Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:26 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [3]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20707 [0]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Re: Legislation in the Canadian province of Ontario requires of both publi [#permalink]
Legislation in the Canadian province of Ontario requires of both public and private employers that pay be the same for jobs historically held by women as for jobs requiring comparable skill that are usually held by men.

(A) that pay be the same for jobs historically held by women as for jobs requiring comparable skill that are
(B) that pay for jobs historically held by women should be the same as for a job requiring comparable skills

Usually "that" will NOT jump noun. Could expert help to explain the relative pronoun "that" in this question?

Examples of relative clauses:
Hurricanes that are born off the coast of Africa often prove to be the most deadly.
Film that has been exposed to X rays often produces poor photographs.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63655 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Legislation in the Canadian province of Ontario requires of both publi [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
hazelnut wrote:
Legislation in the Canadian province of Ontario requires of both public and private employers that pay be the same for jobs historically held by women as for jobs requiring comparable skill that are usually held by men.

(A) that pay be the same for jobs historically held by women as for jobs requiring comparable skill that are
(B) that pay for jobs historically held by women should be the same as for a job requiring comparable skills

Usually "that" will NOT jump noun. Could expert help to explain the relative pronoun "that" in this question?

Examples of relative clauses:
Hurricanes that are born off the coast of Africa often prove to be the most deadly.
Film that has been exposed to X rays often produces poor photographs.

The first "that" introduces a noun clause: legislation requires what? ... "that pay be the same..."

It does NOT, however, introduce a noun modifier to describe "pay". In other words, the "that" clause is the object of the verb "requires" and not a modifier describing "pay", so there is no issue with choice (A).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20707 [0]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
hazelnut wrote:

The first "that" introduces a noun clause: legislation requires what? ... "that pay be the same..."

It does NOT, however, introduce a noun modifier to describe "pay". In other words, the "that" clause is the object of the verb "requires" and not a modifier describing "pay", so there is no issue with choice (A).

Hi GMATNinja, How about the second "that" in that sentence? Common sense, "that are usually held by men" should modify "jobs". However, the preceding noun "comparable skill" is placed before the relative pronoun "that".

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63655 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
hazelnut wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
hazelnut wrote:

Hi GMATNinja, How about the second "that" in that sentence? Common sense, "that are usually held by men" should modify "jobs". However, the preceding noun "comparable skill" is placed before the relative pronoun "that".

I think we sometimes get a little bit too rigid with noun modifiers, especially when they start with "which" or "that." In most cases, those modifiers will "touch" the noun being modified. But that's not an absolute rule: all modifiers just need to be as close as possible to the noun they modify -- or at least close enough to avoid any confusion about the meaning.

In this case, I see no problem at all. The phrase "that are usually held by men" doesn't just modify "jobs" in general -- it actually modifies "jobs requiring comparable skill." So the placement of "that are usually held by men" is completely fine here.

I hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 322
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 4: 700 Q49 V36
WE:Operations (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
powellmittra wrote:
rishabchoraria wrote:

I picked A. But cannot figure why C would be wrong. Anyone who would like to take a dig at C?

Hello rishabchoraria

I can't find rule but I see some pattern:

If we have subject pronoun (I, you, he, she...) we should use "require that":

We require THAT HE BE here.
She required that everyone attend
The law now requires that parents serve on the committees that plan and evaluate school programs...

And if we have object pronoun (him, them) we should used "required to":

We require HIM TO BE here
The rules also require employers to provide safety training...
All candidates will be required to take a short test.

So it looks like in variant A we have word pay as a noun

Legislation requires employers that pay be --> This is first type of construction and pay is subject pronun so require that is correct

And in variant C we have word pay as a verb
Legislation requires employers to pay the same --> This is second type of construction and employers is object pronoun so require to is correct

If these pattern is correct then require that/require to in this question is a false split and only difference is "pay the same in jobs"
I again can't find the rule but think that pay in jobs is incorrect idiom.

Please note the following usages:

1. Require someone to do something: correct
2. Require OF someone to do something: wrong
3. Require OF someone that ...command subjunctive...: correct
4. Require OF someone that ..should... : wrong

someone = both public and private employers
something = pay
command subjunctive: be

Because of 2 above, C, D and E are wrong.
Because of 4 above B is wrong.

A is correct: it adheres to 3 above.

I still don't understand why is (2) incorrect? "It is required of you"

A few examples from notable sources:
Did you choose to attend, or was it expected or required of you?
The new york times - https://learning.blogs.nytimes.com/2005 ... -proposal/

I guess it's what is required of you to be a Winston Cup driver
The new york times - sports - https://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/17/spor ... -pole.html

VeritasKarishma GMATNinja
Value your opinion. Can help, please?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64895 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
harshbirajdar wrote:

I still don't understand why is (2) incorrect? "It is required of you"

A few examples from notable sources:
Did you choose to attend, or was it expected or required of you?
The new york times - https://learning.blogs.nytimes.com/2005 ... -proposal/

I guess it's what is required of you to be a Winston Cup driver
The new york times - sports - https://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/17/spor ... -pole.html

VeritasKarishma GMATNinja
Value your opinion. Can help, please?

