Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 01:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Learning how to build a nest plays an important part in the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 68 [1] , given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Learning how to build a nest plays an important part in the [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 11:26
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

85% (01:00) correct 15% (02:47) wrong based on 0 sessions
Learning how to build a nest plays an important part in the breeding success of birds. For example, Dr. Snow has recorded the success of a number of blackbirds in several successive years. He finds that birds nesting for the first time are less successful in breeding than are older birds, and also less successful than they themselves are a year later. This cannot be a mere matter of size and strength, since blackbirds, like the great majority of birds, are fully grown when they leave the nest. It is difficult to avoid the conclusion that they benefit by their nesting experience.

Which one of the following, if true, would most weaken the argument?
(A) Blackbirds build better nests than other birds.
(B) The capacity of blackbirds to lay viable eggs increases with each successive trial during the first few years of reproduction.
(C) The breeding success of birds nesting for the second time is greater than that of birds nesting for the first time.
(D) Smaller and weaker blackbirds breed just as successfully as bigger and stronger blackbirds.
(E) Up to 25 percent of all birds are killed by predators before they start to nest
Intern
Intern
Schools: IESE, SDA Bocconi
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 4

Re: breeding success of birds [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2009, 06:42
gurpreet07 wrote:
Learning how to build a nest plays an important part in the breeding success of birds. For example, Dr. Snow has recorded the success of a number of blackbirds in several successive years. He finds that birds nesting for the first time are less successful in breeding than are older birds, and also less successful than they themselves are a year later. This cannot be a mere matter of size and strength, since blackbirds, like the great majority of birds, are fully grown when they leave the nest. It is difficult to avoid the conclusion that they benefit by their nesting experience.

Which one of the following, if true, would most weaken the argument?
(A) Blackbirds build better nests than other birds.
(B) The capacity of blackbirds to lay viable eggs increases with each successive trial during the first few years of reproduction.
(C) The breeding success of birds nesting for the second time is greater than that of birds nesting for the first time.
(D) Smaller and weaker blackbirds breed just as successfully as bigger and stronger blackbirds.
(E) Up to 25 percent of all birds are killed by predators before they start to nest

A - irrelevant; B - irrelevant; C - fact stated in the passage; D - seems correct; E - too wide "all birds".

IMO, D is the answer
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: breeding success of birds [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2009, 07:02
D could be the answer! But it is also a weak one because of the contruction and my guess this is not from any of the OGs. In fact the author is already dismiss the fact smaller birds cannot build good nest by stating "This cannot be a mere matter of size and strength". I guess A could a correct answer and that is what I would have chosen. Because if they already better in build nest, experience does not matter, they just better.

IMO A is the answer.

AO answer please.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: breeding success of birds [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2009, 08:29
srry none of you got it right
even i didn't..... :?

OA given is B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE: Analyst (Insurance)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: breeding success of birds [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2009, 09:06
I don’t really like any of these answers but I’m almost sure that D is not the OA. If the birds are fully grown by the time they build nests then this is irrelevant and the text even says it’s irrelevant. “This cannot be a mere matter of size and strength, since blackbirds, like the great majority of birds, are fully grown when they leave the nest.” I would choose B because laying more viable eggs could mean more “success” in mating. The argument doesn’t explicitly define success though.

B

He that is in me > he that is in the world. - source 1 John 4:4

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 42 [2] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: breeding success of birds [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2009, 09:07
This post received
KUDOS
The answer should be B.

The statement concludes that blackbirds benefit from their nesting experience, because they breed more successfully with each trial. However, if the capacity of blackbirds to lay viable eggs increases with age then it's not the experience that's affecting success of breeding. Instead it's an inherant biological factor that has nothing to do with experience.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: breeding success of birds [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2009, 09:20
11MBA wrote:
The answer should be B.

The statement concludes that blackbirds benefit from their nesting experience, because they breed more successfully with each trial. However, if the capacity of blackbirds to lay viable eggs increases with age then it's not the experience that's affecting success of breeding. Instead it's an inherant biological factor that has nothing to do with experience.

