Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 03:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

LEAK?: USNews 2010 MBA Rankings | Yale SOM breaks top 10?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 150 [1] , given: 12

Re: LEAK?: USNews 2010 MBA Rankings | Yale SOM breaks top 10? [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2009, 05:44
This post received
KUDOS
Interesting. I think Yale's bump had the Nink effect. Keep it going buddy!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Yale SOM 2011
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 7

Re: LEAK?: USNews 2010 MBA Rankings | Yale SOM breaks top 10? [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2009, 06:45
Its funny the difference in quality on Gmatclub and the assclowns on the BW forums :roll:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 702 [0], given: 5

Re: LEAK?: USNews 2010 MBA Rankings | Yale SOM breaks top 10? [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2009, 07:52
dabots wrote:
river is now a fan of rankings :roll:

I never disliked US News, they usually have things reasonably...but I still think that the tier system popular on here is the best way to look at schools. However, there are people who are swayed by rankings. Unfortunately some of those people are the very type of people who I wouldnt want to be classmates with.

That said dont cry sour grapes if you are no longer a top 5. :wink:

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: HBS '11
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

Re: LEAK?: USNews 2010 MBA Rankings | Yale SOM breaks top 10? [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2009, 07:55
This post received
KUDOS
Interesting, but for some reason the video is dated April 30:

New Grad School Trends in 2010
(U.S. News-April 30)

U.S. News Editor Brian Kelly looks at our first-ever part-time law school rankings, the changing face of business school, and the front lines of fighting disease.

you can still get to the video by going to the youtube version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr2mHtOE0ho and clicking on the link under info: http://usnews.feedroom.com/index.jsp?fr ... &rf=fr_std
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

Re: LEAK?: USNews 2010 MBA Rankings | Yale SOM breaks top 10? [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2009, 08:42
do you guys have eagle eyes or something. it's like 4 pixels high.. pretty amazing. but I concur. looks like yale is 10th

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: LEAK?: USNews 2010 MBA Rankings | Yale SOM breaks top 10? [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2009, 09:01
GO GEORGETOWN!

I am applying there next year and very stoked at number 19! I love the school, now it is getting high in the rankings. LOL, tell me guys - does the new building at Georgetown help with the rankings increase?
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 1

Re: LEAK?: USNews 2010 MBA Rankings | Yale SOM breaks top 10? [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2009, 09:02
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: LEAK?: USNews 2010 MBA Rankings | Yale SOM breaks top 10? [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2009, 09:09
sonibubu wrote:

Yup!

That's the video solaris originally dug up last night.

fast forward to :55.

VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 17

Re: LEAK?: USNews 2010 MBA Rankings | Yale SOM breaks top 10? [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2009, 09:34
Wow you guys have better eyes or a better screen than I do. All I see are blurry lines that sort of correspond to school names.

Current Student
Schools: HBS '11
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: LEAK?: USNews 2010 MBA Rankings | Yale SOM breaks top 10? [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2009, 09:51
Jerz wrote:
Wow you guys have better eyes or a better screen than I do. All I see are blurry lines that sort of correspond to school names.

The original link under "info": http://usnews.feedroom.com/index.jsp?fr ... &rf=fr_std is clearer (but not by much). You can just make out the names and numbers.
Director
Director
Schools: Harvard '11
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 28

Re: LEAK?: USNews 2010 MBA Rankings | Yale SOM breaks top 10? [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2009, 10:10
Looks like the finance-focused schools all dropped slightly...maybe not a coincidence?
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: LEAK?: USNews 2010 MBA Rankings | Yale SOM breaks top 10? [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2009, 10:23
msday wrote:
Looks like the finance-focused schools all dropped slightly...maybe not a coincidence?

I agree. However, I still can't find rationale for dropping Wharton out of the top 3.
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 12

Re: LEAK?: USNews 2010 MBA Rankings | Yale SOM breaks top 10? [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2009, 10:32
pguard wrote:
msday wrote:

I agree. However, I still can't find rationale for dropping Wharton out of the top 3.

they are still in the top 3....just tied. So just so happens Northwestern comes before Wharton or Upenn in alphabetical order
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: LEAK?: USNews 2010 MBA Rankings | Yale SOM breaks top 10? [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2009, 18:38
If they were considerate, they'd release the rankings in July or August when people have already made decisions that won't be colored by "this school jumped from 17 to 13 so I'm going to enroll," then it drops back to 16 the next year in a more or less arbitrary stab at micro-rating. It's good marketing but frankly I piss on them for messing with the psyche of some applicants during decision season. The process is always caveat emptor and yes, you'd hope people won't be affected by it, but human nature is what it is.

