Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 09:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

LBS vs. IMD (vs. UCLA)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

LBS vs. IMD (vs. UCLA) [#permalink] New post 28 May 2014, 01:02
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi guys,

Huge dilemma here. Here's a little info about me :
- Male, 31 y.o., western Europe
- Scientific studies
- consulting, mainly banking and ops
- 7 y experience
- Would love to work in industry, preferably in consumer electronics or at least consumer tech/internet environment (e.g. Google, Amazon, eBay, Samsung, Microsoft, etc.)

I have been accepted at LBS, IMD and UCLA. Either I do LBS with international exchange at UCLA or simply IMD. I still need to visit LBS but wanted to have your honest opinion.

I'm slightly scared of the younger crowd at LBS and the too relaxed atmosphere. But seems easier to get into tech.

IMD excellent overall management program with senior students but seems extremely intense and less prone to consumer tech industry.

Many thanks for your help!
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 03-01-2014
WE: Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: LBS vs. IMD (vs. UCLA) [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2014, 06:54
Hi,
If you aim to go to industry post-MBA, go for IMD. Their network in Europe is peerless.
If you aim to work in Finance, go for LBS. They're the best on that field.
At the end the 2 schools are quite different. I know people for both schools and IMD dudes gave me the impression that they fell in love with the school whereas for LBS, I had the impression they fell in love with London & LBS brand.
Good luck!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: LBS vs. IMD (vs. UCLA) [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2014, 21:46
This post received
KUDOS
Congratulations on getting admitted to 3 great programs!
Re: IMD versus LBS: both schools are well positioned to help you with recruitment into the types of industries you mention. IMD is indeed more focused on industry than other sectors e.g. finance or consulting; LBS is more generalist and is a great platform for going into many different positions (across industry/finance/consulting). One advantage you would have at LBS is a bigger alumni network than at IMD, due to the very different class sizes. In any case, don't make up your mind before you have visited LBS. The most important thing for you now is to get a better feel for your overall fit with each school (beyond recruitment opportunities) and you will have a much stronger sense of this either way once you have visited LBS.
Good luck!
Caroline @ Fortuna Admissions.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Re: LBS vs. IMD (vs. UCLA) [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2014, 15:02
Google and Amazon do recruit at IMD and quite a descent number considering the class size.
Samsung is one of the companies that hire the most from IMD!
Obviously, it will also depend on your background to get into those companies.
Don't know about LBS except that it is also a great school.

If you are really focused on consumer electronics I advise you to talk to current students and alumni from both school to have a better feel of the recruitment but also the program.
Both programs are top notch so you can't be wrong.
Re: LBS vs. IMD (vs. UCLA)   [#permalink] 19 Jun 2014, 15:02