Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 00:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

LBS MBA vs HEC MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
LBS MBA vs HEC MBA [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2012, 02:31
Hi Guys,

I am having a difficult choice. I have only applied to 2 schools for an MBA - HEC and LBS. both have offered me a place, which is great news. I was able to get a scholarship for HEC, which makes the choice that much harder.

Now I really wonder what to do. Are the prospects after graduation that much better at LBS to justify the higher cost of the course? My target is to work in strategy consulting or private equity/vc after graduation.

What do you think?

Last edited by gigio136 on 14 Dec 2012, 03:57, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 112 [1] , given: 215

Re: LBS MBA vs HEC MBA [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 15:25
This post received
KUDOS
gigio136 wrote:
Hi Guys,

I am having a difficult choice. I have only applied to 2 schools for an MBA - HEC and LBS. both have offered me a place, which is great news. I was able to get a scholarship for HEC, which makes the choice that much harder.

Now I really wonder what to do. Are the prospects after graduation that much better at LBS to justify the higher cost of the course? My target is to work in strategy consulting or private equity/vc after graduation.

What do you think?

I would struggle a lot to find a reason to prefer HEC over LBS, unless you have a strong reason (eg spouse-related) to live in France. LBS beats it in terms of the quality of its students, reputation mong recruiters, etc. If you are in doubt, take a closer look at their career reports and figure it out yourself.

Anyway, I am not saying HEC is bad. On the opposite. I actually think it is a great school. It just happens that LBS is on its own league, together with Insead.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
GRE 1: 333 Q168 V165
GPA: 3.4
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Re: LBS vs HEC [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2012, 02:38
If you want to work in Europe I would definitely go with HEC. It's an amazing school with really brilliant people (I am not a former student). HEC and Bocconi are the two best business schools in Europe.

I have always found LBS to be overrated and it seems to benefit a lot from its location in London.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: LBS vs HEC [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2012, 02:48
This is for an MBA - wouldnt have thought of Bocconi as so highly rated..
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
GRE 1: 333 Q168 V165
GPA: 3.4
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Re: LBS vs HEC [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2012, 02:56
Sorry then - for MBA then I would go with LBS. Why don't you apply to U.S. programs? Not more expensive and very attractive to European employers (I assume you want to work in Europe). I did a summer internship a few summers ago with a mid-tier investment bank in London (as an analyst intern) and pretty much all of the associate interns (doing their MBA) were from U.S. programs (NYU, Dartmouth, Ross if I recall correctly)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.44
WE: Business Development (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 7

Re: LBS MBA vs HEC MBA [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 05:32
I agree that you should go to LBS. HEC is great and all, but people who are not very familiar with European schools have never heard of it. LBS has a much better known name, and you never know when you need to impress someone who has not researched MBA programs in Europe.

See if you can find out what % of students end up at the firms you are interested in, check out the recruiting pages for both schools at the firms you like, heck, you can even call up the HR departments and ask which one they would prefer.

I am applying to INSEAD, among other schools, and if I am accepted there then I think I will use the last strategy to decide where it ranks in my list. The school I go to is not the goal - it is getting hired. It is a lot harder to compare European schools than it is American ones because of how many rankings and comparisons are done of American schools.
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 561 [0], given: 30

Re: LBS MBA vs HEC MBA [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 03:21
Expert's post
I agree with pretty much everybody above... Unless you have a burning desire to work in France (which would be totally valid), and want to learn French then LBS has the far better rep. If you speak French or will learn and want to stay in France, then HEC might be the better choice.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Re: LBS MBA vs HEC MBA   [#permalink] 08 Jan 2013, 03:21