Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 13:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Leaning towards MBA but maybe Law School or Both

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Leaning towards MBA but maybe Law School or Both [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2007, 15:54
I'm pretty sure I want to get my MBA, but I may decide to go to law school or get a joint MBA/JD. I'm thinking about studying for and taking the GMAT and LSAT in sequence, both right after I graduate from college and before I start my job. I searched some past threads on this subject and there seems to be a divergence of opinions about the extent of overlap between the GMAT and LSAT. The middle ground seems to be about about 50/50. Is taking both tests one after the other a good strategy or a recipe for burnout?

All else being equal, is it easier to get in the 95th percentile on the LSAT or the GMAT?

Also, even though nearly all schools with joint MBA/JD programs say you must apply separately, does the fact that you're a joint applicant in any way impact the decision of either program?

Thanks!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2007, 06:22
Expert's post
I honetsly know much less about the LSAT than the GMAT, but from what I've gathered, it's easier to do better on the GMAT. In terms of overlap, there's definitely a decent amount, but I would be very careful about burnout.

I don't think that your status as an applicant in one program affects the other. Each school will evaluate you based on your credentials and decide whether or not you're a good fit and can succeed in that program.

Keep in mind the work experience expectations of law schools vs. business schools. Most law school students go right into law school after college, while most business school students have at least several years of work experience before entering school. Just be mindful of this since it may be hard for you to craft a "one size fits all" application strategy between b-school and law school.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2007, 14:14
Thanks for the response... very helpful! I still may decide on one path over another and it sounds like that would certainly make the game plan less complex.