Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 19:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Left-handed persons have an advantage over right-handed

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
6 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIT Madras
WE 1: 2+ years - Programming
WE 2: 3+ years - Product developement,
WE 3: 2+ years - Program management
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 155 [6] , given: 104

Left-handed persons have an advantage over right-handed [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2010, 00:27
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

40% (02:49) correct 60% (01:42) wrong based on 359 sessions
Left-handed persons have an advantage over right-handed persons on tasks that are controlled by the right hemisphere of the brain and painting, for most people, is a task mostly governed by the right hemisphere of the brain. However, left-handed persons contract viruses, such as influenza, more frequently than do right-handed persons.

The information above, if true, best supports which of the following hypotheses?

(A) There is a greater proportion of left-handed persons among painters than there is among non-painters.
(B) Most people who contract influenza or other viruses are left-handed rather than right-handed.
(C) If a left-handed person contracts a virus similar to influenza, that person will probably be a painter.
(D) Most left-handed painters are more susceptible to influenza than is the population as a whole.
(E) There are a greater proportion of left-handed persons among painters than there are right-handed persons among non-painters.

I am not sure I agree with the answer. What do you guys think?
Don't forget KUDOS if you like the post.

[Reveal] Spoiler: expln
Explanation:
ID Question Type and Task
Something that is supported by the argument is an inference.

This question is an inference question. Therefore the task is to find an inevitable conclusion from information given. Find what must be true.

Read the Argument and Extract Necessary Information:

In inference questions:

Note how specific the topics are, watch out for percents versus numbers, look for the logical combination of two points.

Known:
Lefties have an advantage on tasks controlled by the right side of the brain
Painting is controlled by the right side of the brain
Lefties get viruses more frequently

Formulate an Answer to the Question
There are 2 possible answers that should spring to mind based on the facts presented:

1. Lefties have advantage on right brain functions + painting is right brain function = lefties have advantage in painting.

2. Lefties contract viruses more frequently + lefties have advantage in right brain functions + painting is right brain function = people with advantage painting contract viruses more frequently.

Eliminate Answer Choices:
(A) Close in to what we said- Keep.

(B) Not true we know lefties contract more often but what if there are significantly fewer lefties in the world? If that is the case than most who contract would be righty but lefties might still contract more often, thus this does not have to be true – eliminate.

(C) The argument gives no indication that there is a cause and effect link between contracting viruses and painting, thus this does not have to be true – eliminate.

(D) The argument makes no mention of the sub group "left-handed painters". You are told that lefties in general contract viruses more often but not whether left-handed painters do so more often than other left-handers or other sub-groups of lefties, thus this does not have to be true – eliminate.

(E) The argument gives no information about non-painters, thus this does not have to be true – eliminate.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by WaterFlowsUp on 06 Nov 2013, 12:45, edited 1 time in total.
OA modified
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 7

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Lefty painters [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2010, 18:11
i will go with A. Gud question.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 155 [1] , given: 104

Re: Lefty painters [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2010, 22:17
This post received
KUDOS
How do we know that A is correct for sure? Though lefties are good at painting need not necessarily mean that they will take up painting right? And before a lefty starts painting he/she will not know if he/she will be good at it and so just because someone is left handed does not mean they are naturally inclined to paint.
On the other hand D says, the left handed ppl who are painters are more susceptible to viruses, which follows straight from the stem.
any comments?
Whiplash or Ian stewart?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 62 [1] , given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: Lefty painters [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 01:32
This post received
KUDOS
I feel its D. And for A , I have similar reasons as given by hemanthp.
4 KUDOS received
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 253

Kudos [?]: 653 [4] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Lefty painters [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 10:12
This post received
KUDOS
That OE quoted above is just nonsense. If that's from a prep company, find better material to work from.

Quote:
This question is an inference question. Therefore the task is to find an inevitable conclusion from information given.

This is a distortion of what the question asks. We're asked to decide "which of the following hypotheses" is "best supported" by the information given. That is *not* the same thing as finding an "inevitable conclusion"; if a conclusion is 'inevitable', we don't need to introduce any additional assumptions. A conclusion can be 'supported' by the information provided we any assumptions we make are reasonable. There is no answer choice here which is an 'inevitable conclusion' from the information given; we're going to need to introduce assumptions, and we need to be sure our assumptions are reasonable.

Quote:
There are 2 possible answers that should spring to mind based on the facts presented:

1. Lefties have advantage on right brain functions + painting is right brain function = lefties have advantage in painting.

A isn't 'close' to what they said at all. Lefties have an advantage at painting; that does not mean that more lefties become painters. For A to be a good answer, you need to make enormous assumptions here: you first would need to assume that people end up doing things they're good at, but second, you'd need to assume that there aren't other things lefties are better at that they might pursue instead of painting. That lefties are better at "right-brained" tasks suggests that lefties might be better than righties at all kinds of tasks, some of which might be more attractive to them than painting. In all, A is really far-fetched. If we can find an answer that requires us to assume less, it will be a better answer.

Quote:
(D) The argument makes no mention of the sub group "left-handed painters". You are told that lefties in general contract viruses more often but not whether left-handed painters do so more often than other left-handers or other sub-groups of lefties, thus this does not have to be true – eliminate.

We aren't asked to find something which 'must be true' here; we only need to find the hypothesis 'best supported by the
information' given. D is perfectly well supported provided we assume that lefthanded painters are as susceptible to influenza as are lefthanded non-painters. That seems to me to be a perfectly reasonable assumption - why would choosing to become a painter influence your susceptibility to influenza? D is certainly a more reasonable answer than A here. I'd add - D does not need to be true here, since we'd need to introduce an assumption to reach D as a conclusion. But it's certainly the most reasonable of the five answer choices.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 5

Re: Lefty painters [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2010, 06:31
The only way that A is a better answer than D is if "the population" referred to in D is the entire population of left-handed people, rather than the entire population of ALL people. I interpreted it to mean the entire population of ALL people. But if it is indeed supposed to mean the entire population of LEFT-HANDED PEOPLE, then A is clearly a better answer.

