Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 20:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Leadership positions post MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: Cornell
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 6

Leadership positions post MBA [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2009, 10:18
In all my vigour of applying the question that keeps hitting me back is about placements post MBA (would be hitting many others also I guess). My question specifically though was about companies hiring fresh MBA grads (with 7-8 years work ex.) for leadership positions. My analysis could be absolutely wrong here but when I look around I feel that not many leaders of today are alums of any top MBA college. This brings us to the fundamental argument about whether leaders can be made are you are only born as a leader. But keeping that aside I wanted to ask ex-grads and alumnis over here that when companies come to your colleges do they actually look for candidates who can immediately take on a team leadership role in a senior position? I am talking in terms of leading a team of say 500-1000 members or having 5-6 senior direct reports who themselves are heads of business units.

My feeling is that most of these companies come to these top grad schools for the best analysts or the best project managers. I have seen it around me many grads from top colleges have just come and become delivery directors or small time project managers but when it comes to leadership positions it would most certainly go to an in-house, home bred person....It can be classified as a frog in the well story but tell me if I am wrong.
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth, Class of 2011
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: Leadership positions post MBA [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2009, 10:59
From what I've seen, firms generally won't go to hire some one out of an MBA program to run a 1000 person division. Seriously, a 1000 person division being run by the typical newly minted MBA with 3-5 years of experience (I realize you mentioned 7-8, but that's more an outlier than the norm)? The typical FT MBA student has managed some where in the 0-20 people range...that's a big step from 500-1000. That said, many firms will go to MBA programs and hire individuals who they expect to be running 500-1000 people teams in 5-10 years. At these firms, frequently the only way to get into such a leadership role is to have gone through the MBA program and then get hired into their GM programs.

That said, you have to be realistic in your expectations. If you're already running a group of 100+ people, chances are a FT MBA isn't the best choice for you; and EMBA or Sloan Fellows program is likely the better choice.
Re: Leadership positions post MBA   [#permalink] 01 Nov 2009, 10:59