There is nothing wrong with - "It is required of you" (meaning - it is expected of you)

What is required of a CEO? (what is she expected to do?)

In your examples, that is how it is used.

Ex 1: ... was it required of you?

Ex 2:
... asked to pose, take pictures ...
I guess it is what is required of you ...

"to be a Winston Cup driver" is not what is required of you. The public interaction is what is required of you if you want to be/become a Winston Cup driver.

You can also write it as "... to be a Winston Cup driver, it is what is required of you"

Looking at the original question:

A requires of B that pay be the same. - Subjunctive indicating a demand (active construction)

You are required to pay the same. - Correct (passive construction)
I require of you to pay the same. - Incorrect
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Schools: WBS CEIBS
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V32
Send PM
Not sure if this has been pointed above, but since the sentence mentions "men" at the end, plural form of the noun "jobs" should be preferred over "job" -> rendering option D wrong
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 337
Send PM
Why can’t we compare Jobs with a job? Why can’t a singular be compared with a plural? For example - my car, unlike their cars, is new. What’s wrong with this?

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 583 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Correct Option : A

Correct usage of "that"

Legislation in the Canadian province of Ontario requires
of both public and private employers
that pay be the same for jobs historically held by women
as for jobs requiring comparable skill
that are usually held by men.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Ivey '24 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
Require can take both subjunctive and "to + Verb". In the context of the sentence It is "the legislation", which is law/rule, and hence requires bossy tone. Thus require will become bossy verb, and needs subjunctive construct. C/D/E are out

Out of A/B it is easy: subjunctive cannot have "should". Eliminate B
Just a final check of grammar in option A. Can't se anything wrong, hence option A is right.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Legislation in the Canadian province of Ontario requires of both publi [#permalink]
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey Lonewolf,

So I've done my research, and yes, that version IS considered okay: "I require that you be here". Darnit! : )

It doesn't change the answer, however, or my explanation. Can I help further?

-tommy

Hello !!
I have slightly diff doubt. It will be great if you can ans.

Require + that + verb in base form -> this is cool no prob.
but in this sentence it's written
require of + that + base form -> is subjunctive okay even with 'require of'.
In my knowledge, require of is similar to saying 'expected out of'

Did i make my quest clear?

Thanks in advance !!
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
kunalarya wrote:
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey Lonewolf,

So I've done my research, and yes, that version IS considered okay: "I require that you be here". Darnit! : )

It doesn't change the answer, however, or my explanation. Can I help further?

-tommy

Hello !!
I have slightly diff doubt. It will be great if you can ans.

Require + that + verb in base form -> this is cool no prob.
but in this sentence it's written
require of + that + base form -> is subjunctive okay even with 'require of'.
In my knowledge, require of is similar to saying 'expected out of'

Did i make my quest clear?

Thanks in advance !!

Hello kunalarya,

We hope this finds you well.

having gone through the question and your query, we believe we can resolve your doubt.

Yes, "require of" is also a bossy verb and can be used in the subjunctive mood construction.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
Send PM
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

A lot of conversation here, but no one has yet really gone through it piece by piece and explained what the heck is going on. I'll be that guy!

The verb "to require" can function in two ways. The first is passive: "Something is required TO do something". In this format, we have the passive voice of required. You can't go active (It's not allowed to say "He requires you to do something."), and you have to use the infinitive form of the subordinate verb. THE OTHER version of the verb "to require" is active, and forms the subjunctive of demand (We call them bossy verbs). Bossy verbs always form the same way:

BOSSY VERB CONSTRUCTION: HE demanded THAT Sheila dance.
subject normal verb always have "that" Object verb in the subjunctive

The verb in the subjunctive may be tough to recognize. However, the typical present tense form that goes with the subject "Sheila" is "dances". The subjunctive is generally formed by taking the infinitive form of the verb ("to dance") and removing the "to".

Okay. Now let's look at the question.

3. Legislation in the Canadian province of Ontario requires of both public and private employers that pay be the same for jobs historically held by women as for jobs requiring comparable skill that are usually held by men.

ANSWER: Here we have "requires" in the active voice, so we need the bossy verb construction. We get the THAT we need, then the object "pay", then the subjunctive form "be" (it's the infinitive "to be" without the "to"). Looks good!

PROBLEM: YOU NEVER USE SHOULD in a subjunctive construction. In fact, should gets used SO OFTEN in these types of questions, that it's worth noticing it in all the sentences you look at. Often, it signals a bossy verb subjunctive construction that you might not have noticed otherwise!

(C) to pay the same in jobs historically held by women as in jobs of comparable skill that are
PROBLEM: The "to" is wrong for the subjunctive construction. Also "in jobs" is an incorrect idiom. It should be "for jobs".

(D) to pay the same regardless of whether a job was historically held by women or is one demanding comparable skills
PROBLEM: The "to" is wrong for the subjunctive construction. Also the parallelism is wrong. The wrong two things are being compared.

(E) to pay as much for jobs historically held by women as for a job demanding comparable skills
PROBLEM: The "to" is wrong for the subjunctive construction. "Jobs" and "a job" aren't parallel.

Hope that helps!

-t

Hi @TommyWallach/ DmitryFarber

I think that above explanation posted in the response for the bossy verb "require" is contradicting what MGMAT SC book suggests :

In MGMAT SC book, both the sentences have been shown as correct :

1. We require THAT HE BE here
2. We require HIM TO BE here.

The active/passive consideration is not at play in the case of the verb "require"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM

Meaning = the law in Canada requires that the salary should the be the same for both jobs done by women and jobs done by men.

Requires "of both public and private employers" is a prepositional phrase which can be striked out. So this becomes a subjunctive mood, that the law requires "that" pay "be" the same. This structure is used for subjunctive sentences, where in a command or an order is given.
So commands/requires + that + subject (plural/singular) + plural verb.

(A) that pay be the same for jobs historically held by women as for jobs requiring comparable skill that are *CORRECT*= Parallelism is correct. Same "FOR" X as "FOR" Y. And the correct usage of subjunctive sentences structure.
(B) that pay for jobs historically held by women should be the same as for a job requiring comparable skills. *Incorrect* Pay for jobs should be same as for "a job". Changes the meaning.

(C) to pay the same in jobs historically held by women as in jobs of comparable skill that are *Incorrect* = Idiom error, Pay in the job is wrong. It should be pay for the job.
Eg. = The Pay for this job is very less.
Wrong = the pay "in" this job is very less.

(D) to pay the same regardless of whether a job was historically held by women or is one demanding comparable skills. *Incorrect* = to pay is incorrect structure for subjunctive sentence.

(E) to pay as much for jobs historically held by women as for a job demanding comparable skills. *Incorrect* = to pay is incorrect structure for subjunctive sentence.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
smashingpumpkins wrote:

(C) to pay the same in jobs historically held by women as in jobs of comparable skill that are

(D) to pay the same regardless of whether a job was historically held by women or is one demanding comparable skills

(E) to pay as much for jobs historically held by women as for a job demanding comparable skills

Show Spoilernytimes article
https://www.nytimes.com/1989/07/27/business/a-new-ontario-law-matches-women-s-wages-with-men-s.html

Private employers in Canada's largest province are scrambling to comply with ground-breaking legislation requiring that the pay in jobs historically held by women match the pay for jobs of comparable skill that are usually done by men. In the public sector, the law has already produced substantial raises for women in secretarial and clerical jobs.

20 Sec SOl
legislation require that -----subjective construction ...fav or GMAC use of base verb be after that
be selective rather than eliminating others in this ques
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: General Management, Other
GRE 1: Q164 V158
Send PM
Legislation in the Canadian province of Ontario requires of both publi [#permalink]
sayantanc2k KarishmaB

Please correct me if my understanding is incorrect.

1. He required me to do X- object here is "to do X"
2. He required that I do X- object here is "I do X"
3. I was required to do X by him (Passive) - this is correct (infinitive is used, object is "to do X")
4. I was required of him to do X (Passive) - this is incorrect as object is missing?? is it because "to do X" now becomes part of the prepositional phrase " of him to do X". If yes, Cant a prep phrase ever be an object of the sentence?

The reason I am unable to understand point 4 is because when I ask "what was I required?". I get the answer as "to do X" just like in point 3. I am sure I am missing something. It would be helpful if you could throw more light on the same from the grammatical perspective.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64895 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
Kratosgmat wrote:
sayantanc2k KarishmaB

Please correct me if my understanding is incorrect.

1. He required me to do X- object here is "to do X"
2. He required that I do X- object here is "I do X"
3. I was required to do X by him (Passive) - this is correct (infinitive is used, object is "to do X")
4. I was required of him to do X (Passive) - this is incorrect as object is missing?? is it because "to do X" now becomes part of the prepositional phrase " of him to do X". If yes, Cant a prep phrase ever be an object of the sentence?

The reason I am unable to understand point 4 is because when I ask "what was I required?". I get the answer as "to do X" just like in point 3. I am sure I am missing something. It would be helpful if you could throw more light on the same from the grammatical perspective.

Check out this link first: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/gramma ... ut-objects

It discusses direct/indirect objects and prepositional complements which can be used in place of objects.

1. He required me to do X- object is 'me'
2. He required that I do X- 'that clause' acts as the object of 'required'
3. I was required to do X by him (Passive) - this is correct. The object becomes the subject in passive.
4. I was required of him to do X (Passive) - Incorrect. What is the meaning of 'of him?' You could say 'I was required to do X by him.' but sentence 1 is far better phrasing.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts