Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 17:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Leaders of a miners’ union on strike against Coalco are cont

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Leaders of a miners’ union on strike against Coalco are cont [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2009, 22:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

81% (02:21) correct 19% (01:18) wrong based on 227 sessions
Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, 2nd Edition

Practice Question
Question No.: 42
Page: 132
Difficulty:

Leaders of a miners’ union on strike against Coalco are contemplating additional measures to pressure the company to accept the union's contract proposal.The union leaders are considering as their principal new tactic a consumer boycott against Gasco gas stations,which are owned by Energy Incorporated,the same corporation that owns Coalco.

The answer to which of the following questions is LEAST directly relevant to the union leaders’ consideration of whether attempting a boycott of Gasco will lead to acceptance of their contract proposal?

(A) Would revenue losses by Gasco seriously affect Energy Incorporated?
(B) Can current Gasco customers easily obtain gasoline elsewhere?
(C) Have other miners’unions won contracts similar to the one proposed by this union?
(D) Have other unions that have employed a similar tactic achieved their goals with it?
(E) Do other corporations that own coal companies also own gas stations?

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Here is my analysis about this question.

Any other Option other than C and E are related in some way or the other to the leader's consideration that "attempting a boycott of Gasco will lead to acceptance of their contract proposal"

Regarding Option C:
Whether or not other minor's union have won such proposals - is not related to the fact that something will happen by boycotting the Gasco...and therefore this is the answer

Regarding Option E:
If there are other Co that own both of them, on boycotting Gasco of Energy Incorporated - consumers will go to other Gasco, who also own CoalCo. Therefore the competitors of Energy Incorporated will start performing better and therefore a cause of concern for Energy Incorporated, and likely hood that they will accept the proposal is more.

Therefore Option E is to some extent related and not the correct answer.

If so then "C" is a better anwer. But all forums show option "C" as the correct answer. With a reason that

"If other miners’ unions have won similar contracts,then the union's proposal is reasonable.This question is relevant."

this is not all related to the union Leaders plans that "attempting a boycott of Gasco will lead to acceptance of their contract proposal". So what if the proposal is reasonable, but it will not get accepted because of boycott...am i wrong...?

Can someone help in understanding what - understanding should we carry about GMAT choice of answers.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

- Its all about correctness first and then the timing.

Last edited by Narenn on 07 Oct 2013, 09:44, edited 3 times in total.
Necessary Corrections for Official Guide Verbal Review 2nd Edition Project
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 80 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Why E and not C ??? [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2009, 22:50
This post received
KUDOS
41.Leaders of a miners’ union on strike against Coalco are contemplating additional measures to pressure the company to accept the union's contract proposal.The union leaders are considering as their principal new tactic a consumer boycott against Gasco gas stations,which are owned by Energy Incorporated,the same corporation that owns Coalco。

The answer to which of the following questions is LEAST directly relevant to the union leaders’ consideration of whether attempting a boycott of Gasco will lead to acceptance of their contract proposal?

](A) Would revenue losses by Gasco seriously affect Energy Incorporated?
(C) Have other miners’unions won contracts similar to the one proposed by this union?
(D) Have other unions that have employed a similar tactic achieved their goals with it?
(E) Do other corporations that own coal companies also own gas stations?

41) i think u r right that both choices are very close and if one does not look clearly might fall for any ans.....
however one point which asks for merit is:-
relevance asked is for union leaders’ consideration of the proposal and not relevance of proposal.... slight difference but i think an imp one...
since union leaders’ consideration would encompass points which might not be true for relevance of proposal..
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Why E and not C ??? [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2009, 00:51
All I could carry as an understanding for myself is that

"We should not apply two-step logical co-relation. It should be as much as possible single step co-relation."

Does anyone have an example where the above conclusion is flawed ?? :)

- Its all about correctness first and then the timing.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Why E and not C ??? [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2009, 01:46
I must say C is not also that relevant as it doesn't mean whether other miners’ unions won contracts similar to the one proposed by this union guarantee to win this contract by the same union still if you think this kind of previous case study can provide some information about the success of the plan. At least if other miners’ unions won contracts similar to the one proposed by this union , the fact could have add confidence to the union leaders.
But E is no way relevant.
So between C & E, I'll always go for E.
And one humble request please don't write the closed options in heading as it will simply tell us to look between two out of five!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 0

Re: Why E and not C ??? [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2010, 19:03
This post received
KUDOS
41.Leaders of a miners’ union on strike against Coalco are contemplating additional measures to pressure the company to accept the union's contract proposal.The union leaders are considering as their principal new tactic a consumer boycott against Gasco gas stations,which are owned by Energy Incorporated,the same corporation that owns Coalco。

/////////// Energy incorp//////////
Gasco station -------------- Coalco Corp
BI -Union Strike against Coalco Corp to accept the contract's proposal.
Tactise - Boycotting on Gasco station affect the Coalco Corp

We need to find the least one.

(A) Would revenue losses by Gasco seriously affect Energy Incorporated? if yes - Boycotting Gasco affect the Coalco's Corp.
(B) Can current Gasco customers easily obtain gasoline elsewhere? - if yes - Boycotting Gasco affect the Coalco's Corp.
(C) Have other miners’unions won contracts similar to the one proposed by this union? - if yes - Boycotting Gasco may or maynot the Coalco's Corp.
(D) Have other unions that have employed a similar tactic achieved their goals with it? - if yes - Boycotting Gasco affect the Coalco's Corp.
(E) Do other corporations that own coal companies also own gas stations? - If yes/No we can't say anything about Boycotting Gasco affect the Coalco's Corp.

Ans E)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 112

Re: Why E and not C ??? [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2010, 20:45
e .. relatively simple !!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: Why E and not C ??? [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2010, 00:23
yes E it should be - direct shot!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Why E and not C ??? [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2010, 07:51
E it is.

C is relevant. If companies have won similar contract then you have case to follow, if companies have never won such contract then may be you have no hope at all.

E is not relevant. Fact is Gasco is owned by Energy, whether there are similar corporation like that in the world, it doesn't matter, you want to strike Gaso, not IBM, HP, Dell.... Your concern is Gasco only.
Manager
Manager
Schools: University of Economics Prague

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 15

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Why E and not C ??? [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2010, 16:00
correct, E has nothing to do with the question of success of the leaders’ attemt. C, if positive provides support for their position.

You want somethin', go get it. Period!

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 6

Re: Why E and not C ??? [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2010, 10:33
E is totally irrelevant to the argument in hand.
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 375 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Why E and not C ??? [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2010, 20:51
negate E and nothing happens to the argument :-) We are least bothered about "other corporations"

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Why E and not C ??? [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 01:16
"We should not apply two-step logical co-relation. It should be as much as possible single step co-relation."
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Why E and not C ??? [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 02:34
IMO E...coz other gas companies owning mines is irrelevant and since the question says LEAST its got to be E

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 8

Re: Why E and not C ??? [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 12:17
E it is!!!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: Why E and not C ??? [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 12:44
pual wrote:
Question from OG11-Verbal Review

41.Leaders of a miners’ union on strike against Coalco are contemplating additional measures to pressure the company to accept the union's contract proposal.The union leaders are considering as their principal new tactic a consumer boycott against Gasco gas stations,which are owned by Energy Incorporated,the same corporation that owns Coalco

(A) Would revenue losses by Gasco seriously affect Energy Incorporated?
(C) Have other miners’unions won contracts similar to the one proposed by this union? This is relevant because I need to know if my contract is way over the top and unreasonable
(E) Do other corporations that own coal companies also own gas stations?How does it really matter if other corporations that own coal companies own gas stations? It does not give my any significant information regarding the strike

Here is my analysis about this question.

Any other Option other than C and E are related in some way or the other to the leader's consideration that "attempting a boycott of Gasco will lead to acceptance of their contract proposal"

Regarding Option C:
Whether or not other minor's union have won such proposals - is not related to the fact that something will happen by boycotting the Gasco...and therefore this is the answer

Regarding Option E:
If there are other Co that own both of them, on boycotting Gasco of Energy Incorporated - consumers will go to other Gasco, who also own CoalCo. Therefore the competitors of Energy Incorporated will start performing better and therefore a cause of concern for Energy Incorporated, and likely hood that they will accept the proposal is more.

Therefore Option E is to some extent related and not the correct answer.

If so then "C" is a better anwer. But all forums show option "C" as the correct answer. With a reason that

"If other miners’ unions have won similar contracts,then the union's proposal is reasonable.This question is relevant."

this is not all related to the union Leaders plans that "attempting a boycott of Gasco will lead to acceptance of their contract proposal". So what if the proposal is reasonable, but it will not get accepted because of boycott...am i wrong...?

Can someone help in understanding what - understanding should we carry about GMAT choice of answers.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Why E and not C ??? [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 19:52
I am also with E.
It doesn't matter to either the Leaders or the corporation whether there are any other corporations that own coal companies as well as gas stations.

But can anyone explain me what option C is trying to say ... I am pretty sure that E is related to the premise but want to know what exactly C is trying to say.

Thanks in advance for the explanation
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: Why E and not C ??? [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2011, 00:43
geturdream wrote:
I am also with E.
It doesn't matter to either the Leaders or the corporation whether there are any other corporations that own coal companies as well as gas stations.

But can anyone explain me what option C is trying to say ... I am pretty sure that E is related to the premise but want to know what exactly C is trying to say.

Thanks in advance for the explanation

C: Have other miners' unions won contracts similar to the one proposed by this union?

Leaders of 1 miners’ union are trying to make the company accept the union's contract proposal, let say contract X.
C is the question whether other unions achieved contracts that are similar/the same as the contract X. HTH
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 18

Re: Why E and not C ??? [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2011, 08:38
E is the best answer because I find it irrelevant at all.

Hung M.Tran
Faculty of Banking and Finance,
National Economics University of Vietnam

Follow me on Twitter : http://twitter.com/AndyTranHung

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 yr IT
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 26

Re: Why E and not C ??? [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2011, 10:58
E straight.

this time, we play for keeps

Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: Why E and not C ??? [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2011, 12:04
yes, has to be E , as the answer to whether other corporations that own coal companies also own gas stations is irrelevant . C offers a precedent , which is obviously relevant .

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Re: Why E and not C ???   [#permalink] 26 Jan 2011, 12:04