't occur to them that death is even more likely. Each one of us has some actuarial probability of dying, and being "at risk" in any way simply increases that probability. Even an increase from 1/100,000 to 1/10,000 makes something "more likely" --- in fact, ten times more likely!

That's all I'm saying. "More likely" simply means a higher probability. The probability may be very big or very small. The increase from 3% to 30% and the increase from (1 in ten billion) to (1 in a billion) are both changes that make something 10x more likely, but it doesn't necessarily mean that something winds up very likely even after the increase. Again, I would remind you that even for a perfectly healthy young person, the probability of death is considerably higher than you would think. "At risk" simply makes it a little more likely.

Your questions have caused us to dive much deeper into the mathematical underpinnings of this question than typically would be necessary. Most people would not have to consider all this, but I am going through these arguments to answer your questions.

RC & DI Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Mike,

1) Firstly I would appreciate the efforts put in by you, a sign of a very patient and dedicated person.
2) I mean every word written above as I have seen most of other institutes avoiding the topics like the plague, and if there is ever a reply, it's without substance.
3) Secondly, I don't intend to waste any of your time further on this, as I would have surely picked the OA if I ever came across this Q.
4) As on the Q of probability, the probability or likelihood of a thing comes after/is based on the outcomes of that incident on various occassion in the past. If I say prob of picking 2 white balls in total of 6 balls incl these two is 1/3, then it is based on some grounds.
5) In the same logic, at-risk linking to most fatality rates or high probability of death would mean higher deaths in the number of persons affected with those particular diseases in the past, and it will not be relative to lesser serious diseases but to his remaining alive. So either at-risk should mean that in the past more than 50% have been fatal or connecting at-risk with most fatality rate may not be too accurate.
6) Finally, I am sure that we two are looking at it from two different views and your view too would be correct ofcourse. Had there been an error, which is very normal in such a vast pool of Q, you would have surely relooked into it, thats what I can say after the interaction with you on this Q..
thank you and Regards,
Chetan
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
chetan2u wrote:
Hi Mike,

4) As on the Q of probability, the probability or likelihood of a thing comes after/is based on the outcomes of that incident on various occassion in the past. If I say prob of picking 2 white balls in total of 6 balls incl these two is 1/3, then it is based on some grounds.
5) In the same logic, at-risk linking to most fatality rates or high probability of death would mean higher deaths in the number of persons affected with those particular diseases in the past, and it will not be relative to lesser serious diseases but to his remaining alive. So either at-risk should mean that in the past more than 50% have been fatal or connecting at-risk with most fatality rate may not be too accurate.

Chetan

Dear Chetan,
My intelligent friend, this dialogue has gone on for a while. At this point, I will just clarify a couple points about probability. It's seems that a discussion of SC has led into mathematics.

As to point #4, don't confuse the probability you need to know for the GMAT with probability in general. If the GMAT wants to give a problem and ask for the probability, there has to be some tidy, cookbook set of conditions specified so that we can calculate this. In the real world, there are all kinds of probabilities that cannot be calculated easily, but in some cases, people want to know. What is the probability that, say, Apple Corporation will be out of business in ten years? This particular company has never existed before, but on the basis of analogies to other industries and similar factors, one could estimate a probability. Sophisticated investors will do this for the companies in which they invest.
What is the probability that I will be in an auto accident this year? Of course, that depends on me, my motor abilities, my car, the road conditions, the weather, the other drivers, etc. It's not an easy calculation that you or I could do, but insurance companies do this calculations and use that probability to determine what rate of auto insurance to charge me.
As it turns out, every event and every decision in life involve probabilities. Probability is a HUGE topic, much bigger than sets of six colored balls, but what the GMAT asks is a tiny and neat little corner of this much larger world.

As to point #5, don't confuse "A is more likely than B" with "A is likely." The statement "A is likely" indeed means that P(A) > 0.50, as you suggest, but that's nowhere the suggestion in this argument. The statement "A is more likely than B" simply means P(A) > P(B), but both values could be small. For example, you are more likely to get hit by lightning than to win the lottery, but that doesn't at all mean that you have an over 50% chance of getting hit by lightning! Both events are wildly unlikely, but one is more likely than the other.

Does this make sense?
Mike
GMAT Club Bot