Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 12:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Leadership Essay Advice (Tuck)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 11

Leadership Essay Advice (Tuck) [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2007, 19:26
Hey guys... I need some help out here

I'm writing my essay on leadership, but the problem is that, I haven't had much opportunity to practice leadership. I was with a bank, and at entry level, there isn't much leadership. I've done the entrepreneurship thing, but was mainly running the area that I was responsible for - I wasn't the CEO or anything like that.... I'm active in community service, but because of time constraints I really haven't gotten into a leadership role either.

So, what leadership roles have I done? I had a few roles in university, one which I had written about previously - since I'm a reapplicant, should I reuse the old essay, or should I rewrite my essay?

If I'm rewriting, the only other part that stands out was when I was the co-team leader of a pool team. But I'm already writing about playing pool, do I want an essay that covers the same subject matter?

Help! :P
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2007, 19:34
Just focus on the fact that "management" and "leadership" are not necessarily the same. Start thinking about how you have shown leadership without having people reporting to you.

I also had the same question as you. But after thinking a lot about my contributions, I feel that I have plenty of examples to show my leadership. I am sure you will find the same about yourself.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2007, 19:47
I think for me the issue stems from the essay question:

Tuck defines leadership as “inspiring others to strive and enabling them to accomplish great things.” Describe a time when you exercised such leadership. Discuss the challenges you faced and the results you achieved. What characteristics helped you to be effective, and what areas do you feel you need to develop in order to be a better leader?

So there is obvious reference to being a leader of people, not solo leadership. I'm still thinking about it, it's the last essay that I need to draft out and work on :(

Can you inspire others when there are no others to inspire?

I inspired my split personality to help me work on essays :(
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2007, 00:07
It does not necessarily mean that you need to be the "official leader" to be able to show leadership abilities.

Try to think of a situation/s (may be a meeting) where even though you were not the "leader" but still you managed to influence the outcome of the situation (or meeting). You can talk about how you got your point across, how you convinced the others about your view.

May be during your community activities you taught some people or mentored someone at your bank. That is leadership !

Hope this helps !!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2007, 00:31
sumande wrote:
It does not necessarily mean that you need to be the "official leader" to be able to show leadership abilities.

Try to think of a situation/s (may be a meeting) where even though you were not the "leader" but still you managed to influence the outcome of the situation (or meeting). You can talk about how you got your point across, how you convinced the others about your view.

May be during your community activities you taught some people or mentored someone at your bank. That is leadership !

Hope this helps !!

it does... a lot.. :)

thanks.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 701 [0], given: 5

[#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2007, 02:42
Personally I think that accomplishing a goal you set, by leading your peers and superiors to do something that was your idea can make a better example than if you are someones boss and accomplish the same thing. By leading from a subordinate position you are truly having to use leadership skills because you can't really rely on a fancy title and your authority.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2007, 02:56
How about if I identified a decision, and convinced the team to follow the decision? It was a hard decision, and everybody was initially against it, however, I made the right decision. Would that show leadership?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2007, 05:11
I am in a similar position because my main work experience was at a VERY small consulting firm - 4 people. It was more of a team and no one person was ever really the "lead". So when it comes to "leadership" questions, it's hard for me to pick a work related topic.

However, I am very active in martial arts and am one of the senior guys there, and as such I often lead warmups at the beginning of class and instruct newer guys while the "real" instructor works with the more experienced guys. In addition, I am known as the "cardio" guy because when people spar with me they know I will work them hard and push them to go longer than they have before, which helps them increase their conditioning and skill, and because of this I am very respected and well liked. This is the kind of thing I plan on writing when it comes to leadership/making others better essays, plus I think the martial arts angle will be different/unique.

I'm not sure if it will hurt that I pick that and not a work situation....thoughts?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 701 [0], given: 5

[#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2007, 07:13
Just find the best experience you have that answers the question, whether its work, volunteering, team...though having it be more recent probably helps.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

[#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2007, 16:04
As long as it's recent (within 3 years), make sure you have a good BALANCE between work and outside work examples. If most of your other essays will be about work, then make the leadership one be related to a non-work activity, and vice versa.

My Haas essays are broken down into the following in terms of work/non-work:

Short answers:
1: Non-work (NW)
2: NW (but related to company)
3: NW (but related to company)
4: N/A

Long Essays:
1: Work
2: Work

Optional:
1: NW
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2007, 23:44
I'm interpreting the question as "describe an instance when you exhibits leadership qualities/skills". Using an example of reviving a dead project, and rebuilding the team from the ground up. I thought it would be better to focus on a work related example rather than an outside ex.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2007, 00:29
And what do you think about an advice at one of the Admission Consulting website that offers to show both strong and weak points in this essay. When I take different examples, that show leadership, it becomes quite hard to find what were my weak points - I took the lead and struggled the situation to a great outcome...
Also, am stuck with the what could be the leadership areas and how they could improved during the education. Any ideas?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2007, 08:20
I don't know about emphasizing weak points but the question asks you to ID what areas you need to improve and why. So in a successful situation there is always going to be something that didn't go perfectly ID that and talk about the reasons behind it. Then show what you need to improve and how you can accomplish that.
  [#permalink] 23 Sep 2007, 08:20