Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 20:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Lenght of RC Passages in GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Lenght of RC Passages in GMAT [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2006, 17:38
Hi All,

Can anyone please comment on the general length of RC passages that they have recently seen on GMAT? I gave the test in May and scored a 670 (Q 46, V 36). I am planning to give the testin again the next month.

In all the practice material (Kaplan, MGMAT, Princeton) the RC passages are anywhere between 50 - 90 lines. However, almost all of my RC passages on the real GMAT were less than 40 lines.

Wanted to ask other who have already given test if they had the some observation.

Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 44

CAT Tests
Re: Lenght of RC Passages in GMAT [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2012, 12:22
hello . i do not have anything to contribute here . just wanted to re freshen up this thread so that we can get some responses . . esp from those who have already appeared. its too old a thread but no response for this vital information required by almost all applicants . i have heard somewhere that on GMAT the passages are too longer than what we see in practice materials and some people do mess up timings due to this sueprise. . but unconfirmed source

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Lenght of RC Passages in GMAT [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2012, 12:30
According to my experience in all attempts i got 1 Long and 3 short passage. Short passages are dense in content and mostly based on Humanities/Social Science/Business. And long ones are from Science/Technology.
Long passage: 4 Qs
Short Passage: 3 Qs

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 44

CAT Tests
Re: Lenght of RC Passages in GMAT [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2012, 13:13
Thank you sourh for valuable information. Can you please tell approximatly at which question numbers does the RC passage start , i have heard that one RC is there at around 9th or 10th question and one does appear towards end at 34th or 35th question , which does destroy timing of many people. well if this is true we can surely try to manage timings in three parts because RCs appear to be very much evenly distributed . like we can plan to do first 14 ques in 25 mins . one RC over. then next 14 in next 25 mins , two RCs over . then we have 25 mins for last 13 ques. and on RC is pending there . . i plan to follow this strategy as i do find myself short of time in verbal so i plan to accelerate after every now and then to avoid continuous random guesses at any point . . whats your experience with this ??

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Lenght of RC Passages in GMAT [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2012, 13:29
U will likely get 1st RC at 7th to 9th Question. And second one between 15th to 17th. 3rd one 22nd to 24th. Last one 32nd & 34th. They are almost equally distributed. I got long RC in either 2nd or 3rd one. And last one always a short RC.
So when u reach last RC make sure u have at least 15 to 17 mins time. Then u can completely answer all Qs comfortably.

For Timing: short Rc: U shld take 6-7 mins. Long one: max 8-9 mins. Total Time Rc: 26-27 mins
U will get time consuming CR so for 12-13 CR Qs: 25mins
For 15-16 SC Qs: 24 mins max. (Critical Part: U need to cut down time in few easy Qs here to concentrate on CR & RC)

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Re: Lenght of RC Passages in GMAT   [#permalink] 20 Aug 2012, 13:29