Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 07:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Left my first job after only 3 months - need to explain?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Left my first job after only 3 months - need to explain? [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2005, 08:20
hi there, i'm hoping you might have some suggestions for my situation ....

during undergrad, i interned for a major bank in Chicago (after my junior year). after completing the program, they offered me a full-time position upon graduation - but i decided to shop around before accepting. (i was also considering law school.)

i ended up taking a position w/ Arthur Andersen (accepted prior to graduation). my start date was to be 10/2001. i lived at home w/ my family, worked as a waitress from 5/2001 - 9/2001 ... then moved to Chicago, got an apartment, etc ....

well, the start date was then pushed back to 1/2002. (i'm sure you see where this is headed! ;)) i picked up a temp position at an insurance firm - just to pay the bills, stay busy, etc.

Arthur Andersen called again in Nov/Dec 2001 and gave me an ultimatum: stay on the wait list (no guarantee i would EVER start and no set start date) OR take a sizeable amount of $ and walk away.

i was SHOCKED. i didn't think i would lose my first job before i ever started it!

needless to say, i parted ways w/ AA. it was the best decision i have ever made, as the Enron scandal unfolded just months later.

obviously, i was desperate for a "real" job. all of my peers had already started their careers, and i now i was scrambling.

i accepted a position as a statistical analyst at a major, well-known firm - but it was located in the suburbs and the $ was NOT GOOD. to make matters worse, the job was not as described. my manager was absent, not hands on, etc. i received little to no training. the work was extremely isolating (no interaction) and tactical. i was unhappy.

i made some calls to some old friends at the bank at which i interned (during college). after a few conversations and an interview, they offered me a fabulous position doing EXACTLY what i love to do, good $, etc.

i left my position at the firm in the burbs after only 3 months. my manager was understanding when i explained how i felt, etc.

i have now been working at the bank for a little over 3 years. i am HAPPY here and have really developed my career.

and now i am applying to part-time MBA programs ....
and i want to know if i need to explain WHY i was only at my first FT position for 3 months?

if so, i don't really want to work an explanation of this "flaw" into my essays. so i think these are my choices:
1) add an additional statement (on a separate page) stating why i left, etc.
2) on the employment history form, i can list "reason for leaving." should i keep it short and simple and NOT go into detail? (i would only mention my reason for leaving in this area of my application.)

also on the employment history, should i list my waitressing position after college? or is this tacky?
i could explain that i moved to Chicago to start my position w/ Arthur Andersen under "reason for leaving" the waitressing position ... ?

ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 313 [0], given: 63

GMAT Tests User
Re: Left my first job after only 3 months - need to explain? [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2005, 17:53
Expert's post
ceg wrote:
hi there, i'm hoping you might have some suggestions for my situation ....

during undergrad, i interned for a major bank in Chicago (after my junior year). after completing the program, they offered me a full-time position upon graduation - but i decided to shop around before accepting. (i was also considering law school.)

i ended up taking a position w/ Arthur Andersen (accepted prior to graduation). my start date was to be 10/2001. i lived at home w/ my family, worked as a waitress from 5/2001 - 9/2001 ... then moved to Chicago, got an apartment, etc ....

well, the start date was then pushed back to 1/2002. (i'm sure you see where this is headed! ;)) i picked up a temp position at an insurance firm - just to pay the bills, stay busy, etc.

Arthur Andersen called again in Nov/Dec 2001 and gave me an ultimatum: stay on the wait list (no guarantee i would EVER start and no set start date) OR take a sizeable amount of $ and walk away.

i was SHOCKED. i didn't think i would lose my first job before i ever started it!

needless to say, i parted ways w/ AA. it was the best decision i have ever made, as the Enron scandal unfolded just months later.

obviously, i was desperate for a "real" job. all of my peers had already started their careers, and i now i was scrambling.

i accepted a position as a statistical analyst at a major, well-known firm - but it was located in the suburbs and the $ was NOT GOOD. to make matters worse, the job was not as described. my manager was absent, not hands on, etc. i received little to no training. the work was extremely isolating (no interaction) and tactical. i was unhappy.

i made some calls to some old friends at the bank at which i interned (during college). after a few conversations and an interview, they offered me a fabulous position doing EXACTLY what i love to do, good $, etc.

i left my position at the firm in the burbs after only 3 months. my manager was understanding when i explained how i felt, etc.

i have now been working at the bank for a little over 3 years. i am HAPPY here and have really developed my career.

and now i am applying to part-time MBA programs ....
and i want to know if i need to explain WHY i was only at my first FT position for 3 months?

if so, i don't really want to work an explanation of this "flaw" into my essays. so i think these are my choices:
1) add an additional statement (on a separate page) stating why i left, etc.
2) on the employment history form, i can list "reason for leaving." should i keep it short and simple and NOT go into detail? (i would only mention my reason for leaving in this area of my application.)

also on the employment history, should i list my waitressing position after college? or is this tacky?
i could explain that i moved to Chicago to start my position w/ Arthur Andersen under "reason for leaving" the waitressing position ... ?

ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

Under "Reason for Leaving" provide a simple explanation that the bank job was a growth opportunity more inline with your goals and with higher pay and greater responsibility. Keep it short, sweet, and simple. You don't need to write an essay for this.

Regarding the waitress position, I don't think it makes much difference, but I would probably list it. Yes under reason for leaving "Moved to Chicago to start at Arthur Anderson, but position that didn't materialize." They'll figure out the rest.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog