Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 12:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Legislation in the Canadian province of Ontario requires of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 8

Re: Legislation in the Canadian province of Ontario [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2010, 05:24
Tommy, according to MGMAT SC. I thought "require" is one of those verbs that can take EITHER command subjunctive or the Infinitive.

We require that he be here
We require him to be here

I believe both are correct?
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 338

Kudos [?]: 730 [0], given: 11

Re: Legislation in the Canadian province of Ontario [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2010, 13:28
Hey Lonewolf,

This is a tough one. You're absolutely right that the MGMAT SC Guide states as a correct sentence: "She requires that her friend do work." I feel certain that this construction is not used anymore, though it still may be considered grammatically correct. I'll have to ask around. However, I did say in my explanation that "require" can be used both ways. I merely specified that we don't use the subjunctive format transitively anymore (transitively = with a direct object).

"We require that he be here" is not correct in my opinion, because you can't put an active subject in front of the the verb when used in the subjunctive. "It is required that he be here" is correct, but I don't believe I can "require that you be somewhere".

"We require him to be here" is entirely correct as is.

I will check on this difference, because I wouldn't want to steer you wrong.

-tommy

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 8

Re: Legislation in the Canadian province of Ontario [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2010, 03:44
Hi Tommy,

Thank you for checking the answer on this. As a matter of fact, I am still quite confused on the explanation. Sorry it is not sinking in yet!!
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 338

Kudos [?]: 730 [0], given: 11

Re: Legislation in the Canadian province of Ontario [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2010, 11:28
Hey Lonewolf,

So I've done my research, and yes, that version IS considered okay: "I require that you be here". Darnit! : )

It doesn't change the answer, however, or my explanation. Can I help further?

-tommy

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 259 [0], given: 2

Re: Legislation in the Canadian province of Ontario [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2010, 10:02
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey Lonewolf,

So I've done my research, and yes, that version IS considered okay: "I require that you be here". Darnit! : )

It doesn't change the answer, however, or my explanation. Can I help further?

-tommy

What do you mean? You did research and what? require to do sth is correct or only require that + inf (wo to) is correct?

Thanks.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 6

Re: Legislation in the Canadian province of Ontario [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2010, 13:41
Hey Tommy, your explanation for option (D)

(D) to pay the same regardless of whether a job was historically held by women or is one demanding comparable skills
PROBLEM: The "to" is wrong for the subjunctive construction. Also the parallelism is wrong. The wrong two things are being compared.

I understood the "to" part but I did not understand how two wrong things are compared. I thought the comparison is between a job and a job. please explain

"pay the same regardless of whether a job was historically held by women or is one (a job) demanding comparaing skills that are usually held by men"
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 38

Re: Legislation in the Canadian province of Ontario [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 05:54
Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross 2013
WE 1: Pharmaceutical industry 5 years, C level

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Legislation in the Canadian province of Ontario [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 09:49
TommyWallach,

thanks for a great explanation
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 3

Re: Legislation in the Canadian province of Ontario [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2010, 00:08
I was confused between A and C.

(A) that pay be the same for jobs historically held by women as for jobs requiring comparable skill that are - Seemed right at the first go but then I was confused as to whether "that" here is referring to "skill" or "jobs". A second thought made me realize that "that" is followed by "are" and so it has to refer to jobs and not skill.
Hence the answer.

(C) to pay the same in jobs historically held by women as in jobs of comparable skill that are - is the use of "in" incorrect here?
SVP
SVP

Re: Legislation in the Canadian province of Ontario [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2010, 02:21
TommyWallach wrote:
Both are kosher. : )

-t

so the only issue with C is that "in jobs" is not the correct idiom?

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 17

Re: Legislation in the Canadian province of Ontario [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2010, 06:28
3. Legislation in the Canadian province of Ontario requires of both public and private employers that pay be the same for jobs historically held by women as for jobs requiring comparable skill that are usually held by men.

(A) [color=#4000FF]that
pay be the same for jobs historically held by women as for jobs requiring comparable skill that are
Correct-subjunctive mood, parralellism:jobs//jobs, "that" correctly modifies jobs.
(B) that pay for jobs historically held by women should be the same as for a job requiring comparable skills
(C) to pay the same in jobs historically held by women as in jobs of comparable skill that are correct wording is to pay for jobs vs. to pay in jobs
(D) to pay the same regardless of whether a job was historically held by women or is one demanding comparable skills. jobs are held by women, not a job. not parrallel. .... whether a job was historically held by women or demands comparable skills would be correct as "is" is parralel to demands. In D, "that" modifies rather skills, so it changes the meaning slighly.
(E) to pay as much for jobs historically held by women as for a job demanding comparable skills [/color]
a job is not parralell to jobs.

