Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 12:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Learn how That can help you demystify a long sentence

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 50

Reviews Badge
Re: Learn how "THAT" can help you de-mystify a long sentence [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2012, 23:39
Hi e-gmat team.
Sentence 1 is a pretty long complex sentence. I was trying to find which one is independent & which one is dependent clause. But I am a bit confused. Need help to identify:

1. In a review of 2,000 studies of human behavior that date back to the 1940s
2. two Swiss psychologists declared
3. that since most of the studies had failed to control for such variables as social class and family size
4. none could be taken seriously.

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 460 Q35 V20
GPA: 3.6
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 19

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Learn how That can help you demystify a long sentence [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2012, 19:05
I would like to analyse these sentences here.

E- gmat team kindly clarify please:

Paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould has argued -- D.C
that
many biological traits are not the products of natural selection,->I.C
favored due to their enhancement of reproduction or survival, but that they are simply random by-products of other evolutionary developments. ->modifier

So Over all

I.C ,modifier

The government predicts [-- dependant clause
that,
for consumers and businesses that make a large number of long-distance calls, ] - Modifier
the Federal Communications Commission’s recent telephone rate cuts will greatly reduce costs, - Independent clause
though some consumer groups disagree with the government’s estimates, Dependant clause
suggesting they are too optimistic. - ing modiifer

My understanding is this
{D.C ,that ,(modifier), IC, D.C, ing modifier }
The part in bold above becomes a I.C
So the final equation becomes

I.C,D.C, -ing modifier.

Is this correct ?

My doubt is this :
In the examples you have quoted above
Quote:
Mary claims that she won several awards in her high school.

Mary claims (dependant clause)
that
she won several awards in her high school. ( Independant)
I hope this is right.

Can you please clarify the parts in Bold and underlined.I'm really confused about such complex sentences
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Operations
Schools: Foster '15 (S)
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Learn how That can help you demystify a long sentence [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2012, 15:21
Here is my reply without looking at the OR:

QUESTION 1:
In a review of 2,000 studies of human behavior that date back to the 1940s, two Swiss psychologists, declaring that since most of the studies had failed to control for such variables as social class and family size, none could be taken seriously.

QUESTION 2
In 1713, Alexander Pope began his translation of the Iliad, a work that, taking him seven years until completion, and that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced the greatest translation in any language.

Question 1:
In a review of 2,000 studies of human behavior that date back to the 1940s (
- studies of human behavior (Sub); that date back (verb phrase)
declaring that - should be declared that (that is used as a connecting phrase)

Question 2:
In 1713, Alexander Pope began his translation of the Iliad
- AP (subject); began (v)
a work that - connecting phrase
taking him seven years until completion - too him
and that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced the greatest translation in any language.

Both questions also use parallelism and modifiers.

Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 562 [0], given: 107

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Learn how That can help you demystify a long sentence [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2012, 23:24
Expert's post
Hi Shradhha,
For the sentence in your article "Mary found certain evidence that even the Crime Scene Investigators (CSI) could not find." 'that' is a connector for sure.

But,had the sentence been "Mary found certain evidence that even could not be found by the Crime Scene Investigators (CSI)." then I think 'that' is modifying the noun 'evidence' through the purple clause and is the subject of the purple clause as per "Usage 1" mentioned in this article.

Please share your feedback on this.

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Last edited by bagdbmba on 25 Mar 2013, 03:05, edited 2 times in total.
Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Learn how That can help you demystify a long sentence [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2012, 01:18
Expert's post
Hi e-GMAT,
This is a very solid article and I think it has very high importance in understanding the meaning of the sentence...

Here goes the right ans from me:
1.In a review of 2,000 studies of human behavior that date back to the 1940s, two Swiss psychologists declared that since most of the studies had failed to control for such variables as social class and family size, none could be taken seriously.
2.In 1713, Alexander Pope began his translation of the Iliad, a work that, took him seven years until completion, and that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced the greatest translation in any language.

But the question were rather easy I think so it would be of great help if you can share some more OG qs. of 700+ level. BTW,Kudos for the article and look forward to seeing more qs. on this topic from you.

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Learn how That can help you demystify a long sentence [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 03:05
Expert's post
debayan222 wrote:
Hi Shradhha,
For the sentence in your article "Mary found certain evidence that even the Crime Scene Investigators (CSI) could not find." 'that' is a connector for sure.

But,had the sentence been "Mary found certain evidence that even could not be found by the Crime Scene Investigators (CSI)." then I think 'that' is modifying the noun 'evidence' through the purple clause and is the subject of the purple clause as per "Usage 1" mentioned in this article.

Hi Shradhha,
I'm awaiting you feedback on the above...! :)

Much appreciate your response.

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1298

Kudos [?]: 3665 [0], given: 185

Re: Learn how That can help you demystify a long sentence [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 10:16
Expert's post
debayan222 wrote:
debayan222 wrote:
Hi Shradhha,

Hi Shradhha,
I'm awaiting you feedback on the above...! :)

Much appreciate your response.

Hi Debayan,

Yes, you are absolutely correct.

Mary found certain evidence that even could not be found by the Crime Scene Investigators (CSI).

In this sentence, "that" is a relative pronoun as it modifies "clues" in the preceding IC.

Thanks. :)
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.82
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 72

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Learn how That can help you demystify a long sentence [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2014, 08:03
maaadhu wrote:
Can you please explain the use of THAT in this sentence. I am confused.

Astronomers have theorized that the Big Bang governs the behavior of interstellar dust, particles that comprise the atoms and molecules created in the progenitive explosion and persisting in even the emptiest regions of space.
a)persisting
b)persists
c)persisted
d)they persisted
e)are persisting

The OA is A.

Hi Sharaddha,

Can u explain this question.
Cl 1:Astronomers have theorized. . particles
Cl 2: that the Big Bang governs the behavior of interstellar dust ( That is the connecting word)
Cl 3: that comprise the atoms and molecules created in the progenitive explosion and ("That" is the sub)
Cl 4: persisting in even the emptiest regions of space - There is no subject in this clause

so i thot OA in D. But how come OA is A.

Please explain.

Thanks in Advance,
Rrsnathan.
Re: Learn how That can help you demystify a long sentence   [#permalink] 25 Jan 2014, 08:03