11MBA, you hit the hammer right on the target......
nice explanation.......

+1..though i already got the answer on my own
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: breeding success of birds [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2009, 16:28
B
When it asks for ^weaken^,we should ask "why the nesting exp only?" why not anything else but nesting ? this way we will attack the author's position that nesting exp only was the factor in success.
using this methodology, i was expecting some ans choice that talk abt anything but nesting n here is B that exactly does that.
examined once more and dismissed rest as incorrect

Posted from my mobile device Image
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: breeding success of birds [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2009, 19:18
vibhaj wrote:
B
When it asks for ^weaken^,we should ask "why the nesting exp only?" why not anything else but nesting ? this way we will attack the author's position that nesting exp only was the factor in success.
using this methodology, i was expecting some ans choice that talk abt anything but nesting n here is B that exactly does that.
examined once more and dismissed rest as incorrect

Posted from my mobile device Image

Nice approach...I will follow it next time whenever i get a weaken question.
thankss
Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: breeding success of birds [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2009, 23:20
Yep , try it. It works out many a times. And there is no bigger joy than seeing your framed answer as one of the possible answers. Some Gurus suggested this on this forum
:-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: breeding success of birds [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2009, 14:58
The weakens can always be a bit tricky.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Re: breeding success of birds [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2009, 15:15
vibhaj: Good tid-bit to attack weaken questions. Thank you.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Check-out the following:
---------------------------------------------------------------
1. Math Divisibility Test

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: breeding success of birds [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2009, 03:18
I'm still a bit confused. It's already mentioned in the argument that "birds nesting for the first time are less successful than they are a year later" i.e. age is also a factor, not just experience. B doesn't say anything new....
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: breeding success of birds [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2009, 09:28
is B the answer?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: breeding success of birds [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2009, 10:35
I believe it is.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: breeding success of birds [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2009, 11:59
Guys, those of you who got this wrong must seriously read PowerScore CR bible. Don't waste time and catch hold of that book immediately. There are specific rules you must follow to get to the answer.

Rule 1: Always identify the conclusion and premises. If you are not able to do that, rephrase the sentences in your words in your thoughts to make a cause and effect statement. The effect is your conclusion and the causes are the premises.
Rule 2: Strengthen, Weaken and Assumption questions more often than not impact the conclusion.
Rule 3: Particularly you must inculcate the ability of identifying the wrong answer options and the tricks used for them. Option C is a classic Shell game answer and Option D is a classic out-of-scope answer option.

If the conclusion, the first sentence of the given stimulus, claims that building better nests is the reason to successful breeding, to weaken it, all you have to do is look at the answer option that refutes it. How about improved fertility and vigor and not just better nests for successful breeding, is what that weakens the conclusion. Pretty straight forward, a weakening answer option attacks the conclusion that this is not all what it is, it could as well be something else.

I am AWESOME and it's gonna be LEGENDARY!!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: breeding success of birds [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2009, 15:49
Thanks for the explanation.
Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: breeding success of birds [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2009, 17:26
I found MGMAT's CR book quite useful as well. It's bit concise compared to the PowerScore CR bible.
my two cents .. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: breeding success of birds [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2009, 18:14
Is there any other source of difficult critical reasoning questions others than the last quarter of the OG books? I am close to exhausting all of those questions, but I feel I still need practice. I only got about 83% of all the CR questions in both OG#12 and verbal guide.
Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: breeding success of birds [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2009, 18:18
burnttwinky wrote:
Is there any other source of difficult critical reasoning questions others than the last quarter of the OG books? I am close to exhausting all of those questions, but I feel I still need practice. I only got about 83% of all the CR questions in both OG#12 and verbal guide.

You can try the 1000 CR questions. Mostly from LSAT and reasonably difficult.

just google for the document.

best,
Re: breeding success of birds   [#permalink] 22 Nov 2009, 18:18