Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 04:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Left-handed persons suffer more frequently than do

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 268
Location: India
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 25

Left-handed persons suffer more frequently than do [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2010, 16:47
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

63% (02:33) correct 37% (01:56) wrong based on 92 sessions
Left-handed persons suffer more frequently than do right-handed persons from certain immune disorders, such as allergies. Left-handers tend to have an advantage over the right-handed majority, however, on tasks controlled by the right hemisphere of the brain, and mathematical reasoning is strongly under the influence of the right hemisphere in most people.
If the information above is true, it best supports which of the following hypotheses?
(A) Most people who suffer from allergies or other such immune disorders are left-handed rather than right-handed.
(B) Most left-handed mathematicians suffer from some kind of allergy.
(C) There are proportionally more left-handers among people whose ability to reason mathematically is above average than there are among people with poor mathematical reasoning ability.
(D) If a left-handed person suffers from an allergy, that person will probably be good at mathematics.
(E) There are proportionally more people who suffer from immune disorders such as allergies than there are people who are left-handed or people whose mathematical reasoning ability is unusually good.
_________________

Cheers,
SD

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Feb 2005
Posts: 274
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 1

Re: Left-handed persons suffer [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2010, 17:04
Left-handed persons suffer more frequently than do right-handed persons from certain immune disorders, such as allergies. Left-handers tend to have an advantage over the right-handed majority, however, on tasks controlled by the right hemisphere of the brain, and mathematical reasoning is strongly under the influence of the right hemisphere in most people.
If the information above is true, it best supports which of the following hypotheses?
P1 - LH people suffer > RH (certain immune disorders) Allergies
P2 - LH Advantage over RH people (tasks controlled by right side of the brain) Math reasoning (Right side of brain)

(A) Most people who suffer from allergies or other such immune disorders are left-handed rather than right-handed.
(B) Most left-handed mathematicians suffer from some kind of allergy. BEST ANSWER
(C) There are proportionally more left-handers among people whose ability to reason mathematically is above average than there are among people with poor mathematical reasoning ability.

(D) If a left-handed person suffers from an allergy, that person will probably be good at mathematics.
The argument does not state the corelation between allergy and good math skills
(E) There are proportionally more people who suffer from immune disorders such as allergies than there are people who are left-handed or people whose mathematical reasoning ability is unusually good.
The argument does not mention that there are more people who suffer from immune disorders.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Jul 2009
Posts: 225
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 6

Re: Left-handed persons suffer [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2010, 09:32
I'm going to go with C. What's the OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 268
Location: India
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 25

Re: Left-handed persons suffer [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2010, 11:55
OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

_________________

Cheers,
SD

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 268
Location: India
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 25

Re: Left-handed persons suffer [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2010, 11:57
axl_oz wrote:
Left-handed persons suffer more frequently than do right-handed persons from certain immune disorders, such as allergies. Left-handers tend to have an advantage over the right-handed majority, however, on tasks controlled by the right hemisphere of the brain, and mathematical reasoning is strongly under the influence of the right hemisphere in most people.
If the information above is true, it best supports which of the following hypotheses?
P1 - LH people suffer > RH (certain immune disorders) Allergies
P2 - LH Advantage over RH people (tasks controlled by right side of the brain) Math reasoning (Right side of brain)

(A) Most people who suffer from allergies or other such immune disorders are left-handed rather than right-handed.
(B) Most left-handed mathematicians suffer from some kind of allergy. BEST ANSWER SudiptoGmat --- dont confuse most with frequently
(C) There are proportionally more left-handers among people whose ability to reason mathematically is above average than there are among people with poor mathematical reasoning ability. LH people get more advantage over RH people. So, they will be better in maths on average

(D) If a left-handed person suffers from an allergy, that person will probably be good at mathematics.
The argument does not state the corelation between allergy and good math skills
(E) There are proportionally more people who suffer from immune disorders such as allergies than there are people who are left-handed or people whose mathematical reasoning ability is unusually good.
The argument does not mention that there are more people who suffer from immune disorders.

_________________

Cheers,
SD

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Jan 2010
Posts: 26
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Left-handed persons suffer [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2010, 23:11
C
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2007
Posts: 956
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 733 [0], given: 40

Re: Left-handed persons suffer [#permalink] New post 24 May 2010, 04:57
I am confused b/w C and D.

D is also showing uncertaininty and passes the facts test as per the given passage. Can you please explain more on why D is wrong?

SudiptoGmat wrote:
axl_oz wrote:
Left-handed persons suffer more frequently than do right-handed persons from certain immune disorders, such as allergies. Left-handers tend to have an advantage over the right-handed majority, however, on tasks controlled by the right hemisphere of the brain, and mathematical reasoning is strongly under the influence of the right hemisphere in most people.
If the information above is true, it best supports which of the following hypotheses?
P1 - LH people suffer > RH (certain immune disorders) Allergies
P2 - LH Advantage over RH people (tasks controlled by right side of the brain) Math reasoning (Right side of brain)

(A) Most people who suffer from allergies or other such immune disorders are left-handed rather than right-handed.
(B) Most left-handed mathematicians suffer from some kind of allergy. BEST ANSWER SudiptoGmat --- dont confuse most with frequently
(C) There are proportionally more left-handers among people whose ability to reason mathematically is above average than there are among people with poor mathematical reasoning ability. LH people get more advantage over RH people. So, they will be better in maths on average

(D) If a left-handed person suffers from an allergy, that person will probably be good at mathematics.
The argument does not state the corelation between allergy and good math skills
(E) There are proportionally more people who suffer from immune disorders such as allergies than there are people who are left-handed or people whose mathematical reasoning ability is unusually good.
The argument does not mention that there are more people who suffer from immune disorders.

