Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 16:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Leaving Points on the Board (after 2 takes)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Leaving Points on the Board (after 2 takes) [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2011, 12:41
Does anyone else have a split that they wish they could combine into one score, and what did you do about it? I got a 44Q 41V on the first take (and knew my Q was fluke low because I flew through it) and a 50Q 38V on the second. If I'm low on the WE scale for Darden (I'll still be 25 at matriculation for 2012 with 3 years), would anyone advise I take in one more time in mid to late January and try to get a 750-760 before interviews? I was consistently in the 41-43 range on the V on my practice tests leading up to the test.

I've heard- from my MGMAT teacher- Tuck gives consideration to your best Q and best V, but I am not getting an app together for Tuck until next fall if I get dinged from Darden this year.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 122

Kudos [?]: 607 [0], given: 114

Re: Leaving Points on the Board (after 2 takes) [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2011, 13:39
Trying to get the your highest scores in both sections is like chasing a dream. The problem is that you spread yourself thin when you try to prepare your hardest for both. You've truly showed that you've mastered both Quant and Verbal, but it is always going to be tough to get your highest on test day. A Q50, V38 is an EXCELLENT Score, especially with that Q50. What is that? A 720? 730? I think that spending anymore time on the GMAT might show that your concentraiting on the wrong areas. Trying to grab a few extra points when you're already at or above average just shows that you're putting emphasis on the wrong areas. The GMAT is just one of many parts of your application. I know it can be tough to leave points behind, I for one was averaging Q50, V40, and def left some points in quant. But the time and effort necessary to improve just didn't make sense. 760s get rejected all the time, 680s make it in all the time, its all about the rest of your profile. I would advise not retaking unless you are 100% sure you can increase your score by 30-40 points, without this, I believe you'd be wasting your time that you could be spending on your app. The difference between a 720 and a 750 are minimal at best. Adcoms are gooing to check off the "Solid GMAT - Solid Quant" check box and then move onto the rest of your app. If you need any further proof, look at this calling all aplicants page for your desired schools: calling-all-darden-fall-2012-applicants-116617.html Look at the graph with the dots on it, and find the red ones. Those are people that were rejected and many had huge GMATs. You've got to bring it on the rest of your profile, and it might be time to concentrate your time elsewhere. Good luck! and let us know what you decide.

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Leaving Points on the Board (after 2 takes) [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2011, 14:12
Yeah, it's a 720. Great feedback! Thanks a lot. I was not thinking about anything but the rest of my application between now and Jan. 12, but I probably will not bother to retake regardless of outcome.

I really appreciate your input.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2326

Kudos [?]: 9471 [0], given: 3703

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Leaving Points on the Board (after 2 takes) [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2011, 14:45
Expert's post
720 is a great score.
I have to say - anyone who leaves a test center (myself included) always feels they could have gotten a higher score. I got 750 and I felt that next time I would definitely get a 770, and so on and on but the time comes to stop chasing numbers and focus on the essays & application. At 720, it is a much more important and demanding component.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Leaving Points on the Board (after 2 takes)   [#permalink] 29 Dec 2011, 14:45