Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 17:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Length of Essays

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Length of Essays [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2004, 20:31
Hello everyone,

I’m in the process of finishing my application essays and have a big question about the word limits. Rotman gives 500 max. for the ‘background’ essay and then 250 each for the ‘talents’, ‘failure’ and ‘goals’ essays, other schools are similar in their length limits.

I find that I ‘overshoot’ the length by about 20% - my short essays are around 300 words each and the big one is even worse – it’s almost 200 words longer than required. This is all after editing it a million times and getting rid of all the qualifiers, simplifying sentence structures, etc.

How strict are schools usually in terms of observing the word limits. What is worse – cut out an important part of the essay or risk angering the admission guys because it’s too long?

Will be really grateful for the feedback!

hala
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 334 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Length of Essays [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2004, 14:00
Expert's post
kosyura wrote:
Hello everyone,

I’m in the process of finishing my application essays and have a big question about the word limits. Rotman gives 500 max. for the ‘background’ essay and then 250 each for the ‘talents’, ‘failure’ and ‘goals’ essays, other schools are similar in their length limits.

I find that I ‘overshoot’ the length by about 20% - my short essays are around 300 words each and the big one is even worse – it’s almost 200 words longer than required. This is all after editing it a million times and getting rid of all the qualifiers, simplifying sentence structures, etc.

How strict are schools usually in terms of observing the word limits. What is worse – cut out an important part of the essay or risk angering the admission guys because it’s too long?

Will be really grateful for the feedback!

hala

Our rule of thumb is no more than 10% over the word limit. The adcom members don't sit there and count words, but they can certainly recognize when someone has really gone over the limit. And 200 words or 40% is much too much. I think you need to cut, especially from the long essay.

You might get away with it on the shorter ones.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

urgent help on UCLA essay ! [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2005, 02:49
Could anybody help me out with the UCLA essay limit. The instructions stated do not limit the number of words but do limit the number of pages. Also it is mentioned that uploaded essays must be double-spaced.

Does it mean that I can have a single-spaced two page essay or an equivalent double spaced essay ? or does it mean that even the double- spaced essay should be limited to 2 pages ?

Pls reply asap as the Jan 5 deadline is fast nearing

Thanks in advance