_________________

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Jun 2007
Posts: 75
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Left-handed persons suffer [#permalink] New post 24 May 2010, 22:49
ykaiim wrote:
I am confused b/w C and D.

D is also showing uncertaininty and passes the facts test as per the given passage. Can you please explain more on why D is wrong?

SudiptoGmat wrote:
axl_oz wrote:
Left-handed persons suffer more frequently than do right-handed persons from certain immune disorders, such as allergies. Left-handers tend to have an advantage over the right-handed majority, however, on tasks controlled by the right hemisphere of the brain, and mathematical reasoning is strongly under the influence of the right hemisphere in most people.
If the information above is true, it best supports which of the following hypotheses?
P1 - LH people suffer > RH (certain immune disorders) Allergies
P2 - LH Advantage over RH people (tasks controlled by right side of the brain) Math reasoning (Right side of brain)

(A) Most people who suffer from allergies or other such immune disorders are left-handed rather than right-handed.
(B) Most left-handed mathematicians suffer from some kind of allergy. BEST ANSWER SudiptoGmat --- dont confuse most with frequently
(C) There are proportionally more left-handers among people whose ability to reason mathematically is above average than there are among people with poor mathematical reasoning ability. LH people get more advantage over RH people. So, they will be better in maths on average

(D) If a left-handed person suffers from an allergy, that person will probably be good at mathematics.
The argument does not state the corelation between allergy and good math skills
(E) There are proportionally more people who suffer from immune disorders such as allergies than there are people who are left-handed or people whose mathematical reasoning ability is unusually good.
The argument does not mention that there are more people who suffer from immune disorders.



need some expert comments over here .
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Jun 2007
Posts: 75
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Left-handed persons suffer [#permalink] New post 25 May 2010, 06:16
Also please explain what does this statement means Left-handers tend to have an advantage over the right-handed majority, however, on tasks controlled by the right hemisphere of the brain, and mathematical reasoning is strongly under the influence of the right hemisphere in most people.

Does this means that LH have advantage over RH but they(LH) are not good in the mathematical reasoning and other task that are controlled by the right hemisphere of the brain ?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2004
Posts: 178
Location: Singapore
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Left-handed persons suffer [#permalink] New post 25 May 2010, 06:54
C.

Carefully assess the modifiers such as more, most etc.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2010
Posts: 1560
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 6

Re: Left-handed persons suffer [#permalink] New post 27 May 2010, 10:58
Left-handed persons suffer more frequently than do right-handed persons from certain immune disorders, such as allergies. Left-handers tend to have an advantage over the right-handed majority, however, on tasks controlled by the right hemisphere of the brain, and mathematical reasoning is strongly under the influence of the right hemisphere in most people.

If the information above is true, it best supports which of the following hypotheses?

(A) Most people who suffer from allergies or other such immune disorders are left-handed rather than right-handed. - the argument more LH suffer from allery not that most people who suffer from allergies are LH. Argument If A then B and this option says If B then A. incorrect

(B) Most left-handed mathematicians suffer from some kind of allergy. - most LH suffer from allergies not most LH mathematicians suffer from allergies

(C) There are proportionally more left-handers among people whose ability to reason mathematically is above average than there are among people with poor mathematical reasoning ability. (correct) - argument says LH have advantage on tasks controlled by the right hemisphere of the brain, and mathematical reasoning is strongly under the influence of the right hemisphere.

(D) If a left-handed person suffers from an allergy, that person will probably be good at mathematics. - Argument says LH suffers frequently from allergies and LH have advantage on tasks controlled by right hemisphere...and so good in mathematics....that does not mean that if a LH has allergy, he is also good at mathematics.

(E) There are proportionally more people who suffer from immune disorders such as allergies than there are people who are left-handed or people whose mathematical reasoning ability is unusually good. - irrelevant
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: mba here i come!
Joined: 07 Aug 2011
Posts: 271
Location: Pakistan
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Insead '13 (M)
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 722 [0], given: 48

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Left-handed persons suffer [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2012, 06:31
ykaiim wrote:
I am confused b/w C and D.

D is also showing uncertaininty and passes the facts test as per the given passage. Can you please explain more on why D is wrong?


note that this is basically a must be true question, so you can't introduce 'new' information. you need to infer from whatever info is already available in the passage.