BTW, I second the comment about the quality of people here versus the "other" forum. There remains considered thought among the babble on the interwebs.
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg MMM, Class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 37 [3] , given: 5

Re: LEAK?: USNews 2010 MBA Rankings | Yale SOM breaks top 10? [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2009, 23:02
This post received
KUDOS
Here's a screen grab blown up and sharpened.

I'm of course happy about Kellogg, but also about Wisconsin. That was my safety school and I could not be more impressed with how they handle themselves. Admissions issues were handled by the head of the various departments, and the information and feedback were incredible. I would very highly endorse the school to anyone considering it...
Attachments

USNews-2009-Leak-Enlarge-Sharpen.jpg
USNews-2009-Leak-Enlarge-Sharpen.jpg [ 223.92 KiB | Viewed 8860 times ]

http://bent.tw

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Stanford, Wharton, Booth, Kellogg

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: LEAK?: USNews 2010 MBA Rankings | Yale SOM breaks top 10? [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2009, 03:18
This post received
KUDOS
You can tell the order of the ranking but you can't really tell the actual ranking. For example, after Stanford, I can't tell what the actual rankings are, just the order.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if this isn't the actual ranking. They just put up something somewhat randong up there for this piece. Perhaps they even did it on purpose to generate buzz ahead of time.

So, if this is true, I've decided to attend Kellogg instead. :)
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg School of Management
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 10

Re: LEAK?: USNews 2010 MBA Rankings | Yale SOM breaks top 10? [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2009, 03:46
pu2003 wrote:
You can tell the order of the ranking but you can't really tell the actual ranking. For example, after Stanford, I can't tell what the actual rankings are, just the order.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if this isn't the actual ranking. They just put up something somewhat randong up there for this piece. Perhaps they even did it on purpose to generate buzz ahead of time.

I agree - see my post one page back:)
Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM '11
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: LEAK?: USNews 2010 MBA Rankings | Yale SOM breaks top 10? [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2009, 04:35
Gil wrote:
pu2003 wrote:

You can tell the rankings by looking at the differences in the overall scores.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 145 [1] , given: 9

Re: LEAK?: USNews 2010 MBA Rankings | Yale SOM breaks top 10? [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2009, 05:12
This post received
KUDOS
Gil wrote:
pu2003 wrote:

Occam's Razor, guys. What's more plausible? That this some kind of elaborately staged PR plot to release a video that people may or may not see on some obscure website, with fake rankings that are barely legible in hopes that people will publish them online and generate huge buzz before US News publishes the actual rankings next week, which are completely different? Or that these are the real rankings and the US News folks tried to make it unreadable in the video, but didn't do a good enough job? You can believe whatever conspiracy theory you want, but I'm going with the latter.
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

Re: LEAK?: USNews 2010 MBA Rankings | Yale SOM breaks top 10? [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2009, 05:41
jb32 wrote:
Gil wrote:
pu2003 wrote:

Occam's Razor, guys. What's more plausible? That this some kind of elaborately staged PR plot to release a video that people may or may not see on some obscure website, with fake rankings that are barely legible in hopes that people will publish them online and generate huge buzz before US News publishes the actual rankings next week, which are completely different? Or that these are the real rankings and the US News folks tried to make it unreadable in the video, but didn't do a good enough job? You can believe whatever conspiracy theory you want, but I'm going with the latter.

I think the video was planted by Sharon Oster, Dean of Yale SOM, to manipulate the minds of young MBA applicants as she has been instructed to by her Saturnian alien overlords who intend to utilize a new generation of business and economic leaders to turn Earth into one giant carbon breeding ground so that our gassy galactic neighbors have a place to store their excess flatulence without the side effects of melted polar ice blocks and destroyed coastal cities in their own utopian atmosphere. Or maybe US News just screwed up.

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Re: LEAK?: USNews 2010 MBA Rankings | Yale SOM breaks top 10?   [#permalink] 17 Apr 2009, 05:41