Hard work is the main determinant of success

Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB, Hass, Ross, NYU Stern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 24

Re: Legislation in the Canadian province of Ontario [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 13:36
if you were wondering, what does Natia's signature line, 'Las cualidades del agua...porque el agua no olvida que su destino es el mar, y que tarde o temprano deberá llegar a él', mean...

Here it is...
The qualities of the water ... because the water does not forget that their destination is the sea, and that sooner or later it must be reached.
SVP
SVP

Re: Legislation in the Canadian province of Ontario [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2010, 02:43
noboru wrote:
TommyWallach wrote:
Both are kosher. : )

-t

so the only issue with C is that "in jobs" is not the correct idiom?

could anybody explain what's wrong with C?
Thanks

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Legislation in the Canadian province of Ontario [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2010, 23:41
I picked Answer C), but "should be" is redundant along with the aforementioned idiom problem, "pay in same jobs."
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 265

Kudos [?]: 1639 [0], given: 249

Re: Legislation in the Canadian province of Ontario [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2010, 01:24
Expert's post
IMO, while both the subjunctive mood and infinitive form are usable depending upon the construction, the sentence sould also hold good other secondary parameters.

In the given case, choices containing the infinitive form of ‘to pay’ are not sustainable for reasons of wrong idiom, or modification or llism
C suffers from a host of such problems Employers pay for the jibs and not in the jobs. Additionally what does the relative pronoun 'that' stands for? Skill or jobs? If it is the singular skill, there is a serous SV mismatch because the subordinate verb ‘require’ is plural; if it is jobs, then can it bye-pass the noun just in front and flirt with a distant one? We a re getting stuck with the same old modification debate.

D suffers wrong llism of co- relative conjunction 'whether ….or'. After whether there is a noun (job) while after or there is a verb (is)

E. comparing jobs with a job is improper.

So you may see why C doesn’t make the grade.
If we narrow down to the subjunctive form, then B is instantly out, as we have to use the imperative form of the verb - ‘be’- and not 'should be’

A is the eventual winner.

SVP
SVP

Re: Legislation in the Canadian province of Ontario [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2010, 12:01
and if C said "pay for" instead of "pay in"...wouldnt it be right?

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 12

Re: Legislation in the Canadian province of Ontario [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2011, 02:36
I chose C but the correct answer is A...:(
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Legislation in the Canadian province of Ontario [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2011, 15:02
In subjunctive construction
subject + verb (such as require) + that + subject + verb in simple form
However the construction in this question is
subject + verb (such as require) + subject + that + verb in simple form
swapping the subject and that -- "requires + of both public and private employers + that + pay be
shouldn't it be -- "requires + that + both public and private employers + pay
Is choice A acceptable? Can anyone explain?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Legislation in the Canadian province of Ontario [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2011, 23:40
I am confused about "that are usually held by men|. I understood that "that"is referring to "Skills", but looks like it is referring to jobs.. can someone please explain what is wrong in my understanding?

tashu wrote:
"Pay in" and "pay for" both are correct idiom, but here "pay for" is correct.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 26

Premium Member
Re: Legislation in the Canadian province of Ontario [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2011, 10:59
sanoasis wrote:
3. Legislation in the Canadian province of Ontario requires of both public and private employers that pay be the same for jobs historically held by women as for jobs requiring comparable skill that are usually held by men.

(A) that pay be the same for jobs historically held by women as for jobs requiring comparable skill that are
(B) that pay for jobs historically held by women should be the same as for a job requiring comparable skills
(C) to pay the same in jobs historically held by women as in jobs of comparable skill that are
(D) to pay the same regardless of whether a job was historically held by women or is one demanding comparable skills
(E) to pay as much for jobs historically held by women as for a job demanding comparable skills

IMO it should be B , Why is B not correct , can someone explain ??

CDand E are ruled out because requires in the sentence should be followed by that

Requirbfjdskxjb;ajf

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Re: Legislation in the Canadian province of Ontario   [#permalink] 30 Jul 2011, 10:59