Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 04:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Leaders of a miners’ union on strike against Coalco are cont

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: Why E and not C ??? [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2011, 14:27
E has no effect on the plan
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User
Re: Why E and not C ??? [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2011, 01:03
The leaders of the Miners' union have decided to call for a consumer boycott against gasco.
What is meant by the term "consumer boycott"
Does it mean that the leaders of the union have decided not to consume gas at the gasco gas stations?
or does it mean that they have decioded not to attend to the consumers who come to fill gas at the gasco gas stations ?
Also Can someone elaborate on what influence does C Have on the Plan .
Is it relevant because the chances of having your proposal accepted increase if the other unions have met with some success.What if the other unions have had no success

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Why E and not C ??? [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 10:44
This post received
KUDOS
I have chosen the answer E for this question:

A. Revenue losses would be extremely important to know. The reason is because if this boycott affects Gasco's revenue, they would probably be more inclined to deal with the situation and possibly submit to the conditions of the union's proposal. If it doesn't affect the revenue, then the union would have to find some other approach to put pressure on the company. Therefore, this answer choice is relevant.

B. If gas can easily be obtained elsewhere, this would likely make the boycott fail because consumers could go somewhere else very easily. If gas cannot be easily obtained, then this approach would definitely affect the company.

C. There seems to be a lot of questions concerning this answer choice. The way I interpreted it was that if other miners' unions won contracts, then their proposal is fair and Coalco would be see that their conditions aren't outrageous. Also, if the contracts are similar, it means that other companies have caved to these same conditions and Coalco is probably willing to do the same in order to avoid additional pressure.

D. This is obviously important because if previous tactics have worked, then there is no reason that they should not again. This knowledge tells us the likelihood of these tactics succeeding.

E. This answer choice is least relevant because we are not concerned whether coal companies also own gas companies. For example, say we choose the answer "yes" to this question. Would this tell us any additional information? How about if we chose the answer "no?" Answers to either of these questions would not be beneficial to the leaders of the miners' union.
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: Why E and not C ??? [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2012, 21:16
how do you classify this Question?

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

Re: Why E and not C ??? [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2012, 23:03
The reason why C is relevant is not simply that it is a "precedent" for the contract. It has to be relevant to the question of whether attempting to organize a consumer boycott would work or not. C is relevant to this question because it will be easier to convince consumers to support a boycott if other, similar unions have similar contracts. If this contract is very different from other contracts for similar unions, it will be harder to persuade consumers to go along with it. B is relevant for basically the same reason: It affects whether consumers are likely to (in the case of B, whether they are even ABLE to!) support it.

Grumpy

Kaplan Canada LSAT/GMAT/GRE teacher and tutor

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 54 [1] , given: 14

Re: Why E and not C ??? [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2012, 00:01
This post received
KUDOS
garimavyas wrote:
yes, has to be E , as the answer to whether other corporations that own coal companies also own gas stations is irrelevant . C offers a precedent , which is obviously relevant .

In case there is still some ambiguity on why E is correct and not C, here is my take on it:

(C) Have other miners’unions won contracts similar to the one proposed by this union?
Since the question asks for the LEAST relevant to the Union's consideration, any information that is even remotely influential in going ahead
with the boycott can be considered as a wrong answer choice.
If we assume that other miners' unions have won contracts similar to the one proposed by the union, then it clearly indicates that their demands are not completely outrageous. Even if the answer to that question is NO, that would still influence the decision whether to go ahead with the boycott or not.
As rightly mentioned above, it will help determine whether a precedent has already been set or not. Since we are only looking for the LEAST relevant option, it makes answer choice C more relevant than E.

(E) Do other corporations that own coal companies also own gas stations?
To know whether other corporations that own coal companies also own gas stations is completely irrelevant. Had E stated "Does any other CORPORATION have gas stations in the locality/country/world (though farfetched)" would have made E more relevant than C. Because in that case, knowing that boycotting Gasco would have a significant impact since there would/wouldn't be other gas stations that consumers could go to. But in its current form, E is focusing only on corporations that own coal companies and whether they also own gas stations.

This makes E an obvious choice for me.

Hope it helps.

Shouvik
http://www.Edvento.com
admin@edvento.com

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Why E and not C ??? [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 02:09
i am trying to understand what type of CR this is

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

Expert Post
Followers: 266

Kudos [?]: 2265 [0], given: 691

Re: Leaders of a miners’ union on strike against Coalco are cont [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 17:26
Expert's post
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Leaders of a miners’ union on strike against Coalco are cont [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 19:57
carcass wrote:
is strenghten question but here you have the word LEAST so you have to choice an answer that weaken the argument or is neutral

I don't think that this is a strengthen question..

It , in my opinion, is a reverse/negative evaluate question.. very rare are these type of questions

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: IE '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: -15 [2] , given: 0

Re: Leaders of a miners’ union on strike against Coalco are cont [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 20:59
This post received
KUDOS
c is relevent because if other unions have won a similar contract before then it proves that the contract itself is reasonable enough to be considered by the company, increasing the chances of the contract getting accepted.
e is irrelevent since it talks about other corporations and whether they own both gas and coal companies. This is in no way relevent since these other comapnies can be anywhere and its not realistic to think that energy incorporated customers will go to these companies after boycotting energy incorporated.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: Leaders of a miners’ union on strike against Coalco are cont [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2013, 01:22
boycot causes accepting
do x then y happen.

prethink:
assumption is there is no bad agent
strengthener is: there is no bad agent

go to answer choices, eliminate the choice which can show the strenghthener.

E is left.

because the prethink dose not need to be exactly, I make simple prethinking. This is also helpful.

pls comment of my above process.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 230

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Leaders of a miners’ union on strike against Coalco are cont [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2014, 15:11
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Leaders of a miners’ union on strike against Coalco are cont   [#permalink] 18 Apr 2014, 15:11