Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 12:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Leadership Potential...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Leadership Potential... [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2010, 13:24
So how does adcom measure the leadership potential of a candidate?

Excuse me for my ignorance but I am very confused. I believe leaders and managers (especially middle managers) are two contradictory things. Leaders have strong emotional connection to their goals, they inspire the followers with their ideology, they think in long term to make sure that solutions will have a long lasting impact on their organization. Middle managers want to meet the deadline with moderate quality. They don't inspire their sub-ordinates rather their goal is to make sure that job is done on time and upper management is happy. They don't have a long term vision as their goal is to get the work done. Leaders are selfless people whose priority is their organization. Managers look for themselves first, trying to find a way to ensure teh safety of their jobs. Leaders may sacrifice themselevs for meeting their goals, managers sacrifice their subordinates.

While most of the MBA grads will start their career as middle managers, I don't think that you actually need to have leadership qualities to be a manager. You need to know how to drive the people , with fear of losing their job or award for performance or just a feeling of working in a good team.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Leadership Potential... [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2010, 13:26
Have you seen a person in your organization who keeps on arranging meetings after meetings to complete a small task. He invites his bosses and bosses of his bosses to make sure that they notice the work being done.

On the other hand, another person who completes the same task without wasting time on marketing himself. He just invites the concerned people, assigns them the tasks and follows up whenever required.

Who is the leader here?
Intern
Intern
WE 1: Corporate Strategy
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Leadership Potential... [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2010, 21:16
Clearly you've had bad experiences with managers at your organization.

I agree that leadership is about more than just having people report to you. It is about inspiring people, keeping them motivated, and proving that they can accomplish more than they originally thought.

One does not need to be a manager to be a leader. On the other hand, being a manager does not preclude one from having leadership abilities.

So how does the adcom measure leadership potential? They look for experiences where you have inspired followers and made significant achievements. Org structure is irrelevant.

Just my 2 cents.

PS - Leadership is a skill, as is navigating corporate politics.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Leadership Potential... [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2010, 12:03
Welcome to one of the most famous cases at HBS and Darden...

Posted from my mobile device Image

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: Leadership Potential...   [#permalink] 11 Jul 2010, 12:03