D introduces a 'new' condition that IF left-handed people are ill THEN that person will probably be good at maths.
_________________

press +1 Kudos to appreciate posts
Download Valuable Collection of Percentage Questions (PS/DS)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Nov 2010
Posts: 268
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 520 Q42 V19
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V21
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 22

Re: Left-handed persons suffer [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2012, 01:30
jn.mohit wrote:
Also please explain what does this statement means Left-handers tend to have an advantage over the right-handed majority, however, on tasks controlled by the right hemisphere of the brain, and mathematical reasoning is strongly under the influence of the right hemisphere in most people.

Does this means that LH have advantage over RH but they(LH) are not good in the mathematical reasoning and other task that are controlled by the right hemisphere of the brain ?



No, It means LH have advantage over RH majority, Despite, on tasks controlled by the right hemisphere of the brain, and mathematical reasoning is strongly under the influence of the right hemisphere in most people.

LH have advantage,however tasks controlled by the right hemisphere of the brain.....
_________________

The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Sep 2011
Posts: 209
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 8

Re: Left-handed persons suffer more frequently than do [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2012, 05:12
The answer choices B and C are close. But I think C is the better one as it clearly says that LH have advantage on tasks controlled by the right hemisphere of the brain and mathematical reasoning is under the influence of the right hemisphere.
_________________

_________________
Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Feb 2010
Posts: 459
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 5

Re: Left-handed persons suffer more frequently than do [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2012, 07:13
Reasons to eliminate the remaining answers:

(A) Most people who suffer from allergies or other such immune disorders are left-handed rather than right-handed.
That left-handers suffer from allergies more frequently than right-handers does not imply that most allergy sufferers are left-handed.

(B) Most left-handed mathematicians suffer from some kind of allergy.
The passage tells us nothing about mathematicians

(D) If a left-handed person suffers from an allergy, that person will probably be good at mathematics.
The passage links left-handers to allergies and to mathematical ability. It does not link allergies to mathematical ability.

(E) There are proportionally more people who suffer from immune disorders such as allergies than there are people who are left-handed or people whose mathematical reasoning ability is unusually good.
The passage does not tell us what fraction of the population suffers from allergies.


Hence C
_________________

GGG (Gym / GMAT / Girl) -- Be Serious

Its your duty to post OA afterwards; some one must be waiting for that...

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Feb 2010
Posts: 459
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 5

Re: Left-handed persons suffer more frequently than do [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2012, 07:14
abhi47 wrote:
The answer choices B and C are close. But I think C is the better one as it clearly says that LH have advantage on tasks controlled by the right hemisphere of the brain and mathematical reasoning is under the influence of the right hemisphere.



Hi,

The passage tells us nothing about mathematicians, we can eliminate B easily.
_________________

GGG (Gym / GMAT / Girl) -- Be Serious

Its your duty to post OA afterwards; some one must be waiting for that...

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Jan 2012
Posts: 50
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: Left-handed persons suffer more frequently than do [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2012, 14:35
The argument just states that left handed people suffer from allergies frequently not that most of them have allergies. So B is wrong .

C is the right answer because its true according to the text.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Mar 2013
Posts: 31
GPA: 3.78
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Left-handed persons suffer more frequently than do [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2013, 07:52
Why don't you rule out C because it does not talk about allergies
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Persevering
Joined: 15 May 2013
Posts: 224
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Left-handed persons suffer more frequently than do [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2013, 08:51
Policarpa wrote:
Why don't you rule out C because it does not talk about allergies


It is C because all other options are wrong.

Left-handed persons suffer more frequently(does not mean more in number or proportionally) than do right-handed persons from certain immune disorders, such as allergies. Left-handers tend to have an advantage over the right-handed majority, however, on tasks controlled by the right hemisphere of the brain, and mathematical reasoning is strongly under the influence of the right hemisphere in most people.
If the information above is true, it best supports which of the following hypotheses?
(A) Most people who suffer from allergies or other such immune disorders are left-handed rather than right-handed. Incorrect see the bold portion above
(B) Most left-handed mathematicians suffer from some kind of allergy. Incorrect see the bold portion above, more frequently not more in number
(C) There are proportionally more left-handers among people whose ability to reason mathematically is above average than there are among people with poor mathematical reasoning ability. Correct this is explicitly stated in the second half of the argument.
(D) If a left-handed person suffers from an allergy, that person will probably be good at mathematics. Not implied anywhere
(E) There are proportionally more people who suffer from immune disorders such as allergies than there are people who are left-handed or people whose mathematical reasoning ability is unusually good. Incorrect.
_________________

--It's one thing to get defeated, but another to accept it.

Re: Left-handed persons suffer more frequently than do   [#permalink] 21 Oct 2013, 08:51
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Left-handed persons suffer more frequently than do milind1979 6 29 Mar 2009, 17:28
1 Left-handed persons suffer more frequently than do GODSPEED 11 05 Nov 2008, 22:18
Experts publish their posts in the topic Left-handed persons suffer more frequently than do Vavali 2 14 Mar 2008, 14:46
Left-handed persons suffer more frequently than do Path 5 06 Oct 2007, 13:50
Left-handed persons suffer more frequently than do ayushi 8 26 Oct 2006, 11:53
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Left-handed persons suffer more frequently than do

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.