D needs to be worded more clearly, as I suspect that's what they mean. For example, if it said:

Quote:
(D) Most left-handed painters are more susceptible to influenza than is the population of all left-handed persons.

Then the answer would be a clear A.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 155 [1] , given: 104

Re: Lefty painters [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2010, 08:44
This post received
KUDOS
Hmm.. thejay, even in the case you mentioned, it wouldn't make A any better.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 12

Re: Lefty painters [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2010, 09:38
I went for D :-?
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 6 Year, Telecom(GSM)

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: Lefty painters [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2010, 10:33
i also went for D.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Lefty painters [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2011, 09:34
Bad question. B....t logic in OE
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Lefty painters [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2011, 21:48
uh la la...i got it rite

D it is!!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 24

Re: Lefty painters [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2011, 00:15
looks like D.. A doesnt sound better even tho there is some ambiguity on the population front
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Aidha
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V27
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 43

GMAT Tests User
Re: Lefty painters [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2011, 05:26
I will still go with A. D sounds somewhat extreme when it says that "most" left handed people are more susceptible to influenza than total population. However, we have to form a hypothesis and from A we can clearly say that if everyone who could paint, paints, then we will have more painters who are left handed.

Any thoughts on this one?

If my post did a dance in your mind, send me the steps through kudos :)

My MBA journey at http://mbadilemma.wordpress.com/

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: Lefty painters [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2011, 16:37
IMO D
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Lefty painters [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2011, 00:22
I will go with D.

A is absolutely incorrect because it requires you to make the assumption : If you have advantage at doing something, you will do that. ie If left handed people have advantage at painting, most painters are left handed. Assumptions are a big No-No in Inference questions.

D on the other hand is most plausible because it reduces the playing field to only left-handed painters. That, combined with the propensity of left handed people to contract viruses, makes choice D most plausible.

Crick
SVP
SVP
Followers: 230

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Left-handed persons have an advantage over right-handed [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2013, 20:13
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 152 [1] , given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Left-handed persons have an advantage over right-handed [#permalink] New post 27 May 2014, 07:15
This post received
KUDOS
hemanthp wrote:
Left-handed persons have an advantage over right-handed persons on tasks that are controlled by the right hemisphere of the brain and painting, for most people, is a task mostly governed by the right hemisphere of the brain. However, left-handed persons contract viruses, such as influenza, more frequently than do right-handed persons.

The information above, if true, best supports which of the following hypotheses?

(A) There is a greater proportion of left-handed persons among painters than there is among non-painters.
(B) Most people who contract influenza or other viruses are left-handed rather than right-handed.
(C) If a left-handed person contracts a virus similar to influenza, that person will probably be a painter.
(D) Most left-handed painters are more susceptible to influenza than is the population as a whole.
(E) There are a greater proportion of left-handed persons among painters than there are right-handed persons among non-painters.

I am not sure I agree with the answer. What do you guys think?
Don't forget KUDOS if you like the post.

[Reveal] Spoiler: expln
Explanation:
ID Question Type and Task
Something that is supported by the argument is an inference.

This question is an inference question. Therefore the task is to find an inevitable conclusion from information given. Find what must be true.

Read the Argument and Extract Necessary Information:

In inference questions:

Note how specific the topics are, watch out for percents versus numbers, look for the logical combination of two points.

Known:
Lefties have an advantage on tasks controlled by the right side of the brain
Painting is controlled by the right side of the brain
Lefties get viruses more frequently

Formulate an Answer to the Question

2. Lefties contract viruses more frequently + lefties have advantage in right brain functions + painting is right brain function = people with advantage painting contract viruses more frequently.

(B) Not true we know lefties contract more often but what if there are significantly fewer lefties in the world? If that is the case than most who contract would be righty but lefties might still contract more often, thus this does not have to be true – eliminate.

(C) The argument gives no indication that there is a cause and effect link between contracting viruses and painting, thus this does not have to be true – eliminate.

(E) The argument gives no information about non-painters, thus this does not have to be true – eliminate.

(A) There is a greater proportion of left-handed persons among painters than there is among non-painters. STIMULUS SAYS THEY HAVE AN ADVANTAGE NOT THAT THERE ARE MORE NUMEROUS - WRONG
(B) Most people who contract influenza or other viruses are left-handed rather than right-handed - STIMULUS SAYS MORE SUSCEPTIBLE, MAYBE THEY NEVER CONTRACT THE VIRUSES - WRONG
(C) If a left-handed person contracts a virus similar to influenza, that person will probably be a painter- NOT AT ALL- WRONG
(D) Most left-handed painters are more susceptible to influenza than is the population as a whole.- THIS HAS TO BE TRUE, THERE ARE MORE SUSCEPTIBLE THAN RIGHT HANDED, THEREFORE, THEY ARE MORE SUSCEPTIBLE IN POPULATION AS A WHOLE AS POP = RH+LH- CORRECT
(E) There are a greater proportion of left-handed persons among painters than there are right-handed persons among non-painters- AGAIN STIMULUS SAYS THEY HAVE AN ADVANTAGE, NOT THAT THEY ARE MORE NUMEROUS- WRONG

Hope it helps
Re: Left-handed persons have an advantage over right-handed   [#permalink] 27 May 2014, 07:15